18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2014 8:55 AM by Gunnerman677 RSS

Multiplayer Is Not Working, But Zombies Is.

We recently upgraded to Xplornet's 5Mb plan on 4G. Now, people will say "5 meg isn't good." However, it is fine for online gaming, and that's a fact. I play without lag on every other game. Battlefield 4, Modern Warfare 2 and 3, and even Ghosts. My brother also frequents Black Ops 1. However, he also cannot play Black Ops 2's multiplayer, but can play Zombies. We both have PS3s and live in the same house. When we had the 1.5Mb plan, we got into lobbies all the time. We lagged a lot, sure. However, we can't get into any lobbies. Not a single one.

What I have tried;

Port forwarding (with the ports from Free Help Forwarding Ports - PortForward.com)

UPnP is enabled

DMZing my PS3 (just to be certain, you know?)

Rebooting my router, PS3, and modem

QOS settings (with my PS3 on highest priority)

My Router is a Netgear R6100. Keep in mind that we could play Ghosts, Black Ops 1&2, MW2&3, Battlefield, and whatever else on our old plan (albeit, it was laggy probably ~70% of the time). I'm not sure why upgrading would make Black Ops 2's multiplayer inaccessible. I don't understand what's going on. I am also running a wired connection. If there is anything anybody could do to aid me, I would be quite grateful, as would my younger brother.

Thanks for reading.

Latest reply: on Jun 29, 2014 8:55 AM by Replies: 18 in Black Ops II Technical Support
        • Test #1
          Re: Multiplayer Is Not Working, But Zombies Is.

New information:

NAT Type shows up as 2 on my PS3

Download speeds clocks in at 3.2Mbps (which is more than enough, even though it's not a reliable way of measuring available bandwidth).

I have also uninstalled all of my DLC maps (which probably means I won't be able to get them back because I've already downloaded them twice. Yay).

Last Edited: Jun 25, 2014 7:02 PM
          • Test #1

What's your conn. info for Ghosts?

You can check for it when you press the 'select' button once you go to options from multiplayer.

Last Edited: Jun 25, 2014 7:24 PM
            • Test #1

Does anybody else have any input?

Last Edited: Jun 26, 2014 12:44 PM
                • Test #1

No new window really popped up? Hmm.. When you connect online then go to options, did you check on the bottom right part if there was a conn. info or something?

Last Edited: Jun 26, 2014 12:48 PM
                    • Test #1

There was absolutely nothing. Could you link me to an article/thread that shows this? Perhaps I'm doing it wrong somehow.

Last Edited: Jun 26, 2014 1:08 PM
                      • Test #1

Yea, there is no such feature on Ghosts. I searched the Internet for quite a while to no avail.

My Black Ops 2 connection info on the other hand is this;

CONNECTIVITY INFORMATION: A.B.C.D.E.F.G.H.I.J.-.L.M.-.-.-.-.-.

NAT TYPE: MODERATE

BANDWIDTH 862Kbps (it is stated that this is more than enough, although this is the lowest I've seen it all day, it's usually around 1.2Mbps)

IP ADDRESS: <<<<<<

GEOGRAPHICAL REGION: <<<<<<<

CONNECTION TYPE: WIRED

I know Moderate is not ideal, but it is still usable. However, the point of this is to find out why nothing is opening the NAT. Hell, even if it gets me consistent matches with a Moderate NAT type, I would be perfectly content. My NAT has become Moderate for every game, but Black Ops 2 is the only one to stop working. Zombies works fine, but I hate Zombies. I want to play the Multiplayer. It's simply not working for me at all, which is really frustrating.

Last Edited: Jun 26, 2014 5:17 PM
                          • Test #1

Your NAT being moderate is probably the root of your entire problem. Open it up.

Last Edited: Jun 27, 2014 3:34 AM
                              • Test #1

The problem is that the NAT simply isn't opening. I have tried everything and anything I can think of.

Last Edited: Jun 27, 2014 4:59 AM
                                  • Test #1

You know what? I just looked at your OP again.

You're on WiFi ... you'll never achieve Open Nat using wifi. You need to be hardwired with a Cat 5 cable. I'm fairly confident this is a security design that has been brought to COD after years of people using cell phones as their ISP in order to create artificial lag switches.

Last Edited: Jun 27, 2014 12:13 PM
                                      • Test #1

In the OP, I stated that I am on a wired connection.

Last Edited: Jun 27, 2014 6:31 PM
                                          • Test #1

Let's go back to the very first words of your post ...

"We recently upgraded to Xplornet's 5Mb plan on 4G."

Just to make sure, I decided to do a Google search for Xplorenet. Here's part of the screen grab from that result.

xplorenet pic.JPG

If you want to verify that result with your own Google search, you'll discover that the next several results, believe it or not, have links right back to the COD forums. Apparently you are not the only one having issues with Xplorenet.

You're on WiFi, dude. As long as you use WiFi, you're not going to achieve Open NAT.

Last Edited: Jun 28, 2014 1:35 AM
                                              • Test #1

I'm not on WiFi. WiFi is the local area wireless network. I'm hard-wired to a router. Either way, this problem appears to be unique to this plan from Xplornet, with a variance of reliability. Some people experience no problems, while others appear to experience problems quite similar to mine. We had Xplornet's 1.5mgbs plan less than two weeks ago, and we always had an Open NAT. I used to have to be the host for my clan's parties so we could get into matches quicker.

Moreover, my friend (who lives just down the road) has the exact same plan as me, and he doesn't experience the same Black Ops 2 problem as I do. He can get into matches with ease and experiences no lag. I can't stress it enough that I'm not connected to WiFi. I am wired. I'm not sure if you're using trying to say something else, but WiFi is a technology that routers use to create a wireless local area network (WLAN). I'm not connected to the WLAN, so I am not on WiFi. Also, all that has changed in that we upgraded. Still the same router, same gaming setup, and same people playing. We had Open NAT types almost all of them time prior to upgrading.

Honestly, I really wish they would create a support case. This is starting to get tedious. :/ I appreciate all of the input that I am receiving, but there's just nothing being said in this thread that helps to pinpoint the issue.

Last Edited: Jun 28, 2014 8:22 AM
                                • Test #1

Hi Gunnerman677,

A Customer Support case has been created regarding your issue.  Please log into support.activision.com, My Support>My Cases for additional assistance.

Regards ^AH

Last Edited: Jun 28, 2014 5:20 PM
                                  • Test #1

You have two PS3 s. Are you trying to play them at the same time?

Anyhow, with two consoles you need to set up your router correctly, otherwise you will have the two consoles competing for ports.

First step: Take uPnp off (you do not want this on if you are using port forwarding / dmz)

Now you have some options:

set up port triggering (no static IPs required)

or

Assign seperate Static IP's to both consoles --> crucial if you wish to do the following

Use port forwarding on one

Place the pother into the dmz

Use the following as a reference.

It is specific to Ghosts when it comes to the ports, however it will work for BO2

Use the references down the bottom,,, although I see you are already familiar with portforward.com

Achieving Open NAT - port numbers included. Ghosts V2

Big tip --> if you are having trouble working this out please ring Netgear. They are very good when it comes to customer service. Explain to them that you have two consoles and you wish for both to have Open NAT.

Last Edited: Jun 29, 2014 6:42 AM