17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2014 12:36 PM by nicedrewishfela RSS

When (if ever) will Call of Duty stop using the hit-scan and go to projectile?

ghamorra

Call of Duty seems like a franchise that will forever stick with the hit-scan system. A system that instantly inflicts damage on an opponent based on the time your aim is on target. Any visual and auditory effects that make it seem like bullets are being fired are fabricated. Because of this, aiming and any form of weapon skill is greatly reduced. All you need to do is move your aim over a target and pull the trigger. Everything else is calculated and simulated.

A projectile system is about as realistic of a ballistics system as it can get. Battlefield and a select few others use it for sniping. Even CoD uses it with the Ballistic Knife and melee weapons, but never with a gun. Now that we're in the next generation of gaming I'm curious to see if Call of Duty will go into a full projectile system on all weapons,not just sniping.

• Re: When (if ever) will Call of Duty stop using the hit-scan and go to projectile?
          PUR4IDO

ghamorra wrote:

Call of Duty seems like a franchise that will forever stick with the hit-scan system. A system that instantly inflicts damage on an opponent based on the time your aim is on target. Any visual and auditory effects that make it seem like bullets are being fired are fabricated. Because of this, aiming and any form of weapon skill is greatly reduced. All you need to do is move your aim over a target and pull the trigger. Everything else is calculated and simulated.

A projectile system is about as realistic of a ballistics system as it can get. Battlefield and a select few others use it for sniping. Even CoD uses it with the Ballistic Knife and melee weapons, but never with a gun. Now that we're in the next generation of gaming I'm curious to see if Call of Duty will go into a full projectile system on all weapons,not just sniping.

It's a Twitch shooter, that's why.  If you go to the BF style, it looses it's biggest appeal, which is the fast arcade style it has. This is why most cod players, play cod & BF players do not like COD.

Here's something, you might not know or are not aware off, there cod players that only play cod & nothing else. Once you change that, they will lose those die hard fans.

• Re: When (if ever) will Call of Duty stop using the hit-scan and go to projectile?
              Izjar11

PUR4IDO wrote:

ghamorra wrote:

It's a Twitch shooter, that's why.  If you go to the BF style, it looses it's biggest appeal, which is the fast arcade style it has. This is why most cod players, play cod & BF players do not like COD.

Here's something, you might not know or are not aware off, there cod players that only play cod & nothing else. Once you change that, they will lose those die hard fans.

I've been playing BF4 allot (go to level 29).

At first going from COD to BF I had difficulty killing, it takes bullets to take someone down but I got use to it, via burst firing.

Then I tried sniping with its projectile calculations, and LOVED it. I enjoy having to aim and calculating distances between myself and the target.

I wrote about bullet trajectory before and many responded that its just not a COD thing and that people will probably hate it.

Izjar11

Dude,

Download BF and lets play it (or rent it) and then tell me if you think this community will want something more difficult?

I_Am_Tsukuyomi

i play both bf and cod  i see the difference and i agree they need to add it

scotland-rules

I don't think this would work out very well on CoD. CoD is an arcade shooter.

DMCI

Definitely wouldn't like this in CoD.. It takes away the arcade style shooter that we have all grown to love over the past decade. This is why CoD is the number ONE game in the world. That would be taking the soul of the series away and ruin it... completely!

Blazeww3

IF A PISTOL ROUND IN REAL LIFE FALLS TO THE GROUND AROUND 300 FT FROM THE GUN, THEN MANY CALL OF DUTY MAPS ARE MORE THAN BIG ENOUGH FOR BULLETS TO DROP.

gramthenOOb

I've played BF before and, as others have said before me, experienced the learning curve as well. I think CODs simulated fire system is pretty good. I think the only classes I could support having this functionality are the sniper rifles and the marksmen rifles (or their equivalents). I'm happy with everything else.

nicedrewishfela

I don't think it is a necessary change.

What is more important, in my opinion, is to bring back the differences between weapons classes and to add effective recoil and challenge back into the game.

We've gotten to a point where nearly every weapons class works the same. SMGs can be used across the map as effectively as an AR. ARs are effective in close range and can be as accurate as a Sniper across the map. LMG's are more effective for Sniping than Snipers are.... you see where I am going with this.

Make it so that every class works how they are intended, create maps that makes them all viable options. Make it so guns have noticeable recoil again so that skill and aim is brought back into the equation and reduce the effectiveness of hip fire... and I think you solve a lot of the issues.

In a Fast twitch shooter, you don't always have the time to adjust for bullet drop, etc.

Rexens_View

The difference in weapons is a key component for sure, weapon skill seemed to be an nonentity for Ghosts and took a major backseat to map placement/knowledge.

For me map knowledge and placement aren't skill so much, they are memory and strategy. Strategy is very important but in a fast FPS game - weapon skill should be paramount.

That means larger recoil & sway, balanced damage & distance etc, then you can use strategy based around having or lacking those skills.

Like you say maps also have a large bearing on weapon effectiveness so these all have to be taken into design consideration.

In COD there aren't really maps large enough to warrant bullet-drop etc and it also is badly affected by latency (especially leading bullets).

Latency has enough issues in COD without adding lead time etc - it would be too difficult to accurately synchronize the data effectively. 

DeviousC0DY

I would love this. But it will never happen. Too many people complain about their gun of choice not competing against higher tier guns.

Lol, I am going to say it. It was ruined when QS became popular.

This is where the OP is correct, as the dynamic of trajectory would play and balance the game. Even arcade fastpaced.

SMGs should be short range, high burst, after that lose accuracy quickly. Then have varieties of the guns a bit better accuracy at medium range with less RoF. Almost getting to AR type of gun just with less ammo.

ARs should be short to medium range, different types of fire. Balanced gun for everything.

LMGs, take a bit longer to keep going and can cover medium to long range, but really inaccurate at range. Use spray and pray with ammo count to suppress and shoot through objects. Also slow player down. Then a few varieties.

Snipers, even though I hate to say it. should have two types. QS attachment that removes aim assist, and center point aiming by default, make it give you a variable of 9 sides and center and you cannot attach other attachments. Then the traditional  sniper for medium to long ranges.

Shotguns should have the same capability as before, hard ohk guns with bad accuracy outside of a few feet to semi auto and auto that take two shots or headshots.

No knife lunge. Make it a two hit weapon from the front side, Ohk from the back.

Each set would fill a role and a surrounding. No more SMGs sniping or other guns filling in other roles.