36 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2014 5:14 AM by oRLsx317o RSS

Ripper or Maverick? What do you prefer

patjk4life

Now that we have had the chance to play with both what do you guys like better? personally me i prefer the ripper

• Re: Ripper or Maverick? What do you prefer
          Mikenasty_1

Both are mediocre... Ripper on DLC, and Maverick on original

Ripper all the way. The ripper is a maverick is assault rifle mode and is the bizon or cbj is smg mode. Easy answer

Id say that the ripper is closer to the bizon rather than the cbj. Thats a good thing because it would be op if the sub was as fast as the cbj.  The cbj has the highest ROF of all the subs. I can speak with confidence as I use smgs and shotguns exclusively in this game. Therefore I'm not sure what the ar portion of the ripper is closest to.

Mikenasty_1

After playing with the ripper the past couple nights, it is becoming a favorite, due to versatility. I enjoy staying in the SMG weapon tier as far a choosing a gun goes, and I'm loving the SMG version of this gun, while still having some a ranged option if I really need it. It isn't overpowered, but it is good.

The AR version is comparable to the remington (3-5 shot kill and not as much range), and it is the slowest firing automatic gun in the game at 600 RPM, with the bouncy honey badger recoil. The SMG version is far better, but on a map like stonehaven, where you will stay in AR mode most of the time, grip or rapid fire are great attachments to increase the ripper's performance. Adding rapid fire wont do anything to the SMG version, but it will bump the AR RPM from 600 to 720ish.

You are right, in SMG mode, the ripper and bizon shoot at almost identical RPM.

gotsomestars

Interesting. According to driftor(And I'm not saying he's right although he usually is) rapid fire puts the ripper at almost 900rpm in AR mode. I haven't tested it but it sure seems more than 720.

Mikenasty_1

You maybe looked at the wrong numbers in that video, that is what I am basing my stats on.

To save you some time, go to 3:40 on his video

oRLsx317o

Rapid fire increases fire rate by 17%. Theoretical fire rate is 674rpm, so that would be 788rpm. But frame rate and the game's old engine sees it limited to 720rpm most of the time, just as the stock rpm is 600rpm at 60fps.

Unfortunately the SMG doesn't get a benefit because it goes from 968rpm (900), to around 1130rpm. The next framerate "boundary" is 1200rpm (think Type 95 rapid fire burst, or PP90M1/PM9 rapid fire), so it stays at 900rpm.

But yeah, rapid fire is kinda pointless on the Ripper, as you have the faster firing SMG for CQB and the more stable fire rate of the AR to help counter the low damage at range. The increase in recoil doesn't seem worth it...you'd be better off going with a true master of all trades - MTAR + rapid fire

Mikenasty_1

Another stat guy, like myself lol.

oRLsx317o

Haha yes I am I think it's because I've fallen victim to placebo before.

I didn't start playing mw3 still late, and I thought the UMP I was using was 6sk at range, so I put it down despite liking it, but later found out it was actually 49-20.

Or the MSBS when I first started playing Ghosts. I got Ghosts early November, but my ps4 didn't turn up till mid December. I thought "yeah this thing melts" but heard about the nerf and started playing worse. Funny enough, I didn't get my ps4 until the MSBS had been nerfed, so it was crap all along lol.

Now I just check the stats and go with what seems sensible. Numbers are what see me play with the R5 over the AK, and because I do my research I know that everyone using the AK for its "rpm advantage" are talking *beep*

Mikenasty_1

Yeah, I didn't get ghosts until after the MSBS nerf, so I didn't get to experience the OP version, though it still is not that bad at times.

As far as the AK vs remmy thing, yeah... in game they basically shoot at the same RPM, so the winner is remmy.

Other than feel for the gun giving someone a personal advantage, numbers don't lie, and I enjoy knowing what is the best in the game.

oRLsx317o

Exactly. Being a deadeye fan, I love the range advantage and it doo-doos all over the AK when the red hitmarkers are pouring out.

One of the reasons I'm liking the Maverick so much now is deadeye. One deadeye hitmarkers guarantees that 2hk even if you don't hit centre mass (though you have the 50 damage there for when you're not on a 4 streak, getting deadeye hits every other shot, so it's viable up close), but the main thing is the 24 damage.

Most 5hk guns need 3 deadeye shots to become a 4hk at range, whereas the Maverick only needs 1. Therefore you only need to be on a 1 streak to have a permanent 3-4hk gun, which makes up for the Maverick's less than stellar long range ability (I'm looking at you, recoil). It basically becomes a better Ameli.

Yeah of course, facts are facts. I wish I could make better use of the SA-805 for that reason though its an MTAR with better range and less recoil, but I'm useless with it, and the MTAR is my most used weapon lol

On the other hand, the Ripper has *some* terrible stats but feels great to use. Its definitely becoming a new favourite.

oRLsx317o

I agree with this. The Ripper has a reliable 900rpm SMG for CQB. You keep your SMG mobility (ignoring ADS time), but get an in-built AR mode that gives you R5 fire rate (slowest in the game), low damage (FAD max at 34, Maverick min at 24 [worse than FAD, 5hk]), Honey Badger recoil (probably the worst in the AR category), and not so great range (3hk a hair past that of the SC2010, a 4hk range 2.5m shorter than that of the Maverick). The SMG has the worst 3hk range in the game for an automatic, even worse than the newly buffed CBJ (before the buff, only the CBJ had worse), and its even worse with a suppressor.

You get the two weapons in one, Overkill for free, and agility (irrelevant really) and mini quickdraw for the AR mode, but 20% slower ADS for the SMG. Apparently even the AR gets SMG hipfire spread but I picked up an MTAR and switched between it and the Ripper, and both Ripper modes have worse hipfire spread than SMGs, so it can be compared to the ARX-160 (halfway between SMG and AR).

The Ripper is bad to average as two separate weapons. This balances the "free perks" you get, and definitely helps the Ripper live up to its versatile tag, because it's certainly jack of all trades and master of none. People that call the Ripper "OP" make me laugh...

Would you take a CBJ/Bizon, nerf it, equip it, equip Overkill, then take the worst features of the game's ARs (R5 fire rate, damage worse than the FAD's, the SC2010s average range and the Honey Badger's horrendous recoil) and pile them all into an AR, then equip that in your secondary weapon slot? No, you wouldn't

I like the Ripper for what it is (I like having all bases covered, I guess. I've regularly run MTAR + VKS setups on certain maps), and I'm liking the Maverick more now, since everyone else put them down lol. Works great in Cranked when I'm not Cranked yet, and I panic fire someone running lightening fast round a corner.

I like them both equally for different reasons, but they are both absolutely average. You can't beat an R5, MTAR, Bizon or SC2010 in their respective roles.

Brexican94

I play both. Ripper is great for my standard run and gun style, but I use the Maverick-A2 as my main sniper now, so both are used regularly by me. (Both were gold after about 8 hours each, they are definitely my favorites).

FAI-HUN1209

I flat out love the Ripper ,its great in both modes  i dont even run rapid fire on it  i like being able to switch between smg & ar . good all around rifle . the Maverick on the other hand the rpm is slow but it kills good but still prefer the ripper

coimbrax

Between ripper and maverick I prefer ripper. But honestly I do not like either. My favorite sub is mtar and my favorite assault rifle is remington

oRLsx317o

My two favourite weapons but I do like the Ripper for its versatility (cheaper than running overkill, two guns and reflex, and losing out on crutch perks), and the Maverick for its 2hk niche when I get caught out in CQB, and its deadeye potential.

coimbrax

I agree w/ you... ripper is very versatility... but I always have to use the perk that bullets make more damage... or rapid fire (i don´t remember the name in ghosts)

oRLsx317o

Yeah it's still rapid fire but just remember that it doesn't help the SMG shoot faster; only the AR. Since you only really need fire rate in close quarters, and the fact that it increases recoil in both modes, you could probably find a better choice like suppressor, or extended mags

Mikenasty_1

Yeah, I think the only reason you should ever put rapid fire on the gun is if you also use grip, and plan to stay in AR mode the whole game, like on stonehaven. That being said, it most certainly is not the best choice, unless you really just want to make it the best AR it can be.

I have been messing around testing the recoil and ranges, and in all honesty, if you can pop fire the gun, you never even need to switch to AR mode.

Grip/silencer, grip/muzzle, or replace grip with extended mags and that will honestly be the best way to setup this gun. 2-3 quick bursts at long range will drop people pretty surprisingly fast in SMG mode. When I try long distance shots in AR mode, I tend to hold the trigger longer, and the recoil seems to bounces all around them at times lol.

Long story short, I keep it in SMG mode 90% of the time, and I do not have issues at any range.

oRLsx317o

Same here; I only use it on SMG suitable maps, but switch to the AR if I'm about to pass a sightline where the SMG mode would probably fail (like if I'm on Strikezone heading from A Dom to pro shop, and someone's camping sky bridge).

If I suddenly see someone at range and I'm in SMG mode, I'll just tap the trigger like I would the rapid fire MTAR. 5hk at 900rpm does the job

TL_Bare_B_V2

Depends on what i'm what i'm playing. The Ripper is a good solid Run'n'Gun weapon on HC but if I'm playing Core game modes for Clan Wars i'll pick the Maverick, it just seems to have that extra stopping power.

Schoat333

Neither TBH. I prefer other guns in both the SMG and AR selections.

BanHaMMer

Agreed, I prefer the CBJ with Dead eye, just can't get a handle on the Ripper?

It's bizarre,  even before the buff I was going 15 kills 3 or 4 deaths in Core TDM with the CBJ, now a bit better and I can use a Silencer. It really is a great little SMG Everything else feels way to slow now, including the Ripper & Maverick.

oRLsx317o

I wouldn't ever recommend deadeye on the CBJ bud :/

At 34 base damage, you need 2 deadeye shots to get a 2hk, which doesn't happen, because the max probability of getting a deadeye shot is 50% once you're on a 4 streak. At range, the 17 damage (or 6hk) means you need 3 deadeye shots to get a 5hk (incredibly unlikely to happen; maybe every 1 in 100 kills, and that's only on a 4 streak).

I recommend the Bizon to you all day everyday it has 42 base damage, which makes deadeye viable as only 1 deadeye bullet is needed to make it a 2hk (at that fire rate too!!!). It has the same damage at range, so deadeye doesn't benefit it there, but it has far superior range (especially if you compare both with a muzzle brake); it has a 17m 3hk range (1m behind the MTAR I believe), and a 16m 2hk range when you get 1 deadeye hitmarker, which makes it the fastest killing weapon in the game in that range, ignoring 1hk weapons. Not only that, but the buffed Bizon's suppressed range outclasses even the old Bizon's UNsuppressed range, and the buffed CBJs range too, especially when it's suppressed. This gives you a viable sneaky rushing option, which the Bizon couldn't previously do so well.

The fire rate difference, small as it is anyway, is irrelevant because on console weapons never (more like hardly ever, but closer to never) fire at their listed fire rate. They both fire at 900rpm at 60fps, but most of the time the Bizon actually out shoots the CBJ by 2rpm (lol), with a 906rpm versus the CBJ's average 904rpm.

The Bizon is also noticeably more accurate, with a better centrespeed (time it takes for a weapon's crosshair/iron sight to reset to its original firing point after a shot). So the only advantage the CBJ has over anything else in the SMG category is free AP rounds but, let's face it, they're rarely a decider in gun vs gun considerations haha

If you like your CBJ, or you're not bothered about focusing solely on stats when it comes to what gun to pick then good for you and carry on this is just a friendly suggestion, and from experience I can tell you that the Bizon is awesome post-patch

For me, I personally like assault rifles more than smgs. SMGs dint have long range. And the Maverick probably kills faster. My opinion.

ThePrincessSlayer

I must be one of the few that thinks the ripper is nothing special. Not seeing much for knock down at any decent range in AR mode, and for SMG I prefer the MTAR. Can't get into either set of sights on ripper either.

I do love the Mav though and probably take it or Rem 75/25 when I want an AR.

huntingnoluck

I finally got to try the ripper for a couple of games this morning. Much to my surprise I actually like it. Seemed to me that as an ar it has really good hipfire at close range. I didn't really give it a run as an smg, hopefully next weekend I can get a few hours in. Up until this point I was loving the maverick and I doubted I would have put it down.

huntingnoluck

I have had more chance to use it and I am starting to find that it is very limited (for me) in its usefulness. Long range it is no good even thought I use the muzzle break and grip on it. Short range I need to have it in ar mode for hipfiring. Weird gun, I think I might be switching to something else. I have been using the Remington a lot since I watched the cod championship a little while ago. It is a pretty even gun.

oRLsx317o

Yeah it has the worst range of all the SMGs, even the (post-patch) CBJ. Compared to the pre-patch versions, it was only the CBJ with worse range.

R5 = awesome, my favourite gun in the game by far. I want it to take over the "most used" title from the MTAR, which recently stole it from the USR, but the Honey Badger is a few hundred kills closer ;(

Mikenasty_1

Love the remington, by far the best non silenced AR/gun in the game. I have been trying to get used to using it without silencer, not only for aesthetics, but for attachments. RDS/ext mags is boss.

Mtar beats out the ripper IMO. Mtar feels consistent,while the ripper can be beast one game and hit marker city the next.

Even though I praised the ripper, I think I am going back to the mtar for the way it consistently plays. If you can adjust to the recoil and iron sights, you really don't even need an AR, but if you do, just make sure to have a R5 class, and you are golden. 

oRLsx317o

Agreed. The AK suits the suppressor far more as it has less range to lose (as every gun loses 25% less across regardless of range), and it only drops off to 4hk. I do the same with the FAD for that reason (and that hardly has any 3hk range to lose anyway). AK only drops off to 27m 3hk range.

The R5 on the other hand drops off all the way to 33m, though it still outclasses the AK up to its 5hk range, and its still a very nice suppressed range! However with out a suppressor, it has a 44m 3hk range and a 52m 4hk range. With a muzzle brake that's a 53m 3hk range and 62m 4hk range!! There's logic in using either (it has the best range regardless, but the muzzle brake range is astonishing tbh).

I'm trying to remember to play the R5 to its strengths when I'm not in FFA; if I'm using deadeye the R5 + MB 2 shot kills out to 46m, just 4m behind the MK14.

Firing 33% faster. In full auto. As a laser beam