24 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 11:24 AM by godlyintellect RSS

Corner Trapping

Zombie-Hell-Fire

Is it against the CoC to trap a player in the corner?

• Re: Corner Trapping
          gambit1969

That is something best answered by a moderator, i would say yes it is against the spirit of the CoC

nicedrewishfela

I'd report it as Exploiting, as they are exploiting an In-Game Mechanic against the spirit of the game.

Another reason Ricochet is a terrible idea in HC.

Shadowelite555

Nooo-ish. I wouldnt say it's against the CoC, but it's not a nice thing to do. They aren't necessarily breaking any rules, but it is a **** move.

Zombie-Hell-Fire

So if player A corners player B, Player B reports player A, will there be actions taken? 

DocChoi

I would say its in the grey zone, it is a form of griefing. Then again, it's more of a nuisance rather than abuse. IMO its a game and people should relax, but people paid $60 dollars to not have someone trap them so they can't move.

But if someone were to do that to a corner camper, I wouldn't mind at all

slyd0g55

If you don't mind keeping him in the corner than do it! Other comments are to generous, those who corner sit (constantly) have to come to an understanding that this type of play is frowned upon 

f1r3dra90n

I have had this happen a couple times while trying to snipe.  (StoneHaven & White Out) Game starts, run to one corner of the map to snipe as the enemy comes out of their spawn (the castle or off of the ship) and a minute or two later someone comes along and plops down right in front of me pinning me in the corner.  I can't get out from behind him to get a new spot and even though I was there first I guess this was "his/her" spot.  I don't stay there long but it is usually a good place for me to pick up a kill or two.  It is really annoying but I wouldn't consider it an exploit.

I usually don't mind the campers because I will try to use them to an advantage.  Have them watch my back while I snipe the other way or know where they are so I know where the enemy isn't.  I try to find the best way to use the maps and if I am familiar with a player I will try to adjust so as a team we do better. 

*Edited - Included maps and locations*

ghamorra

It's exploitation. Anything act that prohibits a player from free will is against CoC. Softly trapping the player in a corner, such as hiding around the corner from a know spawn, though aggravating and annoying as Hell, is perfectly fine. It's not your fault that the game made a poor spawn choice. But ADSing the spot or just off the spot enough to encourage the spawner to spawn in that location while still in position to make the immediate kill is wrong and a bannable offense. The player must be able to act upon free will and have the ability to make action (think of it like NFL rules for whether the ball was caught. If the player has maintains possession long enough to make a "football" move then it's a catch. Same goes for spawns, if the spawner can make a CoD like move before getting shot it's ok)

brsox

It's very easy to avoid being trapped in a corner.

godlyintellect

lol if they are sitting in the corner for a substantial amount of time then they deserved it, now if someone is sitting in a corner waiting for someone to spawn so they can corner trap them then that is a different story lol! i dont like getting trapped in the corner but if you were there before the person who trapped you was then i think you just had it coming lol! you have legs use them

TL_Bare_B_V2

Corner trapping doesn't break any rule, its just a **** move.

Doctorpsylus

its exploiting

same as the terminal doorways in infected are used by idiots tryin 2 get the win for sole remaining player (infuriatingly always the same name with a 2 on the end!! how original!)

stand in the doorway & then claiming you were in the bog doesnt cut it,wouldnt spawn you in a doorway anyway.

C_CHRIS11

Blocking a guy in a corner is anti athletic and not a fair play. If he wants to sit in a corner the whole game that's his right. You have no right to block him in the corner so that you can force him to play the way you want.

slyd0g55

Not that I do it,(may have couple times) ,but if they can play like that , then I too have the right to play how I want , BO2 did it the best  with the UAV , those who don't participate in objective mode games deserve to be trapped,, If I wasn't to concern with my score I would do it more often. Every player that consider it's exploiting or not user friendly has a mentality that should consider playing another shoot em up game because this type of play if done by both sides would result in a boring match or if you could call it a match, Games modes like S&D are exempt  - DOWN WITH CAMPERS/CORNER SITTERS 

sparyandpray

happen 2 me 2 when other players c u get lot of kills in 1 spot they try 2 block u & steal ur kills

godlyintellect

ill have to admit that i do trap people in infected in the corner in the beginning of the game to be funny when we hide in a group from being first infected but all in good jest lol.

phxs72

According to the 2nd paragraph of the Ghosts terms, any behavior that violates the spirit of the game is subject to punishment.  That's a pretty open ended statement which gives them great latitude to do or not do as they please.

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-Online-Cod e-of-Conduct

According to Section 3 of the PSN terms, "you may not abuse or harass others, including stalking behavior."  I would think that corner blocking could be considered harassment.

Sony Entertainment Network

The closest thing that I could find in the Xbox Terms is the first item in Section B.  It's similar to the Sony version.

Xbox LIVE Code of Conduct

godlyintellect

open ended is right because all of that depends on the eyes of the beholder. spirit of the game can include fun which may be something a corner trapper sees as fun lol.

DocChoi

phxs72 wrote:

According to the 2nd paragraph of the Ghosts terms, any behavior that violates the spirit of the game is subject to punishment.  That's a pretty open ended statement which gives them great latitude to do or not do as they please.

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-Online-Cod e-of-Conduct

That is super vague. If someone stomps a lobby or a team manipulates spawns and makes an entire team rage, technically that violates the spirit of the game. Analogous to lopsided Little League games without mercy rule. According to that, playing cleanly but extremely well is punishable?!

godlyintellect

haha yep once again circumstances and eye of the beholder

phxs72

Depends on the judge I suppose.  While I doubt anyone would be punished for doing well, how they did so well certainly could cause the hammer to fall.  I'm sure internally IW has more defined rules of what is and isn't punishable but all that we can do is speculate.  Off course they did peel back the curtain a little and tell us that Spawn Killing (not trapping) is bannable.  So we know a little of what those internal rules look like.  Do I think that they would punish a corner trapper? No I don't even though I wish that they would.  However, I have seen a rash of 1 hour bans (including a stat reset) that has popped up this year and I have no idea what is triggering those.  That short of a ban has never existed before that I'm aware of which leads me to think that some annoying behavior that might have gotten glossed over in the past now has consequences.  Maybe just maybe they've decided to finally address the trolling?  But we'll probably never know.

godlyintellect

yeah ive seen people get completely reset for absolutely no reason whatsoever. they were decent players who had played a while and didnt break any rules, no modded lobbies or anything just reset for no reason.

phxs72

They did have an update error earlier this year that caused a bunch of false bans but those got reversed at least for those that went through the process of reporting it.  However, in the last couple of weeks I've been seeing a number of 1 hour ban/reset posts go up.  Of course, they all claim innocence but I've only seen one time in the last several years where someone actually admitted to their wrongdoing.  Most of those that post their innocence can't even survive a 5 minute search on their gamertag before the limited resources of our forum sleuths hand them 4 or 5 screenshots of their illicit recent activities that could have easily caused their ban.