1 2 3 Previous Next 105 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 6:03 PM by Shadowelite555 RSS

The community will be what kills Call of Duty

llarc84

As the title says, a lot of questions are asked about what will bring the demise of the Call of Duty franchise. Some say it will be the developers of the game, Activision, or a different shooter entirely. From my experience in the last few weeks with this game as well as Black Ops 1 and 2 and MW3, my money is going on the community to be what buries this franchise.

I say this because the play styles and tactics have become cheaper and more cowardly as the games go on. I'm not just talking about camping, but what weapons are being used as well as attachments. I have been in lobby after lobby where our team (TDM) was doing well against the other team, and in some cases dominating, and sure enough, the enemy team starts to camp with the tracker sight LMGs and all the rest.

I expect this kind of play from those just starting out as I certainly played that way when I first picked up the game as Ghost was my first online CoD, but after a while, you should have enough skill to move out the corner or from your prone position and get some kills. The problem is this kind of play is coming from those I would consider good, at least from what I see on their K/D and W/L. Maybe the camping is why its so high to begin with.

This isn't a typical "campers are killing CoD" kind of post I see a lot, but just my strong opinion from my observations. As long as the community keeps playing this way, those that want to have an action packed game will start to look elsewhere for their action fix, and the camping community, which right now is the minority, will become the majority. Just as an example, I gave Battlefield 4 a shot earlier today and left shortly after turning it off, because it was just too slow. Not a bad game, but just not action packed enough, which is why I play Call of Duty. Without that action, what do I have to look forward to?

So, in my strong opinion, it won't be CoD killing itself or another game, but the community that plays the game will be its end.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the long post. PEACE.

• 1. Re: The community will be what kills Call of Duty
          Izjar11

llarc84 wrote:

As the title says, a lot of questions are asked about what will bring the demise of the Call of Duty franchise. Some say it will be the developers of the game, Activision, or a different shooter entirely. From my experience in the last few weeks with this game as well as Black Ops 1 and 2 and MW3, my money is going on the community to be what buries this franchise.

Im not sure who is asking for the games demise, but you are correct one day it will end (like everything).

llarc84 wrote:

I say this because the play styles and tactics have become cheaper and more cowardly as the games go on. I'm not just talking about camping, but what weapons are being used as well as attachments. I have been in lobby after lobby where our team (TDM) was doing well against the other team, and in some cases dominating, and sure enough, the enemy team starts to camp with the tracker sight LMGs and all the rest.

Oh boy, another camping complain thread......how original. You realize that by addressing this your only promoting it? Has anyone ever thought that the best marketing is word of mouth (good and bad).

You dudes who prefer to write about how "camping" is a "problem" need to stop because all your doing is adding fuel to the flame.

llarc84 wrote:

I expect this kind of play from those just starting out as I certainly played that way when I first picked up the game as Ghost was my first online CoD, but after a while, you should have enough skill to move out the corner or from your prone position and get some kills. The problem is this kind of play is coming from those I would consider good, at least from what I see on their K/D and W/L. Maybe the camping is why its so high to begin with.

And it continues. The expectation that some players have on others is unreal. Why DO YOU think that someone else playing the game needs to behave according to your "expectations". Why are we expecting things from others?

What would make you and those happy? Someone just standing in the open aiming at you? There is no "rule" or "way" or expectations. This is a WAR game, you either get shoot at or you shoot back ------ difference is how YOU approach it, and not how they "are supposed to". No wonder your complaining you haven't figured it out!

llarc84 wrote:

This isn't a typical "campers are killing CoD" kind of post I see a lot, but just my strong opinion from my observations. As long as the community keeps playing this way, those that want to have an action packed game will start to look elsewhere for their action fix, and the camping community, which right now is the minority, will become the majority. Just as an example, I gave Battlefield 4 a shot earlier today and left shortly after turning it off, because it was just too slow. Not a bad game, but just not action packed enough, which is why I play Call of Duty. Without that action, what do I have to look forward to?

So, in my strong opinion, it won't be CoD killing itself or another game, but the community that plays the game will be its end.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the long post. PEACE.

This is exactly a thread that complains about camping, its another one of those whom flame the subject even further and probably adding more dudes to the frey of "camping" or what ever it is you cant beat.

Good one, nice job promoting the subject guy.

• 2. Re: The community will be what kills Call of Duty
            Run_N_Gunning_Camper

llarc84 wrote:

What do you expect? Do you really expect your enemies to use the same tactics and weapons that are not working against your team? Your opponents are trying to adjust and salvage the game. They are changing their tactics and here you are complaining about it. I get it, you just want them to keep running to their defeat. You don't like it when your opponents starts doing some counter measures.

llarc84 wrote:

Have you ever thought that each person plays differently? Are you expecting every COD player out there to play according to your standards? Who cares if they camp or not. What matter is that you win the game. The methods, tactics, and strategy used is immaterial. A kill is a kill. A win is a win.

llarc84 wrote:

This isn't a typical "campers are killing CoD" kind of post...

Yes it is. What makes you think your thread is special compared to the dozen other anti-camping threads? It's the same thing in essence. You are complaining about others who don't play the way you like them to.

llarc84 wrote:

As long as the community keeps playing this way, those that want to have an action packed game will start to look elsewhere for their action fix, and the camping community, which right now is the minority, will become the majority.

Stop expecting others to play the way you want them to. It will never happen. They paid for their own copy of Ghosts; let them play the way they want.

You came to the forums and expressed your dislike for people who camps and/or play tactical. I bet you are having a hard time dealing with them hence your dislike for such players. It is the nature of the community to complain about something that they have a hard time dealing with. Being Ghosts your first venture into online COD, you seem to be brain washed to think that your playstyle is how the game is supposed to be played.

IMO, people like you are the ones ruining COD. Instead of taking it as a challenge, adjusting and finding ways to counter what the other player is doing, you and your kind gets vocal and complain. 

• 3. Re: The community will be what kills Call of Duty

You are right, it's going to be the community that kills CoD. However, I see it as less of an issue about campers specifically, and more about the attachments and such used by people. The community wants things easier and easier, so the developers acquiesce to the demands. Support streaks, optics that highlight enemy players, high damage/low recoil weapons, contextual leaning,  etc etc... I understand though, it's hard to find the right balance between a game that keeps the long time players happy and one is easy enough to attract new players. Every release has had good and bad things to it because of this. The telltale thing is that list changes depending on who you talk to.

• 4. Re: The community will be what kills Call of Duty
                DocChoi

To be frank, this is a thinly veiled camper rant and we all have our different playstyles towards the game.

llarc84 wrote:

This is what happens when people get dominated. They either leave the game or play cheaply. For example, I had a recent game on Stonehaven (it seems all the interesting games are on that map for me) where my team was getting completely dominated and guess what, I had to camp it out and hold down a portion of the map to at least make the game interesting to rack up some kills without dying. Do I hate to camp? Yes, but sometimes you have to do it.

llarc84 wrote:

Usually when people rush spawns, the prone position is essential to keep the size of the target small and hopefully harder to see. Annoying tactic, but its something I use if I'm in an enemy spawn. Makes no sense to go guns blazing when the team is going to spawn around you.

Running around like Commando or Rambo isn't going to be a very effective strategy long term. For the guys with high kdr and w/l usually play conservative when needed and find ways to not die while getting their streaks in order to help their team win. Also for those high w/l players, there comes to a point where they play to win at all costs. Sometimes they rush and other times they camp.

• 5. Re: The community will be what kills Call of Duty
                  C_CHRIS11

You are absolutely right. But I will prefer to call this, not another threat that complains about camping but, a threat that complains about how other people don't play they way we want them to play.

This is a common issue on this forum. We have our style of play and we demand that everybody must play the way we do. And if they don't then they are no good or they are noobs and many other adjectives.

People must finally get it through their scull. There are so many play styles as there are players. What makes you happy does not necessarily makes someone else happy. Maybe not all players can play the way we do.

Play the game your way and let others play their way.

• 6. Re: The community will be what kills Call of Duty
                    Silvervette

I camp all the time....Love it---

If it makes you happier, call it defending---

All I know is, if you keep deciding to run around all crazy like, and keep coming back to the same spot, over and over again, I am going to kill you 99% of the time---

Ok, one more time.....If you keep coming back for death......I am going to just sit there and kill.....Well, that is as soon as all of my helicopters and griffons get through with you---

So, complain all you want, but the reality is, the game is geared toward many styles of play, adapt, or get killed over and over again---

• 7. Re: The community will be what kills Call of Duty
                      DocChoi

It's the general attitude of some players that are going to ruin CoD. For example, you have the campers/"defenders" that post crap about sitting still and racking up their streaks, yet when some of them get demolished, automatically the rushers are labelled as hackers, lag switchers or blame the spawns for generating enemies right behind them or blame the developers for making the more than 3 lanes so there's no where to camp well. Then you have the rushers that complain about people camping and expecting everyone to run around like headless chickens on recruit so they can get their KEMs and not use special optics as they are "nooby". Those things along won't break a game and aren't even real issues.

It's not people's playstyle that ruins the game, its pretty much people's stupidity and the era of the participation trophy where "no one loses". Players that are too stubborn to know that you have to adapt to this game and going against humans is different than bots. Players that accuse those of having incredible games of hacking. And when those whiners get the smack laid to them, somehow the report button is the first thing they look for. This is what pisses me off about this game, its not the gameplay mechanics, not camping/rushing/spawns, its the s***ty players in skill AND attitude that play dumb, contribute to a losing cause, rages at the entire lobby afterwards and spams the reports.

These people are not really a tryhard and not really a tryless. More like a trybaby, like someone who plays with poor strategy, gets blown up and cries like an infant expecting mommy to kiss their boo-boo

• 8. Re: The community will be what kills Call of Duty
                        llarc84

I think a lot of you misunderstood what I was saying. It wasn't a complaint against campers per say, especially since I camp sometimes myself. I went 30-4 in FFA the other day camping and have classes set up for it, but I'd prefer to keep moving. I also don't rush like a headless chicken but constantly check corners. I'm actually more of a defensive player then anything who can adapt to any play style.

My complaint was regarding how more and more people seemed to have stopped moving in the game. If your defending an area, fine, thats not a problem and a effective strategy that I use all the time. I'm focusing more on the ones who point their guns at doorways for the entire match, or entire teams who just never move making games go on longer then they need to. Its your game, you can play it how you want, but if more and more people stop moving and more and more games end in time limit, it doesn't feel like a Call of Duty game anymore. It feels like a Battlefield game with smaller maps. I play CoD for the fast-paced action and I can give props to someone who owns me by moving around in a gun battle or someone who owns me playing defensive as long as their moving at some point in time in that match. I just want to keep the game moving. So yeah, play the game how you want, but play the game. I'm sorry, but I don't see how not moving is playing the game. You might as well have just put the controller down. If the majority of players stop moving, then the ones who want to move and test their skills against other players will stop playing. Again, this thread was my opinion, not fact, but an opinion I feel pretty strongly about, and I'd like to see this game go on another 10 years, and in my opinion, the non-movement is killing the franchise.

Thanks for those that posted.

• 9. Re: The community will be what kills Call of Duty
                          gotsomestars

I give you a 3 on the rant.

And a 2 for the ATTEMPTED save.

2 fails.

1 2 3 Previous Next