46 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2014 3:44 AM by the_eon RSS

matchmaking for the uk

hylndr

Hi hoping for some input from UK players on ps4.wtf is going on with the matchmaking when you live in the Midlands and constantly get matched in with the Spanish and French who invariably smash everyone and seem to immortal.now I just can't see how being matched with the Spanish  can possibly be the best online experience for a player in the UK .surely some sort of local search should be a part of the process.

• Re: matchmaking for the uk
          Raketti

The whole system seems completely random at times. I just played for a couple of hours (for the first time this week i might add because the connection quality i get on average isn't really encouraging me to play the game), the majority of the lobbies i got into had French, middle eastern and Russian players in them, often at the same time...

I'm not from the UK, but i see a similar problem, the French and Spanish are often enough the ones who shoot you around corners and you get horrible hit detection on them along with some WTF-moments, it pretty much feels like they are lagging so much their characters hitbox is still in the previous match.

Bought a PS4 today after months of should I? Shouldn't I? It came with ghosts and a years free membership to PS+.  Never played CoD before so I expect to get murdered (excuse the pun) I live in the UK and for some reason it tells me that the Ghosts servers are not working and I cannot connect to Multiplayer.  The bit of the campaign I have played isn't bad.

gambit1969

I am in Ireland and I get the same when i play solo, loads of french (kiss of death for connections), russia and even into the middle east.

When i party up with clan mates in the States the connection does seem to be a little more even and joy of joys, no french

oRLsx317o

I get melted by so many French players haha! You can always tell because you know they know that they have the advantage, so when you take them out you can hear their equivalent of "That's BS man!!" blaring through the speakers. Never heard any Espanol on Ghosts though; guess I should be grateful as that's even further away from the UK than France (assuming connections work on distance like that, I don't have a clue).

Gonzo75

Same here, it's one of the main reasons I haven't bought a headset yet, my French is not too bad, and I know a couple of words in Spanish and German, but its frustrating as no one runs as a team, it's TDM but free for all, with a few allies who are doing pretty much the same. Unless part of a clan or with friends.

The number of messages sent to me in various languages is ridiculous, I have to google translate the offensive message, which is always entertaining. I think I've been called every offensive name from every nationality in Europe. Had very few English messages in comparison.

Now I just mute everyone and play for the objective, trying to assist others as I go. It would be nice to be part of a server which only catered for their nationality, but I've played all of the other COD's and various other online games and all are pretty much the same.

oRLsx317o

Anyone playing in a lobby with me should be grateful I haven't bought a headset and just run standard earphones. Foreign or not, anyone sat in a corner with thermal LMGs and IEDs would be getting the worst the English language has to offer screamed at them

Funny enough, anyone I've ever sent a message to in Ghosts - friendly or otherwise - has replied in good English. Maybe I'm luckier with lobbies and lag than I first thought.

hylndr

Hi been searching the net to try to find how the matchmaking system works and according do acti vision it starts with local.wondering if you can possibly get a break down of how many are online in each country pretty sure they track this sort of stat

Warlord-Chojin

On PS3 i was always being placed with French and Spanish players and yes it was awful. I switched to Xbox and it was no longer the case. However, lately i keep being placed with Scottish and American players even at peak times and as you can imagine, its awful again.

Recently i was matched to NZ, then South Africa, then US east, then south, and back up to Scotland, back to back.

Sometimes i think matchmaking is to blame for the 'lag'.

I keep getting matched with Italianos and Frenchies. No point in even playing the game for me.

ButterflyDream

I am in South Africa, and play mainly during the day (offpeak). I can tell instantly how bad the level of lag is by using a sniper rifle, on lan/decent connection i am actually pretty decent cant say the same when there is even slight lag. For a game that revolves around reflex timing in head to head battles, 90% of the time i will die, initially i thought it was because i sucked, i later found out that actually most the time i am always at a disadvantage. On the worst days i have seen 1+second hit delay between shots. It gets so bad sometimes that i just turn on local play with 9 bots FFA on veteran. When i party up with my friend in the UK it is always non english speaking lobbies. When we get sick of the lag we just play FFA veteran bots or 1v1.

Maybe the solution is to get enough players together and run private matches. Trouble is, if you like I am then you only know 1 or 2 players that will play during the times i do.

aka_senior_84

I Live in the UK and always get put into lobbies with french and the middle east, im pretty sure there are people playing in the same country as me at the same time.

I Really enjoyes ghosts up until the last month or so, the connections have been apauling to say the least, getting shot round corners and putting a whole clip into someones back for them to turn around and drop me in 2 bullets is getting beyond a joke, i refuse to play ghosts until they sort it out.

mikep1212

this is definitely something they have changed recently, last week or so have been almost unplayable from the UK.

hylndr

Yes defo since the last couple of updates matchmaking gone to **** to honest

oRLsx317o

I thought that was just me, like my thumbs were no longer working lol

Lag has been so bad for me lately. I'm not on the best of connections, but it was consistently smooth in the past, and I never have ANY problems with it on 360 MW3. Now bullets follow me around corners, BS panic knifing (samurai sword - seriously, that lunge?!) when I've put 4 MTAR/FAD hitmarkers on the guy, or bullets just not registering. Seriously, I was on Fog Dom last night, had my SC2010 up rounding a corner (in 3hk range), shot a burst, and the first 2 bullets connected as usual, but the third through fifth didn't, and the other guy got his gun up (while I was shooting) and bam, I'm instantly dead.

I've gotten pretty good at adapting my rushing game to the latest influx of campers and other cheapos, considering I'm at a disadvantage with my wireless 50ms connection (my KD has levelled off around 1.83-1.85), but yesterday I actually never went better than 24-16. Many I went 1:1 (got 3 25-25 games etc), and even a ton of negative.

It FEELS different, and not in a good way.

Warlord-Chojin

Today i've been connected to Mexico, Canada and USA at UK peak time. Often. Oh and Spain, Germany, France, some Arab country. But only a handful of Uk games.

hylndr

Still need to keep this open

scotland-rules

As a UK player it would be nice to matched up with people being close by e.g. England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales but then again this is unlikely to happen because of player count.

There is only about 42,000 people on ghosts on the PS4 and even less on Hardcore.

Plus I think the matchmaking keeps things fresh. If we did the UK we'd soon tire of everyone lol.

scottfc

i bet you would of been the host in them lobbies too.its like no one in england plays this game

Warlord-Chojin

OK !

The last hour i have connected to Brazil, United Arab Emirates and just now sat in a match with an Australian and an American.

Ok so, matchmaking - laughs IW 'we don't need that anymore'.

Yes, lag is horrendous with it.

bagsta69

It's making the game awful, I lnow player numbers are way down but I would happily wait extra time to have some sort of regional matchmaking so at least I can understand the derogative remarks for going 3 and 19 for my bullets not registering.

Just undo what the hell they did last update please,

oh oh and this is only my humble opinion so please spare me the "it's fantastic for the majority comments"

there re is something seriously wrong with whatever they did on last update for myself and it would appear quite a few others

hylndr

Still no improvement in match making surely with 40000 plus online a few lobbies must be Brits

phxs72

There are brits online.  They just keep getting dumped into lobbies with the US, China, Spain, France, Brazil and Japan as do we all.  Somebody screwed up the matchmaking parameters about a month ago and despite all of the complaints it hasn't been fixed.  I don't know what changed but I'm in the US and I'm lucky to find a US lobby in TDM no less.

gambit1969

Dont forget the japanese spanish we had in a few games @phxs72 ..lol

phxs72

Those Japanese Spanish people are my favorites.  Blinking all over the place and they all seem to carry wonder weapons that can kill you in 2 bullets or less.  One thing about it though, playing against such odds is challenging.  When we do manage to win those matches, I'm always in awe that we pulled it off.

jnikoley

I've noticed that along with the matchmaking finding players from every corner of the world, and giving a terrible connection, the games are being found much much quicker.  It's as if the matchmaking formula was adjusted to prioritize quickness in finding games over connection quality.

Raketti

I guess enough people with crappy connections who also might live in areas where there are lower player amounts complained that they cannot find any games, and this is the result when they try to make everyone happy...

jnikoley

Yep. I believe it can be fixed and keep everyone happy by returning the option from past CODs to allow you to choose between fast games and quality games.  With so little time left in the life cycle of Ghosts, I doubt it will happen, though.

Raketti

Well, that didn't work very well in BO1, and only worked in the beginning in BO2 until they managed to ruin the connection in that game as well with all the patching they did.. I don't think we should have any option, either give us a server browser, or make the matchmaking system good enough to avoid these constant problems and the extensive lag that comes with it.

C_CHRIS11

jnikoley wrote:

I've noticed that along with the matchmaking finding players from every corner of the world, and giving a terrible connection, the games are being found much much quicker.  It's as if the matchmaking formula was adjusted to prioritize quickness in finding games over connection quality.

Maybe it's because people were complaining on this forum that they waited a very long time to be put in matches.

So they must have changed something to solve this problem and at the same time messed the system up.

Raketti

That is one explanation, and probably one that's highly likely too... But then again this series has had it's issues with the matchmaking before, and at least in my experience the problem is pretty much the same.

I hooked up my PS3 yesterday and played some older titles just for fun, and got the same impression about the matchmaking and average connection quality that i've had before... I didn't bother with Cod4 and WaW since the last time i tried them both had very few players and most lobbies were modded.

First up MW2, immediately got into a lobby with other Finnish players in it while playing TDM without the DLC, always on a 4 bar or hosting and didn't get a single bullshit death. It's an old dying game with probably not that big of a player pool left (the game does not show how many people are playing anymore), but the matchmaking just seems to be the best it's ever been in this franchise. I played for a while, took a little break and then unfortunately only found lobbies with people using aim bots in them so i stopped playing.

I then popped in BO1, tried a few games of TDM without any DLC, overall there were 49k playing. I used the Locale-search option and was always on a 4 bar, but in every lobby that i got into i was up against French, Spanish, Italian and / or Middle Eastern players rocking a 2-3 bar connection with the ability to soak up bullets and kill me after eating at least twice the amount of shots that should've killed them. Otherwise the gameplay would've been good.

Next up MW3, connection seemed a bit better than in BO1 and i think the overall amount of players online was the same, but again i was matched against some of  the 2 bar warriors from the same parts of the world. Some lobbies were better than others and it wasn't consistently bad like BO1 so the matchmaking patch they released for this game some time after BO2 had come out did improve it a bit, but it could be a lot better. I also played MW3 this morning and it was just as inconsistent, some lobbies i was struggling to win a gunfight and when i back out the host migration kicked in, so the host disadvantage is definitely still there.

I also tried some BO2 last night, again TDM with no DLC and there was 249k online overall, and didn't finish a single game. I tried 3 or maybe 4 different lobbies, and simply couldn't take anymore of the bullet sponging. I was always on a 4 bar and used the best-search criteria, but got a bunch of bullshit deaths against lagging players living in the same places mentioned before. Hit detection felt even worse than in BO1, but that's completely up to luck with the lobbies you manage to get into because other times that i've went back to older games both have been laggy as **** but the original one has felt worse.

See the pattern here ? I'm not entirely sure, but i think there are some differences between the matchmaking in each of these titles, but results seem to be the same. Ghosts used to play much better and i hardly ever ended up in the same lobbies as these players from these areas that i mentioned before, but whatever they changed has effectively made the game play pretty almost as bad as some of the older titles.

oRLsx317o

Ohhhh, that's where they're hiding. I don't get matched up with Brits; I get matched up with Ali in Gaza or xMohammedzZzx in "Q8" LOL. Seriously I'll play at peak time for my time zone, and only half of the lobbies are "local", if I'm lucky.

Something went seriously wrong with that "first" problem update months ago...

Raketti

Yep, it's been bad for a long time now, and just seems to get worse and worse. I also get the Middle Eastern players quite often, and constantly have to play against the French and Spanish which isn't exactly any better since most of them lag and sponge shots all game long.

I understand that i cannot get local matchmaking since i live here in Finland, but there is really no reason for me to be matched with these laggers either since i was able to find games and had very little issues with the connection when the PS4 launched and we only had 7k online at that time, but the matchmaking seemed much much better.

oRLsx317o

Yeah it sux...especially when you've put so much time into the game that you know what you're capable of when everything's working as it should, yet the outcome of most games comes down to fluctuating connection quality. I actually had a game of TDM on Prison Break last night where I went 42-2 (using streaks of course); next game - same lobby - I went 17-13 and I couldn't kill anyone that was actually facing me lol in that 42-2 game, the bullet registration was like it was back in January or February - flawless. In the 17-13 game, it looked like I had a 500ms ping!

Huh, I'm surprised at that. From what (admittedly little) I know of Finland, you guys are really modern and high tech? I'd be surprised if there weren't many PS4 users playing Ghosts there but then again, how would you even know? The matchmaking is broken so you probably hardly ever see Finnish lobbies anyway haha

You're absolutely right. The game played so well months ago...I think it was a patch in February or March that screwed everything up. One to "optimise matchmaking for Clan Wars"? Smh , good job IW

Raketti

oRLsx317o wrote:

Huh, I'm surprised at that. From what (admittedly little) I know of Finland, you guys are really modern and high tech? I'd be surprised if there weren't many PS4 users playing Ghosts there but then again, how would you even know? The matchmaking is broken so you probably hardly ever see Finnish lobbies anyway haha

The country is as modern as any other western country, gaming in general is popular, and we have good internet infrastructure here also... But since there is only 5,4 million citizens here and when you put that into perspective with the amount of players online on Ghosts and also consider that the DLC and the different playlists cuts us all into even smaller groups, i cannot really expect to get local matchmaking.

Fortunately many of us have good enough connections to have a low ping to a server or player host in central Europe or in the UK for example, but that won't do you much good if you are matched with people playing on a poor connection or living too far away from the server.

the_eon

This is a PSN issue. I moved recently to the xbox one and although the game is not perfect on there even with tiny player pools I mainly play Brits. I do get French and Germany lobbies but way less then I used to get on the playstation. Even when there were 400k on blops2 back in the day it would put me in French lobbies all night. No idea what the matchmaking is doing in the PSN.  Hell I even get players from my City on xbox live.