24 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2014 3:09 PM by kingofglitches RSS

change the k.d system

kingofglitches

i believe k.d should be restricted in the sense that k.d should only be visible when you apply to a clan and only to the clan leader i feel otherwise the game gets dumb because people try and inflate their stats so they have bragging rights in lobbies if we can not see everyones k.d and only when you apply to a clan the clan leader can see you're k.d i feel it would make the game a better experience with less people camping and spawn trapping

• Re: change the k.d system
          kingofglitches

by camping i mean camping at the back of the map during a objective mode i do not mean camping in tdm

Ovrlord

Truth be told, if you believe doing that will lessen camping, you're wasting your time.

Rexens_View

I don't completely agree with what the OP says but actually a KD focused game does encourage camping and slower playstyles.

Any player with common sense knows that passive playstyles that have low risk and high reward (camping/patrolling/ambushing) are the most effective and efficient means to increase KD and retain a high KD.

If someone is KD focused they want very little deaths as they know that even 1 death can halve their game KD and any more deaths after that exponentially decrease their ratio.

Therefore generally most KD focused players will utilise the passive playstyles more than riskier, faster playstyles that usually result in higher deaths - therefore a lower average ration.

To think that KD focused players will predominantly favour run n gunning or rushing is fantasy.

Izjar11

Rexens_View wrote:

I don't completely agree with what the OP says but actually a KD focused game does encourage camping and slower playstyles.

Any player with common sense knows that passive playstyles that have low risk and high reward (camping/patrolling/ambushing) are the most effective and efficient means to increase KD and retain a high KD.

If I wouldnt know any better, it sure sounds like your saying camping produces less deaths and more kills? HAHA do not promote the idea man.

Rexens_View

Haha I am definitely not intentionally promoting it and not saying that camping produces more kills but it generally (by someone with even an oz of skill) does reduce deaths.

That's what we see in alot of competitive games etc.

The high reward probs should have just said "rewarding") was them not dying as much and achieving their desired KD (if that's what people classify as reward)

Rexens_View

This is my biggest grip about KD - it takes the game into a realm where people become too focused on what 3 digits represent that they lose sight of what the game is all about - having fun.

That ruins it for the rest of the community.

Izjar11

kingofglitches wrote:

i believe k.d should be restricted in the sense that k.d should only be visible when you apply to a clan and only to the clan leader i feel otherwise the game gets dumb because people try and inflate their stats so they have bragging rights in lobbies if we can not see everyones k.d and only when you apply to a clan the clan leader can see you're k.d i feel it would make the game a better experience with less people camping and spawn trapping

I dont see the relation between play styles and KD but I would also like them to remove online stats in pre-game lobby's.

claisty

If IW had rewarded more for completing objectives it would have helped.  BO2 had its faults, but their point system was great as you could achieve killstreaks much easier any number of ways (kills, assists, complete objectives, destroy equipment, etc).  I too would love to see player stats hidden, but I have a feeling it would only have a minimal effect on the overall play style of the community as a whole.

C_CHRIS11

Statistics are a helpful way of analyzing your performance and through them find where your strong points are so that you concentrate on them or find your weak points to improve.

K/D is on the many statistics that we are given in CoD  games.

And is not a bad thing, statistics that is. What is bad is the huge amount of importance that the players place on these statistics. Even worse is that the players place so such importance of evaluating other players based on these statistics.

That is what is wrong.

Even is these statistics are removed there will always be players that they will find other ways to compare their performance to others players. Is just how human nature is.

So, as always, the community is what we make of it. And who is the community ? We are the community.

gramthenOOb

At the very least, they should change it to be a system similar to Black Ops, in which the stats are public but not quickly accessible through the main lobby menu, but through a players submenu that needs time to be navigated to and load.  Only the most practiced of these people would barely be able to scan half the lobby.

cantcme

Put 'display stats' in the options menu, just like setting up your controller.  User can turn it on or off whenever they please.

Carvalho16

Nah.

nicedrewishfela

So many threads on this subject..  why not participate in those?

ButterflyDream

I always thought patches might work i.e reach a specific milestone and you get a badge and once achieved it is permanent. Your current k/d is not viewable to anyone but yourself. Don't take away bragging rights as it is part of human nature.  Rather make having a higher k/d give you something worthwhile in return. I would also really love to see weapon patches you can wear that actually mean something. for example 5000 kills with a specific weapon, 1000 headshots etc.

The only stats i think should be visible to other players are obj ones i.e dom caps, defuses/plants, and in tdm w/l ratio (leaving a game counts as a loss). This shows if you are actually a team player or not and might encourage people to play the obj. 

Taking away some form of bragging rights will work against the community especially the younger players. Introducing any system will not change a persons playstyle but it might encourage more variety. If a a stat is a permanent achievement then once gotten you can play in a completely different way, because there is no more need to sit in far away bush anymore, unless that is how the person enjoys playing, fair enough if that is the case.

Silz616

Yeah, to many people play for how the stats look. Don't show them at all, in my opinion. The amount of smack talk about other players stats in pre game lobby's is crazy. Then when the bragger gets battered, they'll rage quit.

Voods

This is all placebo and bad kids whining. Halo you had to goto the website to see your K/D guess what?????? FPS is FPS, you will be called **** regardless. If you can't look at someones K/D and tell fake, camped, or legit then does it really matter? I like to see how bad my randoms are. Im sorry but if you have a 1.5 and under you are not as good as you think and not seeing the the 2.0+ K/Ds in your lobbies isnt gonna help.

#TOPICSTARTEDBYBK

MLDWAY1

A simple thing they could do is only have kill-based game modes count towards k/d. Like only TDM, Free-For-All, and Cranked would count towards your overall k/d and the other modes would not.