34 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2014 2:20 PM by half-megatron RSS

I.E.D. Overpowered?

Hello!

Feel the IED is Overpowed?

Me too!

Is there a way to dodge these Anti-Chirsts?

I don't know but do you

Leave a Comment if there is a way

Thank You!

• Re: I.E.D. Overpowered?
          Satakyn

Yeah, you jump in a direction opposite the IED. Or lay down if it is on the ceiling.

Seriously, you could have read the updates page to find this information out, it was a pretty big update when it happened a few months ago. IEDs are nowhere near as powerful as they used to be, before you'd just die no matter what you did, but these days you can jump away or dodge the blast in some manner.

gramthenOOb

I feel the IED is fair in terms of power.  Even so, here are some solutions for you...

1. Sitrep: Costs 2 perk points.  Is probably your best bet to outright avoid them.

2. Blast Shield: Costs 2 perk points.  You probably won't die with it on and it has implications beyond just IED protection.

3. Jump! If the IED is on the ground (which is about 90% of them), you can survive if you jump most of the time. 

Shadowelite555

IED has already been nerfed once. What do you expect? Its an improvised explosive device, its suppose to explode and kill you, so dont whine about them killing ya.

thebiindsniper

IEDs are a bit too powerful.  The devs essentially took the two powerful aspects of bouncing betties and claymores and molded them into a new piece of equipment.  However, with two crazy positives, leaves very little negatives.  As a result, perk related counters become too essential to the point where going without sitrep and blast shield is a death sentence.

Granted claymores and betties were annoying, but at least they were more balanced than IEDs. 

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Satakyn

You say sitrep and blast shield are essential or face a death sentence, but I'll be honest, I never use those and mostly jump out of the way of IEDs or run past them with agility.

Seriously, everyone complaining about IEDs doesn't know how to recognize the little blinking orange light on the ground. If you have to use help to find them, then you're not a very good CoD player. I see IEDs without help 95% of the time.

thebiindsniper

Satakyn wrote:

Seriously, everyone complaining about IEDs doesn't know how to recognize the little blinking orange light on the ground. If you have to use help to find them, then you're not a very good CoD player. I see IEDs without help 95% of the time.

That is one extremely bright blinking light.  Such a dead giveaway.... *sarcasm*  You must have the eyes of an Elvin prince.

Granted, this IED is in plain sight, but when are people going to place them like this?  They're mostly hidden in corners or on ceilings, thus disallowing a major amount of time to avoid them properly.

Satakyn wrote:

run past them with agility.

"Agility" doesn't really help against IEDs that much.  The blast radius still kills a running player the majority of the time.  If you want to test it out, try running past the IED (in the picture above) with Agility, without blast shield, and without jumping.  Good luck.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Satakyn

I wasn't implying that agility was a sure fire way to get past an IED before it goes off, but I have on occasion, without jumping or using blast shield, run straight past an IED (while holding a shotty, SMG, or pistol) and the explosion did not kill me, possibly due to the IED's poor placement, though yes, in reference to the picture you posted, Agility would provide zero help in avoiding the blast if one was to not jump away from the bomb.

Also, if you cannot catch those blinking orange lights on the map, then surely you've the eyes of an ogre and my elvin prince eyes will win out every time. I also apply my ability to see what's on the screen so well (yes, I do sit right in front of a 40in flatscreen, but why wouldn't you to be honest?) to pick out players blending into the background. This is why I never use thermal scopes because I can easily see people on the map without having to reduce my beautiful HD game to black and white all the time.

gotsomestars

"Majority" is a bad word when describing how often an IED is fatal. I've seen 2 guys EVER with a kill rate over 30% (with at least 500 deploys).

thebiindsniper

gotsomestars wrote:

"Majority" is a bad word when describing how often an IED is fatal. I've seen 2 guys EVER with a kill rate over 30% (with at least 500 deploys).

And how are you getting those stats exactly?

~RUGGED SAVIOR

gotsomestars

I'm not sure what part of "I've not SEEN " is hard to understand. But don't take my word for it, try it yourself. Start paying attention . As  a matter of fact, check yours. I bet you'd be surprised. Most I see are high teens low twenties. Like I said I've seen a grand total of 2 people that had 30% kill rate, and over 1000 deploys.

STEELERPRIDE7

Honestly, just wondering how you are able to see these stats?  Have you been in the same room with friends of yours or is everyone providing you with pics of their IED stat screen.  If 500 to 1000 deploys is the criteria, then that's an extremely casual IED user who got real lucky or just someone that went for that 30% threshold with only that in mind.  If they continue to hold 30% after 15K uses, then I would be overly impressed.  I get your overall point being that even at the extreme end of things, a 30% kill rate does not mean IEDs are overpowered. 

gotsomestars

AT LEAST 1000 deploys. What that does is make SURE the pool is big enough. But really any number over 100 would be OK. But thanks for unintentionally helping my point.

STEELERPRIDE7

I intentionally helped your point.  That's why I said, "I get your overall point being that even at the extreme end of things, a 30% kill rate does not mean IEDs are overpowered." 

Since the IED stat screen is only able to be seen privately by the account owner, I again ask you how you have "seen" multiple people's IED usage stats?  You can't go to someone's account and access that information even if they're on your friends list.  I've only ever seen one other person's, besides my own, IED stats and that's because he briefly scrolled over it during his class set up during a youtube video.  That's it. 

Medrano911

Just like Satakyn said IEDs are too easy to spot with their blinking light and all, and there are place were you can pretty much expect an IED every time. Easiest thing to do is shoot it, avoid it completely or just jump over.

thebiindsniper

The blinking light is not bright enough to be visually detected.  The only way I can see someone detecting IEDs is either if the equipment is poorly placed or if someone runs Sitrep in every class (like I do).  Otherwise, it will kill people more often than claymores and bouncies due to the lack of a proper non-perk related counter--and that's without Danger Close.

I run Sitrep in every class not because I'm smart enough to adapt. I use Sitrep because I am essentially forced to.  Without sitrep, every single map turns into a minefield.  With Sitrep, I go blind from how many IEDs I see being spammed throughout the map.  That probably explains why I don't get killed by frags, semtex, and throwing knives anymore.

Lastly, IEDs are banned in eSports rules.  If pro players can see them as overpowered, why can't everyone else?

Answer:  It's a free kill.  Who DOESN'T want a free kill!?  *sarcasm*

~RUGGED SAVIOR

admunday

IEDs were banned before the nerf, which made them very avoidable.

Plus, they don't exactly fit into the MLG playstyle, so pretty sure they would of been banned regardless (lots of things aren't allowed in MLG, doesn't mean each exclusion is OP).  Not really a worthwhile point for this discussion.

gotsomestars

Bringing MLG into it does not further your point. Those guys cry about more than the average gamer. And have done more harm to the community then good.

thebiindsniper

Funny.  I heard the same exact response when I complained about how stopping power, juggernaut, One Man Army grenade launchers, Commando, and Deathstreaks are unbalanced.  Where are they now?

I don't complain for the sake of complaining without any reasons why.  I carefully examine why such items are unbalanced (such as IEDs having two strong positives and not enough negatives to refute the overpowered argument).

To be honest, I would have been much happier if Ghosts kept Bouncing Betties and Claymores.  But alas, the community needs their free, easy kills.  That's also explains why the community loves MW2--because of it being the biggest noob-friendly multiplayer of all time.  I see a connection.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

PUR4IDO

Funny... As great as MW2 was, it was riddled w noob bs. Maybe they figured that by adding similar bs to Ghosts, it would lead to financial success.

My problem w I.E.D's is that they promote camping and you should never promote that in a game. If a player wants to camp, let them but don't give them tools to help them. Motion Sensor & I.E.D's are a plague.

Good campers have figured out ways to place the I.E.D's to make unavoidable, I tip my cap to those players.

gotsomestars

You did not hear the same thing about all those things because there wasn't a way to check. Its clear you checked and didn't find any over 30%, so you changed the subject.

thebiindsniper

gotsomestars wrote:

You did not hear the same thing about all those things because there wasn't a way to check. Its clear you checked and didn't find any over 30%, so you changed the subject.

A way to check what?  What are you talking about?

~RUGGED SAVIOR

admunday

They are completely avoidable.  Even if you don't see them, they have quite a clear and audible beep before exploding.

Jumping over them works fine.

OUHATEME

I Really don't find them op , there is a counter for everything in the game sit rep for the visibility aspect and blast shield  for the physical aspect of it. If I gave the blast shield perk the wrong name you already know what perk I am referring to. I could go on and on with counters to each perk, but the point is if you do not want to equip yourself against a certain loadout then your chances of getting spanked by it increase. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be . Your perk setup makes you strong against certain thing while making you vulnerable to others ?

obzi

I use IEDs from time to time and find only 50% get me kills, I recently tried them with danger close (Never ever used it before) but it didn't make a huge amount of difference, certainly not three points worth.

The best way to avoid them is to slow down and use your eyes, if you tear around full speed with no time to pay attention

to your surroundings your bound to keep running into them, I rarely get killed by them.

Be_sharp_Sabre

CBJ-MS Grip/Muzzle Break + Extended Mags

Sit Rep

Focus

Scavenger/ Fully Loaded

Wire Tap

Sleight of Hand

it works for me, also run the support streak (Ground Jammer) plus other two or just only the ground Jammer.

Thanks You for the answer I'll be sure to use your tips and classes

Eternal_Voice

Not sure it was ever overpowered. If you look at the hard numbers of uses, hits, and kills...it's always been a low proportion of kills per use.

WilliamCL57

I would have come in here before yesterday and probably said yes, but after avoiding all but 1 in a match that had a full team using them, I don't think so. I wasn't even using blast shield. I simple jump away from it when I hear it. You have to react quickly and you can get away. But blast shield will help as well as sitrep.

It just seems overpowered when you die from it, but when using it without danger close, it's unreliable and hitmarker city.

Ghosts In Depth - IED Nerf (How To Survive an IED) - YouTube

Carvalho16

The problem with I.E.Ds has nothing to do with their power.

It's down to the fact that they are ludicrously easy to use compared to previous iterations. At least the Betties and Claymores took some semblance of tactical placement. I.E.Ds benefit from having Harry Potter's invisibility cloak and the ability to let 3 year olds get kills.

WKMMS

They can be annoying for sure,  but annoying does not equal overpowered and they did get nerfed so that they could be escaped if you react quick enough. 

FalconR6

Stats I pulled from my create a class.

IED's (I rounded the figures)

Used - 8000

Hits - 3000

Kills - 1500

I'm sure everyone can work those stats out. For context I generally use IED's as a defense on flags, or if I'm making my way around a map slowly, use an IED to cover flank / behind (early warning detection with a chance of kill).

IED overpowered --> No

Problem is folks go 'O Shite, I got killed by an IED again.'  Do folks have the same reaction every time a grenade or semtex kills them,, nup. Do folks go "Snipers are overpowerd because they can kill in one shot?", nup. Do folks go "that guy had Ready Up equipped and was able to get on target quicker than I could?", nup

IED's are a piece of equipment which takes up a perk slot. If an IED is not equipped you would have the option of running a secondary, running a tactical, running an extra perk. All of which may easily apply a kill to a gamer every 6-10 lives.

Just like everything else in Ghosts IEDS have a few counter measures. Those counter measures can not only negate the IED, but can also give a gamer a heads up on the IED user.

Even before the IED nerffing, which was reasonably significant, I did not believe IEDs were OP in the first place. Folks just got, and still do, annoyed because it is an IED --> which is a noticeable death, one that sticks to the memory bank.  If you get killed more than twice in any particular Ghosts match by an IED, it would be a good time to think of a counter measure. Pay attention to what your opponents are using, not only during a match, but if you are up against the same players in the next match you can take preventative steps.

half-megatron

No, its people attention to detail that is underpowered.