1 2 3 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2014 7:49 PM by gotsomestars RSS

COD and External ballistics

Izjar11

COD,

After playing a few games of BF4 where it has incorporated a program to change a bullets trajectory from point A to B (relative to distance, aiming and angle).

Leads to my question:

- Would a program code that supports External Ballistics (more real bullet trajectory) in COD improve these games?

Meaning if they added distance, fall of and movement would the game become, Better or too Difficult?

Personally I find the idea of more "realistic" bullet movement, well interesting, it would (IMO) make a better game.

Your views?

• 1. Re: COD and External ballistics
          ghamorra

You're talking about the hitscan system and projectile system that a shooter can use? What I'm about to write below is my interpretation of how these mechanics work based on user submitted writings so I could be wrong.

The Projectile system has been in every CoD but only in weapons such as the Crossbow, Balistic Knife and what ever throwing weapon the game decides to use. All other weapons use hitscan which determines where you're aiming and applies a set amount of damage over the period to time you're aiming at a person. Everything else that makes it feel like you're actually shooting a real gun is fake aesthetics.

Really the game just calculates how long you're over a target, takes the weapons RoF and damage then determines how much damage to apply to the target. There's no other math to involve. Projectile actually uses a digital bullet so to speak. Each weapon has it's own specifically coded bullet that takes a specific path and then when it reaches a target it then implies it's damage. It's very realistic but at the same time it's not the most reliable. More complicated coding is involved and therefore you'll run into more issues with it as we've seen with the Crossbow and BK in Black Ops II. It's more susceptible to lag and therefore players don't like it as much.

Knowing this there's a third influence, player skill. Bullet drop is a very real thing and most players don't want to take the time to learn and understand it. You'd seen hardly anyone snipe and if you thought players were obsessed with closed, tight maps before just wait until you see how the CoD community reacts to a game with bullet drop making it even more difficult to fight over distance.

It wouldn't work in Call of Duty, the community is too simpleminded and the developers would have to undergo massive amounts of changes to implement it and ensure it works.

• 2. Re: COD and External ballistics
            matuzz

I'd rather want first even some form of recoil to the guns. The maps are not even that big that the trajectory would be that noticeable excluding maybe the pistols and low power SMGs.

• 3. Re: COD and External ballistics
              Izjar11

I would really suggest you play BF4 to which I was comparing COD in bullet trajectory. In BF4 its noticeably different, to me more difficult but as Matuzz states "the maps are small".

Im just curious, if more realistic coding towards bullet trajectory would mean a more interesting game.

I believe what you say G, but ever since they "updated" the SMG class, I've been getting long shot killed by Bisons like never before, and the "virtual bullet" was coded to hit me straight in the head from seriously difficult distance not really seen until the update.

• 4. Re: COD and External ballistics
                matuzz

Red Orchestra 2 has a realistic ballistic trajectory and it is defiantly a fun game and great mechanic but the maps in that game if scaled to CoD maps are indeed maybe ummmm at least 20 times bigger than the biggest maps are in CoD, that really brings out the need to think about your shots and you can even fix your sight according to the distance.

If maps would get bigger and more players in match in the future I'm all in for ballistics.

• 5. Re: COD and External ballistics
                  ghamorra

The thing about SMGs that annoy me is that the bullet that SMGs use are easily susceptible to environmental conditions such as wind and are easily nicked by things such as brush. The lower velocity of an SMG round means it's far less accurate and can be nullified by lightweight armor at longer ranges, however the range of SMGs bottom out at a fixed number which is barely less than that of an AR and that's the only disadvantage. As I've said before, most of the recoil of SMGs is illusionary or fake. It's just camera jitter so there's really no movement of the gun. Anyone with a decent amount of experience can use and SMG at range with no problem and since there's no real disadvantage at range minus the extra bullet or two needed (which is easily compensated by it's RoF) they're not really all that hard to use for situations that it's not designed to be used in.

• 6. Re: COD and External ballistics
                    iHattoriHanzo0

I enjoy games like Sniper Ghost Warrior and Sniper Elite where there is bullet drop and you need to account for wind in the shot. Specifically with snipers.

Just not sure how well that would go over with this fragile community at the moment.

• 7. Re: COD and External ballistics
                      Izjar11

iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

I enjoy games like Sniper Ghost Warrior and Sniper Elite where there is bullet drop and you need to account for wind in the shot. Specifically with snipers.

Just not sure how well that would go overt with this fragile community at the moment.

Right, I have played a few sniper games that are very very hard to aim, calculate and what not and those are fun but thats not really what I meant. I just what I mean or am trying (poorly now) to explain is based on my experience with BF4 which has a drop and distance factor to consider, in large very large maps.

But your 100% hattori, this community is more inclined to less difficulty than what is already presented.

• 8. Re: COD and External ballistics
                        iHattoriHanzo0

I never played BF, so you mean other gun types other than snipers are affected?

• 9. Re: COD and External ballistics
                          Izjar11

iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

I never played BF, so you mean other gun types other than snipers are affected?

everything, every gun has a distance to movement code making aiming and killing from distances well ( I say hard as a COD player ) but its more "ballistic real"

1 2 3 Previous Next