44 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2014 11:05 AM by C_CHRIS11 RSS

Micro Transactions - How They Should Be Done

alexjt22

I think Activision need to take a long hard look at themselves because their player base is dwindling by the year and micro transactions seem to be increasing by the year which I don't think is a good combo for the long run but I do think there is way for both players and Activision to have their cake and eat it.

First off its pretty clear that micro transactions are becoming more frequent and I don't think its long till we have a call of duty infested with them with Activision having a micro transaction only game with COD online in china and a statement from the last financial meeting where Bobby Kotick said we have changed COD into a 3 year development time with one of the reasons being so each studio can spend more time making high profit DLC and Micro transactions.

I think that micro transactions should be used as short cuts rather than pay to get only DLC, so every single camo, player skins, extra custom class slots, playercard emblems and titles, reticle's and possibly even weapons could be able to be earned in game through a redesigned carefully worked reward system that rewards people that play the game a lot with out giving out advantages to those people, but if you don't want to or have time to grind to earn everything then if want extra slots or a certain camo's whether that be red tiger that ships with the game or duck camo that comes after release then you can pay for it without having to spend time doing multiple challenges to earn a certain amount of custom points to earn it in game.

I think this kind of system will give players incentive to keep playing the game as it feels like your gaining big rewards by getting stuff for free and at the same time Activision will have more players online, less second hand sells, more map pack sales and lets face it more money from micro transactions because lets face it most people in today's world are lazy take the easy option.

What are your thoughts on micro transactions as its clear they are hear to stay how would you like to see them integrated?

• Re: Micro Transactions - How They Should Be Done
          Rambler330

Micro-transactions should be limited to cosmetic enhancements only. They should not include anything that can possible affect game play. A good example is the Wolf skin for Riley. It should not be used to buy upgraded weapons or extra custom classes.

Micro-transactions have ruined gaming on the Android and IOS platforms.

I for one, won't be purchasing camos/skins in the future and if Activision adds the ability to purchase game changing upgrades, I will be leaving the COD series behind.

As far as I am concerned this is my last CoD because of this practice they are trying to do. Soon the game will be just the core game(free to play) and everything else will be dlc and mt's(pay to win). That way they don't have to do as much each year around toward development of the game..except focus on the dlc and mt's. The china CoD online is a test model to see how well it would work. Next is to try and find a way to advertize and hype it up for the rest of the world to accept it. with the increase in MT's that happening in the game its not far off from being what I said and warned it would eventually be back in past games when they started doing this.

alexjt22

trialstardragon wrote:

As far as I am concerned this is my last CoD because of this practice they are trying to do. Soon the game will be just the core game(free to play) and everything else will be dlc and mt's(pay to win). That way they don't have to do as much each year around toward development of the game..except focus on the dlc and mt's. The china CoD online is a test model to see how well it would work. Next is to try and find a way to advertize and hype it up for the rest of the world to accept it. with the increase in MT's that happening in the game its not far off from being what I said and warned it would eventually be back in past games when they started doing this.

I agree, I think its terrible how it is now and how it looks to be getting worse with each instalment. I think if they implemented Micro transaction the way I said it people wouldn't have a big issue and would in fact it would be beneficial for them in the long run instead of trying to nickel & dime everyone now which is turning people away from the game.

matuzz
                • Only cosmetic.
                • Not content that is first locked in the disc and then you can buy to open them.
                • Cheap.... something like camo can be done in 20 minutes.
                  nicedrewishfela

So you think you want people paying for things they should be earning? WHAT?

No, Micro DLC should be limited to non-gameplay impacting add ons such as Camos and backgrounds. The Extra Slots they are offering is an insult to all of us.

alexjt22

nicedrewishfela wrote:

So you think you want people paying for things they should be earning? WHAT?

No, Micro DLC should be limited to non-gameplay impacting add ons such as Camos and backgrounds. The Extra Slots they are offering is an insult to all of us.

No, just the ability to pay for Camos, Backgrounds, Extra Slots ETC but also the ability to earn every single piece single piece by playing the game just like we used to (10 slots was reward for 10th prestige remember and that's the kind of reward system I am talking about here)

So what I am saying is if you don't want to grind like I am sure quite a lot of people don't then they can just buy these things but if you play the game enough then you will get everything for free by earning it in game including content after release that way everyone wins the customer gets what it used to have & more and Activision gets money from the dumb fcks that want to buy short cuts with micro transactions.

Its nothing to do about charging people with what they used to earn just the opposite I want every single bit of content including post release content to be able to be earned by simply just playing the game but I also know that Activision are only just getting started with Micro-Transactions, its easy to say get rid of them but finding a compromise is what I am talking about here (something I don't think most people get on this forum) a compromise where both parties win.

rlbl

alexjt22 wrote:

So what I am saying is if you don't want to grind like I am sure quite a lot of people don't then they can just buy these things but if you play the game enough then you will get everything for free by earning it in game including content after release that way everyone wins the customer gets what it used to have & more and Activision gets money from the dumb fcks that want to buy short cuts with micro transactions

Harsh!!!

but you make an excellent point (imho).  In another game they gave players, who paid extra, all the gun unlocks (as a bonus along with DLC etc...)

However, those guns can also be unlocked by those who do not wish to pay extra, and go through the grind.

Summary (as you have indicated): Everyone has the opportunity to get everything, but those who want it faster can simply pay for it (camos, skins, etc...)

alexjt22

rlbl wrote:

alexjt22 wrote:

So what I am saying is if you don't want to grind like I am sure quite a lot of people don't then they can just buy these things but if you play the game enough then you will get everything for free by earning it in game including content after release that way everyone wins the customer gets what it used to have & more and Activision gets money from the dumb fcks that want to buy short cuts with micro transactions

Harsh!!!

but you make an excellent point (imho).  In another game they gave players, who paid extra, all the gun unlocks (as a bonus along with DLC etc...)

However, those guns can also be unlocked by those who do not wish to pay extra, and go through the grind.

Summary (as you have indicated): Everyone has the opportunity to get everything, but those who want it faster can simply pay for it (camos, skins, etc...)

your right it was harsh and in fact totally wrong I just got off from playing ghosts and saw 50%+ of every lobby owning multiple pieces of DLC and probably had dumb ***** in my mind as I don't feel its right the way it is done now.

But yeah you have it spot on.

nuttin2say

I understand your frustration with DLC, but your is counterproductive toward your aimed goal.

First of all, I'll grant that the intent of DLC is NOT to force players to pay more. You'll have to look up where I explained this in the past. DLC is the result of a real economic phenomenon known as "marginal utility." There are players who would pay more for the game than the current price of the game. The bulk of the community, however, is not willing to pay more. To capture that extra potential income, they offer DLC (which costs very little more to produce).

However, I think the reason ATVI decided to charge for extra CACs has to do with their interpretation of player data regarding CAC slots. The overwhelming majority of the community never reaches 10th prestige. In fact, I doubt the bulk of the community gets to 5th prestige. So when you look at the median number of slots used by the community, you probably get five per player. Thus, in their minds, offering six CAC slots is offering you more slots than the average player will ever use.

Those that get to 10th prestige and normally have 10 slots are the players that put in far more than the median amount of time playing the game. This gives such players an advantage when it comes to experience and unlocked weapons, perks, etc. Plus the above median player are probably your most ardent fans. Which means they are probably the largest consumers of DLC.

All of that combines in the minds of the actuaries/statisticians deciphering the data the impression that those that play the most are the most likely to purchase game add-ons. If you look at non-FPS games, that's probably easily recognizable as ... true. Combine that with marginal utility and, from a business perspective, it is actually a smart decision. Even if it alienates some players, they will still earn more revenue.

That's how modern business models work. Can't say I like it or that it is "fair," but they do have shareholders to answer to. In fact, I'll just flat out say it - I don't like it and if you're going to apply this particular method to increasing revenue, you also have to look at the rest of economic theory. Doing that, there is a dead end ahead. Perhaps that is what modern MBAs are taught ... but it does not account for how some companies remain vibrant and very profitable for decades by providing their customers with more product and service than the customer bargained for.

alexjt22

nuttin2say wrote:

I understand your frustration with DLC, but your is counterproductive toward your aimed goal.

First of all, I'll grant that the intent of DLC is NOT to force players to pay more. You'll have to look up where I explained this in the past. DLC is the result of a real economic phenomenon known as "marginal utility." There are players who would pay more for the game than the current price of the game. The bulk of the community, however, is not willing to pay more. To capture that extra potential income, they offer DLC (which costs very little more to produce).

However, I think the reason ATVI decided to charge for extra CACs has to do with their interpretation of player data regarding CAC slots. The overwhelming majority of the community never reaches 10th prestige. In fact, I doubt the bulk of the community gets to 5th prestige. So when you look at the median number of slots used by the community, you probably get five per player. Thus, in their minds, offering six CAC slots is offering you more slots than the average player will ever use.

Those that get to 10th prestige and normally have 10 slots are the players that put in far more than the median amount of time playing the game. This gives such players an advantage when it comes to experience and unlocked weapons, perks, etc. Plus the above median player are probably your most ardent fans. Which means they are probably the largest consumers of DLC.

All of that combines in the minds of the actuaries/statisticians deciphering the data the impression that those that play the most are the most likely to purchase game add-ons. If you look at non-FPS games, that's probably easily recognizable as ... true. Combine that with marginal utility and, from a business perspective, it is actually a smart decision. Even if it alienates some players, they will still earn more revenue.

I don't like it and if you're going to apply this particular method to increasing revenue, you also have to look at the rest of economic theory. Doing that, there is a dead end ahead. Perhaps that is what modern MBAs are taught ... but it does not account for how some companies remain vibrant and very profitable for decades by providing their customers with more product and service than the customer bargained for.

I have read what you said about marginal utility in the DLC should be free thread and while I do agree with some aspects I do not feel it even applies to micro transactions as they are what I like to call throw away money something that's costs cents/pence to buy that no matter what kind of player you are whether hard core or casual if you want something there and then you will just buy it with out blinking an eye, you only have to look at how many casual players in BO2 were using micro transaction camo's.

You also base what I said off the system with have today where everything can be earned pretty much when reaching 10th prestige beside post content when I am talking about a whole new reward system which has to be carefully made where even the most hardcore player will struggle to unlock everything but he has the option to unlock what he likes and wants for example whether that be a duck camo or a red tiger camo but if you want to unlock all camos just by playing in game your gonna have to grind for a lot longer than usual. You also can dangle a carrot for the hard core player that once every camo has been unlocked you get a special camo or when you unlock ever piece of character customization you get a special piece of customization and so on so and people will more than likely pay for some things to help themselves along to get that golden carrot no matter how hard core or casual the player. The fact is people are lazy & impatient in todays world and you don't have to look too hard to see quite a number of games that incorporate micro transactions that can earned by playing or paying that do extremely well and I know that if Call of Duty incorporated that system they would get more money from micro transactions than they do now which I think your out of touch if you don't believe to be true, You will also know that giving out what appears to be free stuff entices people to spend more money, They also wouldn't be any fuss about micro transactions because you can earn them all in game which also means you wouldn't piss off customers who are starting to walk away from the game and it gives us players more incentive to play instead of moving on to a different game and spending our money else where like I am doing.

I also disagree about its decision about the CAC slots I think its quite known that Activision are all about the short game in terms of games they run them into the ground and make a quick buck and move on, I think they just looked at what they could charge for and rolled with that. I think its also quite clear they are looking heck even trialling many have said a more elaborate way of implementing micro transactions in call of duty with the game COD online in China.

I also know how modern businesses work as I own/run one and also studied it and please do not take this the wrong way but I do not need lectures on how and the way businesses work. I can see COD is on a downwards spiral that is out of control and clearly isn't working as the last I heard COD Ghosts was 7 million units down from last year and that's with people buying multiple copies like I have done with the 360 and One versions and to make things worse they spent 50% more on marketing from last year which is massive amounts of money and DLC sales have been down from BO1 which is a terrible combination, I know one thing if I was an investor I would get my money out of Activision on the double if it wasn't for skylanders which is there big money maker now. I'm also not sure what they are smoking over at Activision they are releasing Destiny less than two months before the next COD and expect two FPS to both be billion dollar franchises lmfao.

nuttin2say

Wasn't meant as a lecture - just friendly opinion on why ATVI is making the decisions it makes. For not wanting me to take anything personal, you sure seem to have an attitude in your response. I didn't study business in my subscription to the WSJ.

"Throw away money" is also known as "discretionary income." ALL money spent on entertainment is discretionary income. I think what you were trying to do was to distinguish between a "need" and a "want." The problem is that the base game is a "want," not a "need." The funny thing is that while you think such a distinction matters? It doesn't.

In any case, I'm not really seeing your point. I'm not defending ATVI charging for extra slots. I could care less whether or not they sell dlc. All I'm saying is that the reason they do it is to capture more revenue with a minimal amount of increased costs. And those that think they'd get more revenue by including a lot more stuff for a small price increase are wrong.

If they could do that in the first place, they would.

alexjt22

nuttin2say wrote:

Wasn't meant as a lecture - just friendly opinion on why ATVI is making the decisions it makes. For not wanting me to take anything personal, you sure seem to have an attitude in your response. I didn't study business in my subscription to the WSJ.

No attitude was meant towards your direction I can assure you that, I respect and to a certain degree agree about what your saying but the way you come across in the way you write stuff is like your trying to teach something when in reality we are in forums about a video game which is all about opinions so when you say something like:

nuttin2say wrote:

"Throw away money" is also known as "discretionary income." ALL money spent on entertainment is discretionary income.

Your not trying to tell me that's not trying to teach/lecture come on now, when you can put what you have to say about it like you did here:

nuttin2say wrote:

In any case, I'm not really seeing your point. I'm not defending ATVI charging for extra slots. I could care less whether or not they sell dlc. All I'm saying is that the reason they do it is to capture more revenue with a minimal amount of increased costs. And those that think they'd get more revenue by including a lot more stuff for a small price increase are wrong.

If they could do that in the first place, they would.

I also feel you have completely missed the point the way I wanted Micro Transactions has little to do with adding more content to the game or about putting a small cost onto the customer to get more content, it's more about keeping customer retention by allowing them to earn the Micro DLC as it is now by playing in game but on the flip side everything in game including stock camo's for example Winter Camo can be earned playing the game like it is now or if you are impatient or lazy then you can buy it but at the same time Duck camo can also be earned or brought naturally in a revised reward system which keeps peoples interest in the game longer than 2 months as it is now. Its no secret Sales of Ghosts has been very poor and if you look at sales figures you would be shocked I was, its also no secret that player population has dropped dramatically and so has DLC sales all of which also includes Activision spending 50% more on marketing to try and keep & get new players to keep playing COD. My system was to try and stop the rot to keep people playing the game longer so they don't go else where to spend there money & never come back which is clearly happening now (so its about getting the next COD sale as well) but also allow Activision to get a similar if not more Money from micro transactions at the same time - plenty of games now work this way and do extremely well I can't see how COD would not be similar, if you disagree about that fair enough but neither us know facts about whether any system would work better than an another I just know one thing the way it is now is not working figures show that COD is on the downfall and so is the money it generates for Activision so something needs to change.

nuttin2say

I fully comprehend what you are trying to say. I don't think you really understand what you are saying, though. Let me explain one reason why I've said what I said. Here's the issue at hand in the absolute simplest terms I can put it ...

Boss, we've already collected the money from the customers and they know they won't get a refund ... but they still are not willing to wait in line for our product/service.

No problem. Tell them they can cut in line for a small transaction fee.

That's what you are suggesting. I've already paid for the product. I'm already inside, waiting to use the product. It is clear I am never going to get the reward for my wait. I didn't know that  before I paid and got inside, but ... well, I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned. And, frankly, the service sucked anyway. Did you hear the crap I had to take off of the other customers waiting?

The "solution" above is a sure road to disaster. It completely ignores the core issue. Maybe you can't serve your customers faster. But maybe you can. A solution like the above does not bother to try finding out.

In the case of COD, they CAN solve the issue. And without it costing more money. That's why focusing on price as a the single driver of demand is fatally flawed. And, yes, your suggestion DOES focus on price as the issue. It is not the price. I can explain other economics reasons that prove that's not the issue, as well. But I don't want you to feel like you're being lectured to.

My system was to try and stop the rot to

Stop the bleeding. Damm how many times have I heard that? I don't mean to be an axx, but that is typical. I'm sorry, it is (I've had to deal with that approach with three different partners in three different ventures. I got out of each of them because those partners would not be "lectured" And that's not to mention the companies I've worked for.). Either you fix what is causing the rot in the first place or there will be nothing left to rot out.

(If I have a flaw in business it is that I tell it like it is. That's how I've always been dealt with. Frankly, that's the way I prefer it. Unfortunately, sometimes people take that as me somehow looking down on them. They don't want to be "taught/lectured" but then they insist on instituting quick, easy "fixes" that ultimately make things worse - and then call me in to "fix" the fix. If you can't afford to do it right the first time, how are you going to pay to do it at all the second time?)

keep people playing the game longer

Yeah. I've been advocating an idea for years now that is aimed at doing just that. But see, you and ATVI are so focused on the rot that you don't see the cause of the rot. The cause of the rot is the damm challenge system. NO ONE is completing ALL the challenges. And I mean that in every literal sense. The top five players from BO1, MW3, and BO2 - those that you call grinders? - NOT ONE OF THEM completed every challenge in the game (you can go to Elite and verify this. I did). With 100s of 1000s of kills each to their credit, do you really think they are going to be okay with peewee lazee buying all the "trophies" those grinders have earned? Why play the game then? The damm irony here is that everyone is freaking out over lost revenue and dropping millions to "stop the bleeding" that they can't see the simple fix that would cost a whopping ZERO dollars to fix.

so they don't go else where to spend there money & never come back which is clearly happening now (so its about getting the next COD sale as well)

Yeah. They go elsewhere because it is not possible to hang in there a little longer and reap a reward. You can hang in there for 500 hours a year and not accomplish everything in the game. But, hey, I made it to 100th prestige!!! I know. I've done it. And I'm an "above average" performing player!!! Well above average. How do you think the mode player feels? The guy with a 0.88 kdr? That poor schlop ain't got the prayer of a minnow in the Sahara of "beating the game."

but also allow Activision to get a similar if not more Money from micro transactions at the same time

Provide a quality product/service and the money will come. Guaranteed. Never fails. You have to have four wheels, two axles, and a frame before you can start worrying about heated seats, GPS, etc. Right now? ATVI does not have that in COD.

- plenty of games now work this way and do extremely well I can't see how COD would not be similar,

COD could be similar. But we need to solve one problem at a time. The first problem we have is, "why do people stop playing after a few months?" Let's fix that issue first before we put the cart before the horse.

if you disagree about that fair enough but neither us know facts about whether any system would work better than an another I just know one thing the way it is now is not working figures show that COD is on the downfall and so is the money it generates for Activision so something needs to change.

This is true. What we have now ain't working. I've played this game a long time and many hours and one thing I have learned is that too often the community looks at symptoms instead of causes. That's what they did with Ghosts and BO2 on mass scales. They "fixed" a whole lot of symptoms but have totally made the actual problem worse. Can they recover? Well, it may be too late. Call of Duty is not the only game that had disappointing sales this year. Pretty much every game out there had a disappointing year. Part of that, I think, is due to the console makers. People have had their 360s and PS3s for a long time. They bought them when they had plenty of "throw away money." The console sales so far indicate people don't have that kind of money right now. Well, with less than two years remaining on the 360/PS3 systems ... maybe it is time to start exploring other avenues of fun.

And the numbers across the spectrum of gaming indicate, to me, that is exactly what is happening.

Fix Call of Duty? Give it a point. Right now there is no point to the game. Hasn't been one in years.

alexjt22

nuttin2say wrote:

Let me explain one reason why I've said what I said. Here's the issue at hand in the absolute simplest terms I can put it ...

Boss, we've already collected the money from the customers and they know they won't get a refund ... but they still are not willing to wait in line for our product/service.

No problem. Tell them they can cut in line for a small transaction fee.

That's what you are suggesting. I've already paid for the product. I'm already inside, waiting to use the product. It is clear I am never going to get the reward for my wait. I didn't know that  before I paid and got inside, but ... well, I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned. And, frankly, the service sucked anyway. Did you hear the crap I had to take off of the other customers waiting?

The "solution" above is a sure road to disaster. It completely ignores the core issue. Maybe you can't serve your customers faster. But maybe you can. A solution like the above does not bother to try finding out.

Great Points and I agree somewhat but I think if the system was done right people wouldn't feel that way but if done wrong which is a possibility since we have Activision at the helm then like you said it would be a disaster.

My system was to try and stop the rot to

Either you fix what is causing the rot in the first place or there will be nothing left to rot out.

I couldn't agree more and kind of why I thought of this system, My take on the biggest cause of the rot and after speaking to some friends about it is: Back in the day when COD was new and fresh it was fine having 16 maps, 20 odd weapons 10 camo's because the gameplay was fresh but after years of playing and mastering COD the gameplay is not fresh anymore the only thing that is fresh now is maps, guns and camo's all of which get mastered & boring fast so the only options I can see is change the formula so people have to re master the game which is risky as then it wouldn't be COD anymore or keep adding content into the game for everyone to earn to keep their interest in the game longer (my system). Also another problem Activision have is getting new people to buy there game as I'm sure you know all about you have to get x amount of % of new people just to keep at the same level as the previous year because is impossible to keep 100% of customers and the problem is COD is not a game for new comers any more they go online and we just pummel them with killstreaks, MOABs, spawn trap them etc and they just don't come back and I'm not sure how Activision deals with that one.

keep people playing the game longer

Yeah. I've been advocating an idea for years now that is aimed at doing just that. But see, you and ATVI are so focused on the rot that you don't see the cause of the rot. The cause of the rot is the damm challenge system. NO ONE is completing ALL the challenges. And I mean that in every literal sense. The top five players from BO1, MW3, and BO2 - those that you call grinders? - NOT ONE OF THEM completed every challenge in the game (you can go to Elite and verify this. I did). With 100s of 1000s of kills each to their credit, do you really think they are going to be okay with peewee lazee buying all the "trophies" those grinders have earned? Why play the game then? The damm irony here is that everyone is freaking out over lost revenue and dropping millions to "stop the bleeding" that they can't see the simple fix that would cost a whopping ZERO dollars to fix.

I am one of those big challenge whores and your right they are near impossible to complete, but I don't think that it is the biggest cause of the rot, but I do feel the challenge system needs refining and the prestige system needs refreshing. I also don't think people would think what's the point  of trying to earn it when people can just buy it either if they implemented a good system again plenty of games have flourished with this system.

so they don't go else where to spend there money & never come back which is clearly happening now (so its about getting the next COD sale as well)

Yeah. They go elsewhere because it is not possible to hang in there a little longer and reap a reward. You can hang in there for 500 hours a year and not accomplish everything in the game. But, hey, I made it to 100th prestige!!! I know. I've done it. And I'm an "above average" performing player!!! Well above average. How do you think the mode player feels? The guy with a 0.88 kdr? That poor schlop ain't got the prayer of a minnow in the Sahara of "beating the game."

In my eyes the guy who barely plays has no chance of beating the game as it is now and I doubt even cares about camo's, slots, guns, etc as long as he can compete on a same level as everyone that's fine as my system in no way is pay to win.

but also allow Activision to get a similar if not more Money from micro transactions at the same time

Provide a quality product/service and the money will come. Guaranteed. Never fails. You have to have four wheels, two axles, and a frame before you can start worrying about heated seats, GPS, etc. Right now? ATVI does not have that in COD.

I agree to some degree they do need to get the product right, but using a car analogy you would get bored driving in the same car everyday for 8 years so eventually you would move on but if they said right you have been a loyal customers and driven your car most days here's all these upgrades you might not move on so fast.

- plenty of games now work this way and do extremely well I can't see how COD would not be similar,

COD could be similar. But we need to solve one problem at a time. The first problem we have is, "why do people stop playing after a few months?" Let's fix that issue first before we put the cart before the horse.

I honestly would be interested in hearing what you think are the problems with COD are and why people stop playing and how you would work in DLC, Micro Transaction etc?

if you disagree about that fair enough but neither us know facts about whether any system would work better than an another I just know one thing the way it is now is not working figures show that COD is on the downfall and so is the money it generates for Activision so something needs to change.

This is true. What we have now ain't working. I've played this game a long time and many hours and one thing I have learned is that too often the community looks at symptoms instead of causes. That's what they did with Ghosts and BO2 on mass scales. They "fixed" a whole lot of symptoms but have totally made the actual problem worse. Can they recover? Well, it may be too late. Call of Duty is not the only game that had disappointing sales this year. Pretty much every game out there had a disappointing year. Part of that, I think, is due to the console makers. People have had their 360s and PS3s for a long time. They bought them when they had plenty of "throw away money." The console sales so far indicate people don't have that kind of money right now. Well, with less than two years remaining on the 360/PS3 systems ... maybe it is time to start exploring other avenues of fun.

I think you might be right about that.

And the numbers across the spectrum of gaming indicate, to me, that is exactly what is happening.

Fix Call of Duty? Give it a point. Right now there is no point to the game. Hasn't been one in years.

Great insight into things from a different perspective and even though I still believe this system would be better than what we have for all parties you have put some very good points across why it might not, who knows at least we agree the way its going and is right now is not the right way.

C_CHRIS11

You seem that you know well the economics and most probably you have a degree.

But I think that you have forgotten the basic rule of economics. Supply and demand.

As long as there is a demand on mt then they will provide the supply. It does not cost much and most of it is profit.

All companies are profit based and that they will try to maximize their profit on a product.

Mt is a bye product that the community have created and as long as they demand it they will provide it.

nicedrewishfela

Exactly!!!!

Which is why I have been begging people on the Micro DLC "idea" threads that keep popping up to stop encouraging it.

The community needs to put game quality on the highest tier and let the devs know we feel that way. Instead, we are enabling this.

nuttin2say

C_CHRIS11 wrote:

You seem that you know well the economics and most probably you have a degree.

But I think that you have forgotten the basic rule of economics. Supply and demand.

As long as there is a demand on mt then they will provide the supply. It does not cost much and most of it is profit.

All companies are profit based and that they will try to maximize their profit on a product.

Mt is a bye product that the community have created and as long as they demand it they will provide it.

For starters, you're already on my bad side. Nonetheless, I'm really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt with your post here. Maybe you were still upset because you misconstrued something I had posted elsewhere; I don't know.

What I can tell you, however, is that TSD and munday are not rookies to the forums, either. Knowing that, I think munday might have slightly misunderstood a point TSD was making  because, frankly, they are both pretty much on the same page as far as dlc goes - we all get it and we all could not care less whether or not dlc is offered. In fact, I think both of them would agree that from a business-model point of view, dlc is a smart move on behalf of ATVI. The only real issues I ever really see arise regarding dlc is whether or not production of dlc distracts from other quality control issues. Quite familiar with how firms operate, I'm in the camp of "probably does not distract from other quality control issues." However, I'm more familiar with the marketing side than the production side and from that perspective, timing can be critical.

Would it be smart for General Motors to have a marketing campaign, at this time, bragging about stereo upgrades in their vehicles when they've got their entire fleet catching fire because they can't build a fairly simple ignition switch? Probably not. Re: Toyota handled a much bigger issue much better a couple years ago.

The demand is there and clearly it has been a success to produce and offer dlc - you can't enter a mp match without seeing a good 20% to 50% of the players sporting MT DLC purchases. I think you meant "byproduct" - of which, MT DLC is NOT. A "byproduct" is a product that results from the excesses of normal production. Croutons for salads are a byproduct of bread production. MT DLC is a complementary good; it is produced strictly for consumption in conjunction with another good. Hotdogs and hotdog buns are complementary products; MT DLC and Call of Duty games are complementary goods. In fact, MT DLC cannot even be used without Call of Duty. So Micro-Transaction Downloadable Content for Call of Duty games is not a byproduct.

Yes, it will be produced so long as there is a demand; see above. That was not the point that anyone was making.

My point specifically was meant to address the only other "controversy" surrounding DLC. Personally, I believe that DLC should be available ONLY to those that pay for it. My post was meant as satire, mocking those who believe that DLC should be free. The primary argument in favor of "free" dlc (which we tend to get every year in one form or another anyway, but to a small degree) is that some players feel that the DLC should be complimentary (different spelling with a different meaning) because they, basically, play so much Call of Duty. In my opinion (which means I have absolutely nothing to back it up) there is a tendency among those in the community who want things for free to also be among those in the community that want major buffs, nerfs, and other changes to the game that make it easier for themselves to play the game.

Hence, my rather idiotic-sounding suggestion that everyone be treated equally, regardless of whether or not we "paid" for our achievements (which includes normal unlocks in the game) ... or dlc.

Satire. It was satire. You're right. I do know economics quite well (no degree but I do consider a certain econ professor a friend). Satire. It was satire.

C_CHRIS11

Well, you are not on my bad side. I just read your earlier post that you mentioned and I am not upset at all at people from my ilk.

I think that you are upset with me for a post that was for someone else.

And again you are raging for my post which was not meant to be offensive to you but on the contrary.

You may not have a degree as you say but you certainly are an educated person to be a friend of any professor.

Cool it down. I am not trying to make any enemies. I have already a lot of those.

But please don't try to shut me up for expressing my opinion, whatever that is.

And to make it clear, so that that there is no doubt about my post here, it was not meant to be sarcastic or to question what you said. It was meant to take a step further of what you said.

nuttin2say

Truce accepted.

And, to be clearer, I apologize if, in the above post, I seem hostile to you. I acknowledged my discontent so I would have written if front of me a reminder to not be over the top - not as an intent to be hostile at you. The other thread? Well, that's a different thread. It isn't meant to be hostile but, as we all quote Foxhound, gamers are passionate people and can sometimes come across as very passionate in their conversations. You've said nothing that offends me (other than it appeared in that one post elsewhere that you were saying that I was doing something shameful ... I digress. It doesn't matter at this point).

More seriously, I regret that you've gotten he impression I am somehow trying to shut you up. That is DEFINITELY not the case. I am actually ... well, let's just say my educational focus deals with language and, in that regard, your English is strong enough that I find it easy to assume you have mastered the language. We are engaging in more thoughtful conversation (or I probably wouldn't even acknowledge your posts) and I think the problem I am running into is that I am taking for granted your mastery of English. I apologize if that is the case.

That said, I am terrible about getting drawn out into use of economic terms in the forums. It is not your case, but it is not uncommon for people to hear an economic term or principle and then come to the forums and try to use those things in defense of an argument. Prisoner's dilemma being the most frequent. So, although I am definitely not an economist, I cringe.

Believe it or not my post was largely in agreement with what you were saying. Now that I look back at it. I thought you had taken what I had said seriously. LOL. It wasn't meant to be taken serious and sometimes you have to clarify that right away or else you get quoted as saying something that you definitely do not agree with. Unfortunately, in dealing with me I think you might understand the conundrum. LOL.

C_CHRIS11

There is no need to apologize  because I never, and will never, ask someone to apologize for their point of view. I respect others peoples opinions especially when they are expressed with logical arguments in a decent manner.

But as I respect other peoples opinion I expect other people to respect mine especially when is expressed in a decent manner with logical argument.

Keep writing your opinion on this forum because we need serious opinions and arguments as yours.

Hit the nail on the head. The players cried for it, now they got it and now the devs know they can do it and get away with worse game play because they can still milk the players through the dlc mt system.

Highwayman0226

Next title will be free, but you only get a pistol, a frag grenade, a concussion grenade and three beginner perks.  All the other guns, equipment and perks will cost you $.99.

I'll spend money on microtransactions when they offer one that makes it so you aren't a second behind the action.

maccabi

the day they do this is the day cod dies.

alexjt22

I would say the day they start charging for stuff that used to be able to be earned while playing the game like Camo's & CAC slots etc is the day COD dies - Oh that day has happened and oh look COD is dying.

maccabi

alexjt22 wrote:

I would say the day they start charging for stuff that used to be able to be earned while playing the game like Camo's & CAC slots etc is the day COD dies - Oh that day has happened and oh look COD is dying.

I have no issues with cosmetic micro dlc like character skins and camos as they are an optional pruchased bought on what you consider value .

i have a major issue with the slots dlc. and said as much yesterday when they released that this marked the start of the decline of cod if they continue down this route

rlbl

Everyone draws a line somewhere; not everyone draws it in the same place.

Some could argue that the Slots in Ghosts is a change, and not a take-away... making the slot DLC and expansion that some may think is an enhancement.  Those who think that way would be fine with the slot DLC (as long as they do not believe that not having it puts them at a disadvantage of those who do)

alexjt22

maccabi wrote:

alexjt22 wrote:

I have no issues with cosmetic micro dlc like character skins and camos as they are an optional pruchased bought on what you consider value .

i have a major issue with the slots dlc. and said as much yesterday when they released that this marked the start of the decline of cod if they continue down this route

I don't have a major issue on cosmetic DLC either but I think Activision are treading a fine line with all of it and it's clear its going to get worse I was trying to come up with something that rewards customers but also allows Activision to make extra money too without either party getting the big shaft, there is so many plus points for both parties I cannot see much of a negative for either the customer or Activision with the way I said if done right.

Lets be honest the decline of COD happened way before yesterday I would say the turning point happened last year with less sales and a massive dip in online population with BO2 and Ghosts has continued to decline in both areas and I think it will continue to decline if they carry on going the same way.

cranium2001

I didn't buy any camo's last title and I won't this title. I made the mistake of buying extra classes last time because I thought I needed them. I'm over it.

maccabi

alexjt22 wrote:

Lets be honest the decline of COD happened way before yesterday I would say the turning point happened last year with less sales and a massive dip in online population with BO2 and Ghosts has continued to decline in both areas and I think it will continue to decline if they carry on going the same way.

i'd disagree those are all design issues, if the next game is amazing people will play it.

When cod becomes a cash cow thats milked for every nickle and dime thats when it starts declining

alexjt22

maccabi wrote:

alexjt22 wrote:

i'd disagree those are all design issues, if the next game is amazing people will play it.

When cod becomes a cash cow thats milked for every nickle and dime thats when it starts declining

I agree design decisions have certainly amplified the decline but I think it goes a little deeper than just game design. I also agree that nickel & diming people will make it further decline which is what they have been doing since BO2 with Camos etc, that stuff didn't start yesterday and in no way did the system I suggest nickel & dime people as they get the same amount of content than that of someone who would pay for micro transaction system I mentioned to speed the unlock process up which would have to be revised heavily to make the system work.

I don't think if the next game is great that COD online population will get anyway near the heights of its heyday as the gameplay or the game isn't fresh any more and that's a huge problem the developers will have to overcome and I don't think they can as most people have mastered COD to their best ability and are ready to move on to something fresh & new to master I know most of my friends list has and speaking with them I don't see that a good COD game will change that they have mastered the gameplay so maps, weapons, camos become boring very soon after release that's why with the system I mentioned the game is at least constantly evolving with fresh new stuff to unlock for everyone not just a proportion that wants to spend money on Micro DLC & DLC.

I doubt anything can save it from decline in my eyes, I think COD has run it course its just a matter of time before the cost to make and market the game doesn't become viable and Activision poor management of the series has yet run another franchise into the ground with its yearly releases so no matter what you do it becomes stale very quick.

nuttin2say

COD became a cash cow when ATVI sacked the IW devs. I'm not defending the way those guys were handling IW was great, but they should have been given royalties that were better than what they were rumored to have gotten. They didn't though because it was all about the money, not the quality or rights to the game.

Can it be turned around? Anything can be turned around if the will is there. I don't think the will was ever there to make COD a permanent part of the gaming world.

most people have mastered COD to their best ability and are ready to move on to something fresh & new to master

That's what I'm saying. "Mastering the game" is getting a positive kdr and getting to max prestige. Do that and, as far as the community is concerned, they have mastered the game. How many of your friends completed every challenge in the game? I bet none of them have.

To me, mastering the game is completing every challenge. But you don't need to complete every challenge in the game in order to "beat the game" or "master the game." And it is a good thing, too. You would have to score over 300,000 kills minimum to complete every challenge. Well it is a very small % that score over 100k kills a year.

What they could have done was revamp the whole thing so that the challenges were not impossible and then divided most of the challenges by the number of prestige levels. That's not a far cry off from what BO2 did. Only, they separated weapon prestige from prestige levels. If you want players to score 100 headshots with each weapon, make it so they have to score 10 headshots with that weapon every prestige.

You really don't even have to do that. You can let everyone run up through 9th prestige but deny the Master or 10th prestige until they complete every challenge in the game.

If you did that, how impressive would kdr be? Not very because that's what we've got now - everyone bragging about kdr and no one bragging about how they completed EVERY difficult challenge. Heck, no one even bothers with the LMG accuracy challenge anymore and the SMG and AR challenges aren't much easier. Those challenges that are really hard? Have it so you can complete those at any time. In other words, those would be like master prestige challenges and so long as you earn them at some point, then you will be able to go into master prestige.

You could still make points a part of the prestige criteria. The player has to complete all the challenges for a particular prestige AND score x number of points.

Yes, this would force players to play a certain way. Well, we're darn sure forced to play certain ways in Ghosts. And we were in BO2, as well. But you don't have to ever use SRs if you don't want to. You just won't go to the next prestige if you don't use them.

I think this would reduce the complaints about things being over powered or under powered, as well. Meh, could increase them initially. But it would be far easier to tell the complainers try using XYZ like this instead of the way you've been using it. Most of the complaints about stuff come from people that only recently started using XYZ or people that have never used it at all. "Forcing" them to try finding a way to make it work would cause a new appreciation for those things instead of finding new ways to complain.

This would not be the silver bullet to save COD. But it would put the emphasis where the emphasis should be - give the game a purpose. You can do micro transactions all day long but if there's no customer base to buy the add-ons, it doesn't matter.

Another area they could look at differently is eSports. Right now what we've got developing is a new bowling league. That's all it is. Who cares if you win a clan war? What do you get out of it? You do get banners or patches or whatever. That's a good start. I think something more tangible would be better though. And you'd need to award more than three or four clans. Otherwise, again, you've got people participating with no hope of ever accomplishing anything meaningful with the effort.

Short of paying people to play the game, I don't know what else will turn things around. But who knows. Maybe there is a way players could earn money.

Hey. I tell you what. You could offer the micro transactions as you suggested, alex ... but have it so that if someone gets your gun, you lose your camo until you get it back from them. Have it so you could steal it back or the other player could give it back for free or they could sell it back to you. I like the idea of stealing it back and/or selling it back. or to other players. That would be funny as helll.

• Re: Re: Micro Transactions - How They Should Be Done
                                                                          alexjt22

nuttin2say wrote:

COD became a cash cow when ATVI sacked the IW devs. I'm not defending the way those guys were handling IW was great, but they should have been given royalties that were better than what they were rumored to have gotten. They didn't though because it was all about the money, not the quality or rights to the game.

Can it be turned around? Anything can be turned around if the will is there. I don't think the will was ever there to make COD a permanent part of the gaming world.

You hit it right on the nail there as far as I am concerned.

I knew you would have something interesting to give and one thing hits home for sure is how out of touch & lack of innovation there is with a COD title now which is such a shame.

nuttin2say wrote:

You really don't even have to do that. You can let everyone run up through 9th prestige but deny the Master or 10th prestige until they complete every challenge in the game.

One thing I really do like and never heard mention is that of denying the master emblem until every challenge is completed and also makes perfect sense, so long as challenges are toned downed a notch like you said, can you imagine the complaining on theses threads about having to use XYZ to get master emblem it would be so funny.

nuttin2say wrote:

Hey. I tell you what. You could offer the micro transactions as you suggested, alex ... but have it so that if someone gets your gun, you lose your camo until you get it back from them. Have it so you could steal it back or the other player could give it back for free or they could sell it back to you. I like the idea of stealing it back and/or selling it back. or to other players. That would be funny as helll.

Can you imagine peoples rage lol.

admunday

Whilst I'm equally not a fan of the micro transactions, I'm less of a fan of your idea.

I recently ground out the ghillie suit unlock, despite not being a sniper.  It was some of the hardest and at times frustrating gaming period I've had whilst playing Ghosts, however the satisfaction when finally getting this was immense.  I have no figures but I'd suggest the majority of the community will simply not bother going for this and even before I had it, I respected people (and I sensed i was not alone) who had gone through the grind to get it.  It is an achievement in it's own right.

Giving a player the option to buy these things stops them from being less common and therefore an achievement.  I cannot believe that I am the only one in the game who, when together with a bunch of mates, we show off about what we've unlocked or earnt and get joy from that.  This all goes the second people can buy what should be an achievement.

Some like you do like to show off and brag about what you have. Others however do not like that and think it is stupid and just want the items and don't care how they got them. MT DLC allows them to do just that, which yes lessens your appeal of the game and having them for you are no longer as special or elite as you were before hand for having them before anyone else.

You want it an something hard earned, others just want to have it to use it. Which is why the perks in this game work as they do, you can earn them and save points or you can buy them if you have the points.

admunday

trialstardragon wrote:

Some like you do like to show off and brag about what you have. Others however do not like that and think it is stupid and just want the items and don't care how they got them. MT DLC allows them to do just that, which yes lessens your appeal of the game and having them for you are no longer as special or elite as you were before hand for having them before anyone else.

You want it an something hard earned, others just want to have it to use it. Which is why the perks in this game work as they do, you can earn them and save points or you can buy them if you have the points.

I appreciate not everyone wants to work for stuff anymore and instead wants to buy rewards, but to me that's just sad.  Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

However your final sentance is really not relevant. There is a massive difference in being able to unlock game altering mechanics (perks) before levelling up and being able to buy purely cosmetic elements, which have been fun rewards earnt by actually playing the game.

nuttin2say

admunday wrote:

trialstardragon wrote:

I appreciate not everyone wants to work for stuff anymore and instead wants to buy rewards, but to me that's just sad.  Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

However your final sentance is really not relevant. There is a massive difference in being able to unlock game altering mechanics (perks) before levelling up and being able to buy purely cosmetic elements, which have been fun rewards earnt by actually playing the game.

What they really need to do is they should put ALL xp in one single pool from all player. Whether you do really well or really bad, all your XP goes into a single pool. Then divide the XP up by all the total number of players. That way it'll be more fair.

RunAndGun1

First off, I find this disturbing:

"Bobby Kotick said we have changed COD into a 3 year development time with one of the reasons being so each studio can spend more time making high profit DLC and Micro transactions."

I'd rather hear that the extended development times are for focusing on making the games more stable and bug free. Especially in the area of lag comp and spawns. I wouldn't mind that they spend more time in developing better DLC maps and content. But, as I mentioned elsewhere, I would hope that they'd save the reskinned maps for separate micro transactions, and not include them as part of the DLC packs.

nicedrewishfela

I'd be curious to see the actual quote and not his paraphrasing.

alexjt22

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I thought it was bobby kotick but its Hirshberg Here it is: "it will give our content creators more focus on DLC and micro-DLC which, as you know, have become large and high-margin opportunities and significant engagement drivers,” Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said during an annual earnings call today.

nuttin2say

alexjt22 wrote:

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I thought it was bobby kotick but its Hirshberg Here it is: "it will give our content creators more focus on DLC and micro-DLC which, as you know, have become large and high-margin opportunities and significant engagement drivers,” Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said during an annual earnings call today.

I call liar to that claim. "Oh boy! We can choose between Price and ducky camo this year!!! Let me run out and buy the latest copy of Call of Duty!!!"

The rest of the statement I believe is 100% accurate. Of course, he could be talking about "management engagement" The management was losing interest in COD and, thus, not really engaged with the game or its community ... until dlc became a high margin opportunity.

Rambler330

Just read that Blizzard will be selling Level 90 Character boost in WOW for $60.

The end is near.

SirVelvetRaspberry

My problem is this.  I paid $50.00 for a season pass.  Why doesn't that season pass include all of this new DLC content for free?  Haven't I already given up enough extra money?   I refuse to take part in any more purchases for this game - especially on PS4.  This is strike two.