21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2014 6:09 AM by iHattoriHanzo0 RSS

Sugestion for Advanced Warfare

While Ghosts used some dedicated servers along with player hosting for multiplayer, I feel that Advanced Warfare should have more dedicated servers for multiplayer matches than what Ghosts used. Dedicated servers eliminate host advantage and gives everyone in the lobby a more equal footing connection wise. While it won't solve everything when it comes to people's connections, it would be a step in the right direction. I know that it's early to discuss this topic, but I feel that it's important to discuss this to help shape the multiplayer of AW.

Does anyone else want to see more dedicated servers in use for Advanced Warfare and why?

• Re: Sugestion for Advanced Warfare
          iHattoriHanzo0

I don't know what we had or what we will have but I don't have many connectivity issues in Ghosts. Whatever Titanfall is using is wonderful.

As long as "host disadvantage" doesn't enter my mind like in BO2, I'm good.

Nitrobenzene

There was totally host advantage and lag compensation in Call of Duty Ghosts. While the game might not be a broken mess like Battlefield 4 was at launch for some people, and while it might not have had a lot of connection losses at launch, there was still some latency issues even if they were not extremely severe...

iHattoriHanzo0

If there's anything I've learned, everyone has a different experience when it comes to connectivity and every game has lag compensation. Keep in mind, I live in New York............ I'ld guess a very high populated area as far as multiplayer

For me.......... BO2 everything ran very smooth (no visible lag) but felt like I couldn't win gunfights. After lots of rage quitting, there was almost always a host migration (my theory of host disadvantage). It was like this until the spring and then there was an update that completely eliminated this feeling and host migrations magically disappeared. Possibly because........ Dedicated Servers BO2

For me..........Ghosts ran very smooth with some visible rubber band lag at the beginning. Gunfights always felt fair or correct, and I could honestly count the number of host migrations on my fingers over 16 days of multi play. I'm going to say, I played mostly on dedi's.

If AW is anything like the Ghosts connectivity I encountered, I'ld be extremely happy. I understand there are people that might have experienced the complete opposite with these two games and respect they might have a different request when it comes to AW.

Taylortvy

if they this call of duty to be "the new era" than they should do everything that they have never done before, and I'm not talking about little bits and pieces...change the entire game! make it look like that its not a call of duty that we used to play, make it totally different.

KingTJMac

COD Advance Warfare, should be fashioned around the same game play that was in MW3. I feel like the COD series has gone away from that style where I think they had very much success. If AW is anything like MW3, I plan on logging a lot of hours, unlike in Ghost.

DudditsII

totally agree with you. The way titanfall is run is a must for future cod games the p2p hosting is getting worse. Ghosts was the worst game because of this instant deaths no hit markers couldnt string 3or4 good games together? All caused by bad hosting from bad connection. For serious gamers servers make sure the games run smooth and theres no advantage. I play titanfall a lot and havent noticed any of the bull sh++ that happened on ghosts. If i get killed its fair i dont complain i know im getting shot and ghosts it was so bad i didnt even know half the time i was getting shot just instantly killed even though the killcam showed the player putting 7-8 bullets in me.

Tick7

Not to sound like a pretentious dickhead, but you guys all know that every single game that operates on the Xbox One has access to Microsoft's own dedicated servers, called the Cloud?

Titanfall uses it, which is why it feels so smooth at the best of times.

There's no reason why Activision shouldn't be using the cloud either. MS has told it's core developers that they can use the damn thing for free, as well.

maccabi

Tick7 wrote:

Not to sound like a pretentious dickhead, but you guys all know that every single game that operates on the Xbox One has access to Microsoft's own dedicated servers, called the Cloud?

Titanfall uses it, which is why it feels so smooth at the best of times.

There's no reason why Activision shouldn't be using the cloud either. MS has told it's core developers that they can use the damn thing for free, as well.

Actually "the cloud" is a generic marketing  name for anything hosted by a server , and /or  accessed elsewhere. when MS mention "the cloud" or " the power of the cloud" its just talking about having servers and not the console handling some of the processing load.. Its been widely ignored by most developers as technobabble marketing as its real time applications are extremely limited due to the bandwidth and latency involved in online games. After all the continual talk about how the power of the cloud would change gaming in their launch spiel  everyone was all oooh  and ahhh as it sounded amazing... yeah you got a ghost player to race against in forza.

What i think you are referring to is Microsofts dedicater servers placed in their azure server farms... as we KEEP saying dedis are only as good as where YOU are in relation to them .

"What i think you are referring to is Microsofts dedicater servers placed in their azure server farms... as we KEEP saying dedis are only as good as where YOU are in relation to them."

And a majority of players are in good relation to them. If you're not, you get a connection more like ghosts has.

thebiindsniper

Dedicated server support is very expensive to support a game like Call of Duty.  Yes, the company makes a huge profit when those games are released, but the majority of that profit is used to cover the cost of the next title in development, paying the employees, expanding the business, donations, and more.

Besides, the p2p connection can be very good if handled properly.  Ghosts had some excellent hit detection for the most part--the best I've seen since MW2 due to the removal of theater mode. 

If we want flawless connections, then the problem isn't the servers or the lack of dedicated servers--it's us.  A lot of people don't have good internet and also don't understand that Wifi is unstable.  Once people fix their internet problems, then we'll have better quality lobbies.  Until then, people will continue to steal wifi signals from their neighbors or local McDonald's.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

thebiindsniper wrote:

Dedicated server support is very expensive to support a game like Call of Duty.  Yes, the company makes a huge profit when those games are released, but the majority of that profit is used to cover the cost of the next title in development, paying the employees, expanding the business, donations, and more.

Besides, the p2p connection can be very good if handled properly.  Ghosts had some excellent hit detection for the most part--the best I've seen since MW2 due to the removal of theater mode.

If we want flawless connections, then the problem isn't the servers or the lack of dedicated servers--it's us.  A lot of people don't have good internet and also don't understand that Wifi is unstable.  Once people fix their internet problems, then we'll have better quality lobbies.  Until then, people will continue to steal wifi signals from their neighbors or local McDonald's.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

So the games that use dedicated servers don't cover the cost of the next title in development, paying the employees, expanding the business, donations, and more?

I do think that every player in the world that plays cod will get great internet really soon. As soon as you pay for it.

turkey3_scratch

Yes, as said, look at Titanfall. In Call of Duty Ghosts, if I move behind a wall I can still get shot and killed sue to there being a large delay of ping. However, in Titnfall my ping reaches the server within 1 or 2 frames.