18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2014 2:39 AM by Sliktrax RSS

Why Is Ghost So Outrageously Laggy ?

Sliktrax

In all the cod games i have played lag has been apparent granted, BUT ever since "COD Black Ops" got released its gone down hill rapidly. I note that from rumours it had to do with a net code change, i do not know for sure if this an accurate truth but imo it does seem to be the most logical explanation.

How ever it would seem that at least black ops was somewhat playable, where as "COD Ghost" especialy on the XB1 is not i have had very few games that have not been dictated by lag. I can assure you from extensive testing with & with out microsoft (any other source of support is useless) that my speeds and packet rates are what some might term as over qualified. Thus meaning more than adaquately capable of playing this game (ports are open as is the DMZ option), yet this game still is unplayable.

There is no enjoyment just a bold spot where my hair used to be, and by far the worst mode i ever entered (keep in mind i am a hardcore player) i tried Clan match which ofcourse is CORE. Understandably it will take a couple more shots to put down an enemy granted, but the lag was so bad its shamefully unacceptable.

I do not know where in the world these people were located and tbh i dont quite care, when you pay the money to play and its practically useless it should not even be on shelfs let alone having the release of DLC content.

Can someone please enlighten me as to what the hell these people are doing, or have done to ruin such a game (as previously mentioned) lag has always been apparent but NEVER to this degree its embarrassingly obvious and im pretty sure for this game at least it will not get fixed, i dont believe there capable of this.

Not to mention that any future games are completely of my radar, if there is but 1 game that has my attention it is "Tom Clancy's - Devision" due for release in 2015, as yet i must say regardless of new gen console having not long been released the games are severely lacking full stop imo.

So what are your opinions and how do you deal with the lag Ghost emits ?

• Re: Why Is Ghost So Outrageously Laggy ?
          Shadowelite555

I never really had a problem with lag in Ghost. Every once in awhile one person brings the whole lobby down into a slow, laggy game, but not too often.

• Re: Why Is Ghost So Outrageous Lag ?
            IconicHeadShot25

The lag is haunting you like a Ghost #Lag the ghost

Worst on-line multiplayer hands down. I've had far more laggy games than clean ones with this game. Don't expect anything different from AW even though they extensively advertise their multiplayer. Just an advertising gimmick, or as I like to call it, a sham.

BrianBell

I own this game on both the PS4 and the XBox One.  I notice very little if any lag on my PS4 copy when playing online.  My XBox One, on the other hand, lags in EVERY match I play.  For this reason alone I know it's not my internet connection and every connection test I run on my XBox One comes back with a ping latency of under 100 which is good and a connection strength running between 90% and 100%.  Yet every single game I get into my character is bouncing all over the place on the map.  Now I don't know if it's the "dedicated" servers they are using for the XBox One or if it's the people I'm being matched up with, but Ghosts on the XBox One has been by far the worst online experience I've had in the many years I've been playing COD.

Sliktrax

Your right and that is why i have no intention of buying the new "COD Advanced Warfare" i cant stomach anymore of this garbage there trying to feed us. What happened to good old war games like W@W or even MW2 it at least had an upgrade and worked well.

And this net code ball **** needs to stop i really am sorry to all the people with poor connections but tell me why should i suffer endless BS matches when i pay quite a hefty bill with the idea i can get the best speeds possible out of my game time for me and for everyone else if i should be host.

All COD games as stated have had some lag but this is by far the most redonkulous.

salamanda-sai

The laggy games have nothing to do with poor connections or anything like that.

The reason we are all getting laggy games is that IW in their infinite wisdom has decided to match people up for games from all over the world in the same match.

I have recently had several games where we have had people from USA, UK, Australia and Asia in the same game, so of course your going to have laggy games.

Matchmaking should be regional and not world wide.

RayOldGuy

I did get into a game with some UK folks the other night. I did not see lag, but they sure were complaining about it. How can you tell who the "host" is? I am thinking it was me. I was showing all bars, but they were reporting 2 or 3.

Sliktrax

TBH i used to play COD W@W & MW2 with my good friend PGCD Duke Nukem whom is from the US and play others from his side of town NEVER had issues like this, its only gone down hill since the so called net code change on  COD B.O 1 and gotton progressively worse as time has gone on.

phxs72

This would be the source for most of what we've had to deal with in the last few weeks.  You simply cannot match US with China and Spain and expect it to play well for everyone.  Yet that's exactly what they have been doing over the last several weeks.  Someone has loosened the reigns on the regions for matchmaking and every match puts someone if not a bunch of someones at a large disadvantage.  Fortunately for me, I have many years of experience shooting people that are blinking their way across the map.  So I often can still do well but for casual players this has got to suck.

Xx67Customs

When the game first came out, gameplay (as far as connection goes) was the best I had ever experienced on CoD. However, like other CoDs, the more DLC that was released, the more laggy the game played. After this last release... it has been pretty bad.

The reason seems to mostly be because of the split of player pools. Three things come into play when talking about the division of payer pools:

1) Console Change - That was an automatic split of player groups. Xbox One may see 30k people an evening these days. Pretty limited player pool.

2) Not the favorite CoD - While Ghosts seems to play well, it has increasingly become the consensus most boring CoD. I hear a lot of people that say it plays well, it is just boring. Whatever the reason... numbers are down. Limits player pools further. 30K seems to be on good days. I sometimes only see 22-25k people on.

3) DLC Releases - Each time another DLC is released, player pools get split further because not everyone has the same DLC.

At the end of the day... if you start with just 22-30k people a night playing and you split that into pools based on DLC... you have a very small player pool to get into. You get into lobbies with players further away and it makes for a worse connection experience.

It is a shame too. Ghosts played very well at the beginning, but the player pools have just been reduced to much for there to be an easy fix.

Hopefully since Advanced Warfare is specifically made for current gen consoles and the previous gen is getting a bit of a watered down version, and hopefully more people are getting current gen consoles, we may see larger player pools for current gen consoles. Given that they did well at the start of Ghosts, I'm have good hopes that Advanced Warfare's connections at least start off well.

Sliktrax

While that may be true to some degree it does not explain away the fact that other CODS even with the smaller player pools such as MW2, for (EG) it still plays in a far more superior way. While yes there is some lag it is to be expected in such a game, but it in no way rivals that of the lag in COD Ghost.

And lets face it MW2 was apparently a very broken game which needed fixes but didnt see them for what ever reasons, thus my conslusion is COD A.W is not on my to buy list, as far as im concerned for the fact that i have caved to many times due to peer pressure (IE) friends buying the game, renting it telling me its good.

Only to find out that while the idea of the games may be somewhat sound, the game play never is not since as stated COD B.O was released and the apparent net code was altered.

Xx67Customs

MW2 was the peak of CoD. Tons of people in the player pool and there wasn't a console change going on.

And not to be mean, but a lot of people see MW2 with rose colored classes. It was a fun game, but didn't play as well as people "remember." There was SO much raging in that game it wasn't even funny.

Ghosts is very hurt by the console change, being a slower paced game, and it's place in the Call of Duty life cycle. What is it... the 9th CoD? I mean, peak interest in the game has gone down. Especially in a time where people are trying to re-invent the FPS.

With only 20k people online a night... all with different DLCs downloaded... you get slim player pools and that simply equates to more latency.

Sliktrax

yes but with all due respect what i was trying to say is even now people still play MW2 and lets be fair, the player pool is really small as i can go back even now and play and see the same gamer tags i saw last time.

Yet even with some games being really quite laggy for what it is it still maintains a better hit responce, granted its been out a lot longer but am i right in saying support was dropped for it ?

Meaning it didnt get the fixes it needed and despite it being a broken game for me at least it still played better...

But i cant deny yes there is also a console change, and blatently new game new console yes sure i can admitt its going to see quite some problems, but even still we know its been quite a while now and the net code isnt fixed yet. And i feel quite confident we wont see it get any better than it is now, and likely hood is any other games created wont get a better conectivity.

Xx67Customs

I agree with the first part. MW2, the way it plays right now, is pretty much what you get every time you log on and it isn't that bad. However, you get a static expereince since the players that play it are pretty much there everytime you play it.

Ghosts is coming off a DLC drop and they matchmaking and patches haven't caught up to it yet.

It is up and down for me. Some lobbies feel good, some are awful. If you guve Ghosts somet time, it will level out.

But I agree with you... right now it is horrible.

I also don't think that the way Ghosts plays right now is indicative of the way AW will run.

Sliktrax

On that note another reason AW is not on my radar is because its way to futuristic, i dont want a cheap copy of halo with ray guns with apparently a double jump function < that was heard through the grape vine> it might very well be an untrue statememnt or i wasnt paying attention to the conversation propperly either way.

Regardless of first COD game on new GEN console they messed up way to many times on previous GEN, for me to care what they do on Current GEN console.

And unless a revamp of W@W is done or a W@W 2 its highly unlikely i will touch another cod with a barge poll..

Xx67Customs

I don't think it is fair to critcize a game based on what you "heard through the grape vine." You should actually watch the gameplays and trailer before judging.

Nothing worse than someone criticizing something solely based on what someone else told them. And I don't just mean video games, I mean life in general.

I mean, after you watch them, you may actually hate the way the game looks, which is fine, but form your own decision. Don't just be a sheep.

As far as what they did in previous gens, you are letting that completely dictate what you think of current gens? Again, it is fine to hate it after you see how it runs, but I hardly think it is fair to judge before you see it. First CoD game totally designed for current gen. Lets see how it works, first.

I would personally love to see a WaW 2 as well. I think it would be epic if done correctly.

Sliktrax

I had already seen what i needed to most recently, and just noticed today that you have posted, it did indeed confirm what i heard.

Not to mention the other futuristic crap and as for being a sheep i been doing that since B.O came out, had i of followed my instincts MW2 would have been the last game i bought.

This franchise has gone down hill and i still have no intention of purchasing future games unless as said W@W is revamped or W@W 2 comes out and it best not have stupid crap in it, and trust i will be doing a ton of research before i buy the game (and believe it will be out for quite some time before i even decide to buy) so i can get forum feedback. And if it looks like ghosts forums do now it will be a no go.