5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2014 7:42 AM by Run_N_Gunning_Camper RSS

What is a Camper exactly? This word is thrown around to easily..

WilliamCL57

I get called a cheater/hacker/camper often because that's just the way the dice roll if you kick someones ass, but in that video, that was one of the time I was literally laughing my ass off so I had to showcase it.

Anyways, the point of this thread is, what do YOU consider to be camping? I'll start so you have an idea of what I mean.

People that are adsing a doorway/prone in an obscured location just waiting for someone to walk by, sitting in a corner with your sights trained on a specific area.

However there are many exceptions to what I would call camping.

1. Getting cutoffs in Obj games (essentially defense while giving your team room to push forward)

2. Defending Objectives (doesn't mean camping middle of the map nowhere near and objective)

3. Sniping. Because honestly that's what I feel snipers are for.

4. Map control. This is a legitimate strategy. You are essentially herding the entire enemy team into certain routes like sheep and taking them out. We see pro's do it all the time.

I'm sure there might be something else as well, but you get the point. It's not black and white. This comes from a person who doesn't camp himself. I can't stand it. Sitting in one place is boring as well and pretty ineffective unless you're playing absolutely awful people that just keep running at you.

• Re: What is a Camper exactly? This word is thrown around to easily..
          L3g3ndarY_NovA

Honestly, your definition of camping is spot on with mine, exceptions and all. Unfortunately, getting called a camper is just the way that the other player 'let's off steam' when you kill them. There have been many times I have run across the map with an smg to kill someone hiding in a corner with an lmg for them to proceed to call me the camper. People just can't accept things in cod because they think they are better than everybody else. So when someone comes in and rains down on their ego, it hurts them really bad. This is when they will throw everything they have at you to try to get you to feel bad too.

Noctis Everto

Well thanks for saving me the time writing all that. Its spot on with my current beliefs, as well as what slopat put down below. It has lost all meaning, its just the simple "way it is" for people when they die.

I love getting to an enemy spawn in search, killing a guy, an have him call ME the camper. lol BUT when I play search I wait for a good min or 2 when on the attacking side, knowing full well that my job will be easier when the rushing nancies are all dead. <_<

Slopat

Some players seem to consider anyone who kills them a camper. The term has lost all meaning.

EJKHunter

That is exactly what a camper is. A camper is not a bad thing, but there is one huge solid exception:

Corner-camper: As you said, someone who sits, or lays, in a dark obscure spot (typically a corner) and watches one spot... they typically use AR's, but I've seem some definite winners with LMGs and tube attachments rocking Blast Shield... those are professional rectal suckers right there lol I tried to make that sound as amusing as possible, because there's a lot of them and it's easier to laugh it off when you see the ridiculous extents someone has to go in order just to break even half the time...

now I won't knock someone laying in the grass watching one path with a sniper rifle, because.. well.. that's what you're supposed to do with a sniper rifle... and I'm not talking marksmen rifles, those are more for point shooters and.. marksmen... lol snipers should not be mobile and should be able to lock down a lane solid... marksmen should be sitting in high spots identifying traffic routes, tagging anyone they can and informing their team when their covered region is about to crumble...

fernstck

Personally im a runner gunner and if im taking a whooping i will " defend an area ". But i think all camping is a legitimate strategy , and thats what flash and concussion..etc etc are for.

AntiGov

This seems to be a touchy subject for most. As a rusher in SnD/SnR I can only speak from my experience. I personally reserve the term for those still sitting in spawn on offense after a full minute has passed. I get called a camper quite often, mainly for sitting on bomb when the enemy drops it or for locking down an objective while my teammate plants.

idyb

Mute lobby. I always get them messages after a KEM strike or just some generally angry player who I killed too many times. Otherwise, I hear nothing.

L3g3ndarY_NovA

People just get butt hurt too easily in this game and their quickest comeback is calling out the most-used word in the Call of Duty language. It really doesn't mean anything anymore.

Shin_Ryld

"Camper" nowadays seems to mean "You did better than me and I have no excuse, so there."  This is usually accompanied by expletives and other language that is generally unnecessary.  I agree with idyb and mute 'em.

indy56

Its quite funny sometimes when you get called a camper, how many of you have just stopped to catch your breath when some unsuspecting enemy team member runs by and gives you that easy kill, for me ,lots of times, and usually you often hear the  second or two last comment through your headphones if you wear them that is,of the player you just shot,knifed or splattered with a launcher calling you a ####ing  camper, makes me smile every time.

katiecakes420

This is my favorite, When someone is camping in the same spot the entire game and i continue killing that one person over and over again, that person continues to go back to the same spot, then gets all worked up and starts calling me a hacker! No sir thats not the case at all, camping the same spot the entire game is going to get you killed multiple times over thats just how it works buddy. And yet these people never learn, a true camper will always be a camper. Grow some balls and move around the map a little!

Im_Old_School

If you have a group that is making callouts and communicating, the "Corner Campers" on the other team don't last very long in their corner.  All it takes is for one guy to die and the call goes out to the rest of the team where he is, how he's facing, prone, crouched, eating a sandwich, whatever.  There will generally be at least 2 of your teammates that will converge on him and end it. 

And your right.  Some will come right back to the same spot.  I have played a match where one of my teammates, after killing the same guy in the same spot twice, has set up shop at his campsite and just waited for him to keep come back over and over again...9 times (plus the first two =11).  Talk about a flat-line learning curve.  And yes, then he called MY teammate a camper!  My teammate told him, "I like camping in your back yard.  You got a nice tent!...Oh and your ex-girlfriend say's hello"

That ended it... 

HVK_DEATHSTROKE

I personally don't care about campers. In my experience with campers I would say 90 to 95% of them don't know what they are doing. By this I mean they will camp the same spot for the entire match. This is all fine and dandy with me as it makes them a very easy target. It doesn't really matter where you camp due to the fact that there are multiple paths to every "camp site" on any map. Yes I know you can run IDEs to help keep enemies at bay which is why I have a class called "ANTI CAMPER" AR equipped with Foregrip and Thermal, Secondary is the Kastet, and my must have perks are sit rep, blast shield, extra lethal for my frags/semtex, and marathon, I have a Thermobaric for minor damage, (that gets them looking for me), and then I go with a support killstreak to get a sat com, ballistic vest, and squad mate. If I don't get you 9 times out of 10 he will. So the way I see it let them camp and be easy targets. It doesn't matter how players play the game, classes can always be setup to counter a play style.....unless they are just better than you at playing. By the way this is all theoretical as I don't run this class every game. I only run this class if I have been killed in the same spot like 4 times in a row at which point I'm going to watch the killcam and find you. Then I come back to kill you.

nicedrewishfela

From the rage on Death Chat... I think you are a camper if you kill anyone at any time with any weapon.

Your definition of camping is the exact same as mine.  "Camping" is a part of the game and should be accepted by all.  Ask ANY military person who has spent time defending our country about the significance of "camping" to stay alive and win the battle.  Snipers are "campers"! Heavy Gunners are "campers"! Marksmen are "campers"! If you want to run-and-gun then by all means, do so with an AR, SMG or Knife..........don't complain about anyone "camping" as it is a vital part of both learning the game and progressing through a match.

I get called a camper all the time.  I agree with your definition.  I think a camper is a player who stays in one spot waiting on people from the opposite team to run by so they can kill them.  I will sometimes happen to be in the area where the other team is spawning, and I will end up getting lots of kills.  This is when they call me a camper, and say I am camping their spawn.  I am not, though.  If I get 2-3 kills in an area, then of course I am going to hang around that area a bit longer to see if anyone else is there.  I'll move around that area while I do that; making sure each room or part of the area is clear.  I don't see how people can have fun camping.  It's more of a waiting game to them, and I prefer to be strategic as to how I am going to get my kills.  That's what makes the game fun, imo.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

If I hear someone not running Dead Silence and he's not aware of my presence, why would I run towards him and put myself in a 50-50 chances of winning? I would track him, move into an ambush position and kill him with a high chance of winning. I get called a camper a lot of times by doing this tactic. A lot of these players don't understand that I can track their exact location just by soundwhoring and they think I'm corner camping. What they didn't know is that I'm moving for the kill and the killcam doesn't show the whole story.