26 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2014 8:37 AM by Firesens RSS

Why did the snipers get patched to statistical uselessness?

Caseyg1317

I am a sniper lover though I do use ARs and SMGs more than anything only because the snipers get so much dev hate. When you patch my favorite weapon class over and over solely because people don't understand whats happening that's a problem. But the cause of all the confusion are two things: Confirmation Bias and Inaccurate Killcams. I want to know why the devs use a mislead community backlash to fuel a serious of patches to destroy the sniper class?
           In each cod cycle the snipers get patched 3-5 times. I want to snipe and not get punished for doing going well, but this makes me feel like your specifically targeting a minority (I.E. The Sniper Community) for the flood of new players whom are sour they were countered and cant look at an accurate kill cam to show them they were legitimately quickscoped, pop shot, drag scoped, or even trick shot. These things take an extremely long time to master and now we get patches from the devs for our loyalty since the good old days when sniping was amazing. I've played each CoD yet each time the snipers get worse and worse...
      Now i can get destroyed by an extremely low recoil LMG across the map so why try?

• Re: Why did the snipers get patched to statistical uselessness?
          Xx67Customs

Dude... the snipers aren't getting worse with each CoD. BO2 is the best CoD ever for snipers. MW2 snipers were on easy mode. Black Ops decided to make them normal. MW3 brought them back to easy status and BO2 took them to a whole new level of easy. I would hardly call snipers the minority in BO2. Lobbies are at least 50% snipers every since match. Just because IW decided not to make them cake to use in Ghosts doesn't mean they haven't properly balanced them.

I've been straight up owned by a few snipers in Ghosts. They are still useful in the hands of a truly skilled sniper.

LVLikeG

I think most of the patches have been done to prevent quickscoping.  As far as I know, the snipers are as good as they've ever been when it comes to their long range capability.  After all, that is what they are in the game for.  The devs limiting the short range capability of the sniper shouldn't bother you if you are using the sniper for long range. 

Caseyg1317

You dont get it they are treating the snipers so unfairly. You cant reload cancel the bolt actions they made the silencer useless and chromelined is getting to be a must for consistent one hit kills, the ads and the sprint in and out time have been increased to the point where its so impossible for a noob to use them they instantly call "hacks" and IW patches them even more. I've been sniping for a while and I know this skill takes a lot of time and practice so why do they want to "patch" quickscoping which isnt a glitch. Its using the ads mechanic to snipe more aggressively. Now in bo2 the sniping was great because they weren't bad guns but the maps were easy to manipulate and do well with in the first place so doing it with a sniper just takes practice. And the snipers in older games were getting on the powerful side but not op. The games simple mechanics allowed them to be easily abused. But now they patch them so disproportionately to the regular weapons hat its not fair.

Xx67Customs

They aren't being treated unfairly. IW listened to the community and nerfed quick scoping to balance the game. Snipers now require actual skill to use. They aren't easy mode anymore. Stop crying about it and get better. I can still get a good game with a sniper. I don't understand why you are whining so much about it. They are still useable.

Ovrlord

^ People like the OP ruined Black Ops 2 for me to be honest. If the snipers are being treated unfairly, then I guess the shotguns must have been treated unfairly for a long time then. After all, it was okay for snipers to be able to have better close quarters ability, but the shotguns can't do anything at extended ranges. How dare they patch the weapon class so that it can be used the way it was intended to be used. -_-

illstplaya2live

You have not been able to reload cancel the bolt action in years. And you are not supposed to be able to reload cancel any weapon. It only works because the animation allows it and the animation has no been changed since mw1. So that reason is not valid.

Silencer useless? What do you mean by that? In what way is it useless?

Chromelined is is not a must. I have never used the chromelined attachment on a sniper rifle in this game and I do great sniping without it.

The ADS and sprint in and out time has been increased to the point where people are calling it a hack? This does not make sense at all. If the ads and sprint in and out time has been increased why would people say its a hack? If someone where to call it a hack it would be because the ads and sprint in and out time is very short not very long.

Snipers in bo2 we're not great. They were very unbalanced and overpowered. There was no way at all to counter them. And anyone who knows me, will know that I never call a weapon overpowered. But in bo2 the snipers mostly the dsr was overpowered.

SitRepPro

Name me a hard weapon to use in the whole of COD.  I can only think of the Valkyrie Rockets in BO1.  BO2 maps made sniping pointless and if you had a good secondary you sacrifice a launcher for it and the best pistols get nerfed anyway.  You were best off with the FAL anyway.

Ovrlord

You don't want to snipe. You want to quickscope, which should have been removed from the franchise a long time ago especially for what was happening in Black Ops 2. All you need to do is use the sniper rifle in the way it was intended to be used instead of running into close quarters with them and you'll do fine. I see a lot of people do well with them on Stonehaven. Your inability to kill people across the map is your problem.

Caseyg1317

I can snipe very well but call of duty is too fast paced to sit back and twidle my thumbs if i want to contribute i have to get aggressive. Quickscoping IS NOT A GLITCH NOR A BROKEN GAME MECHANIC. It uses the ads mechanic and sheer aim to put accurate shots out very quickly which can be used in a close quaters situation but is ideally used in mid ranged combat. Its not aim assist (because one snipers have none unless fully ads and two your never in sight for long enough to make any real adjustments. Your having a confirmation bias saying "Its op and happens all the time." Quickscoping is geting popular but its not op and most who try dont get what their trying to do entirely. They think there's some secret or glitch but its only skill behind the tactic.

Ovrlord

You're getting all defensive about quickscoping when I didn't say anything about it being a glitch, a broken game mechanic, or it being overpowered. How are you going to tell me what my bias is if I didn't say anything concerning what you just described? You're complaining about snipers being useless and you're the one who wants to be "aggressive" with it? And you want to point the finger at the devs because you're dying because of it? The only one who has been patched to statistical uselessness was you because your behavior with the weapon class gets you killed and you want to blame everyone except yourself.

nicedrewishfela

The real issue is between the chair and the controller.

If a lousy sniper like me can be successful with Sniper Rifles Consistently... Then I am sure they are just fine.

thewolph

So what you're trying to say is you want them to make quickscoping easier so you can have a cheap one hit kill in CQC instead of using the sniper rifles as long range weapons.

ghamorra

I wish they would add skill back to sniping. So tired of skilless, brainless children running around with a sniper dropping people with little thought. Snipers no longer have sway, they have super fast ADS times, and with Focus you can stand out in the wide-ass open taking damage but still lock on and hit their target with precision. Not to mention that you don't even have to be near your target to get the kill.

I would also like to point out the VKS has too much of a OHK potential for its purpose. A gun such as the VKS should actually have a range drop off that noticeable. It's damage multiplier should be much less and it should only be OHK in perfect circumstances. Right now the VKS gets far too many OHK for being silenced.

admunday

You've watched a you tube video.  Can't recall who it was now, but he constantly claimed that everyone hated snipers because of 'confirmation bias' and 'inaccurate Killcams'.  Think it was 'Nine ...something'.

The part I laughed out loud on his video was when he started claiming that most of the nerfs were caused by non-snipers, who because they don't snipe their opinions are clearly biased.  He however then goes on to present his apparantly unbiased viewpoint, which given he's a quickscoping youtube hero, he's clearly impartial on the whole thing.....

The reality is, if something gets close to me and they have a SMG and I have a sniper, unless they mess up I should not be able to kill them, unless I get a freak no-scope or something.  Ghosts gun balance and gun type vs Gun type balance is very good.

ButterflyDream

I actually think sniping is pretty well balanced with all the nerfs. I am a quickscoper... well actually i prefer to call myself an aggressive sniper.  The only thing i find annoying is using the silencer, it means to get a OHK = god accuracy. All the nerfs actually mean is that those who have actually taken the time to master their accuracy, response time, and situational awareness will still be competitive using a sniper, and those who have not will do constantly bad.

Truth be told if they nerfed quickscoping into oblivion, i.e made the draw time unusuable. I would still snipe, as most my kills are the reward of being situational aware, i will often pop around a corner prescoped, knowing exactly where my potential opponent is likely to be and shoot. The only thing that will ruin the sniping experience entirely (for me) is if the OHK became too hard to achieve. A sniper rifles attraction is OHK, if the accuracy barrier becomes too hard, then it spoils it for the casual player who wants to snipe as well. COD is not designed for the pro player nor should it ever be.  With ghosts you actually have to be very good or play exceptionally bad players to do consistently well without bush camping.  I don't see this trend changing, and hope it does not. In my opinion sniping in Ghosts is the most i have enjoyed so far.

claisty

If I had to paraphrase your post I would say that you are upset because you want to stand a chance at close range and that people need to accept the fact that QS'ing and other sniper specific activities are a part of the CoD series and not an exploit of game mechanics.  Does that sound accurate?

phxs72

The snipers haven't been nerfed in months.  I'm not a great sniper but I have no trouble killing with any of them except for the Maverick (that gun has always hated me).  I can QS with any of them without even needing quick draw.  So I can only assume that if you are unable to use sniper rifles in their current state that the problem is your own level of skill.  Either that or you've just mentally convinced yourself that they don't work and therefore believe it.  There's nothing wrong with the snipers in Ghosts.  I see them in use regularly in my matches.  Those using them don't seem to be having any trouble getting kills.  I know that I don't have any issues when I use them either.  So that only leaves your own skill level just not being up to par with the general community.  I can only suggest that you get back to basics.  You aren't ready to run around willy nilly and truthfully that never was a good idea in any COD.  So learn how to move around the maps without being such an easy target.  Then you won't have to worry so much about what the other guy is using.  You'll still have the OHK advantage over him.

VECTORdude

Caseyg1317 wrote:

I am a sniper lover though I do use ARs and SMGs more than anything only because the snipers get so much dev hate. When you patch my favorite weapon class over and over solely because people don't understand whats happening that's a problem. But the cause of all the confusion are two things: Confirmation Bias and Inaccurate Killcams. I want to know why the devs use a mislead community backlash to fuel a serious of patches to destroy the sniper class?
                                                 In each cod cycle the snipers get patched 3-5 times. I want to snipe and not get punished for doing going well, but this makes me feel like your specifically targeting a minority (I.E. The Sniper Community) for the flood of new players whom are sour they were countered and cant look at an accurate kill cam to show them they were legitimately quickscoped, pop shot, drag scoped, or even trick shot. These things take an extremely long time to master and now we get patches from the devs for our loyalty since the good old days when sniping was amazing. I've played each CoD yet each time the snipers get worse and worse...
                                            Now i can get destroyed by an extremely low recoil LMG across the map so why try?

Skill. Use it.

If you have good aim, you can wreck LMG users, especially at range.

"But the cause of all the confusion are two things: Confirmation Bias and Inaccurate Killcams"

Saying that, and then saying "extremely low recoil LMG"...

The reason people say that the LMGs have "no recoil" is because of the misleading killcams making most guns look like lasers. This applies to LMGs as well, which leads to much confusion in those "Nerf the M27" threads.

Sebrod10

So basically you suck at using snipers? go QS some bots or use a regular full auto gun. I QS just fine and so do many others, just because its not Blops 2 easy mode sniping doesn't mean the class is bad, whats useless is what you have sitting between the chair and the controller. 

C_CHRIS11

Sniping and Quick scoping is an abuse of a fault of the system. That is why they are trying to patch it and nerf it. Ghost has done a lot in trying to bring it to level with other guns and it was about time.

Firesens

Maybe instead of trying to quickscope you use the sniper the right way, I was on stonehaven yesterday on SnR and completely dominated the other team I went 18 and 0 with a USR and didn't miss one shot, all kills from across the map. (I used the weapon how it was meant to be used) The snipers are definitely not as useless as you say they are.