1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 59 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2014 7:21 PM by shayswhim Go to original post RSS
      • 50. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
        scotland-rules

iivrruummii wrote:

What is the point in having "competitive multiplayer" if it isn't competitive?

Its competitive, just not nearly to the same degree as Esports which is what I've said in the last few posts. Esports is an extreme version of CoD that not many (given the numbers who play) like it. Again look at League Play stats of how many regularly played league play on PS3, While it did have a good following, it was again a minority.

• 51. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
          scotland-rules

Yppecaye_the_Dogged wrote:

You'll get the extremes on the spectrum:  Those that want competitive play like in League; and those, sadly, who'll only play in lobbies full of randoms to keep their KD and I guess feel they're good.

I have nothing really again Esports other than I do want it to remain separate. I like the 'mixed chocolates' analogy someone used in another thread, you'll come across people who're amazing and so much better than you and some who are terrible and I personally like that as it doesn't mean I have to be on Tryhard mode and run the best class set ups. I love using random class set ups that are entirely impractical but I couldn't do that if I had to be Esports competitive 24/7.

• 52. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
            SubToXd

Well yes Epsorts is a different caliber of play, but the reason it doesnt have such a big following is because not a lot of people know about it. It is growing though, youd be surpised.

I think that the ranked playlist (depending on what it is) can bring more awareness to Esports. If they can use this playlists to unlock more rewards and have skill based matchmaking i think it will be a big hit. I liked league play from BOP2 but it had a horrible ranking and matching system.

And they need to figure out a system that punishes players who leave (lose rank/time ban) but doesnt mistake a player leaving for getting DDOSed (host booted/kicked offline). Thats the number 1 issue these days.

• 53. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
              iivrruummii

SubToXd wrote:

And they need to figure out a system that punishes players who leave (lose rank/time ban) but doesnt mistake a player leaving for getting DDOSed (host booted/kicked offline). Thats the number 1 issue these days.

Exactly.

I would prefer that they just make a ranking system for each playlist.  COD needs a more competitive nature.  I am tired of playing games were people don't try or just suck so much that they don't know how to play the game properly.  I want to play with people with similar skills as me.  LP was the only time that really happened but only having 2 playlists was a joke, thus why I think every playlist should have a ranks. 

• 54. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
                scotland-rules

iivrruummii wrote:

SubToXd wrote:

Exactly.

I would prefer that they just make a ranking system for each playlist.  COD needs a more competitive nature.  I am tired of playing games were people don't try or just suck so much that they don't know how to play the game properly.  I want to play with people with similar skills as me.  LP was the only time that really happened but only having 2 playlists was a joke, thus why I think every playlist should have a ranks.

Then why don't you just get involved in eSports then? If you want and crave that 'more' competitive nature of a game, go find it. But I think the amount of people who don't want it, greatly out weight the people who do.

I still think if we a ran a poll on the main lobby of MP where people got to vote "Do you want Skill Based Matchmaking to be standard across all game modes in CoD" (then an explanation of what that means The vote would probably be no and that's not just opinion, I've watched a lot of videos on the subject and I've watched a lot of threads on the community about it and I just think everyone likes the 'Mixed Chocolates' of MP that CoD provides.

I mean the community kind of flipped out when the discussion came up in BO2 that the standard MP might have been weighted with some kind of Skill Based Matchmaking.

Forcing people to play competitive to such an extreme level (more than casual competitiveness) would ruin MP. That's why Esports is separate.

• 55. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
                  iivrruummii

scotland-rules wrote:

Then why don't you just get involved in eSports then? If you want and crave that 'more' competitive nature of a game, go find it. But I think the amount of people who don't want it, greatly out weight the people who do.

I tried but I rather have a more competitive multiplayer than be in eSports.  A more competitive game would give the game more of a purpose to play.  Players that are good and want a challenge can easily find it online without going to a 3rd party website.  The amount of people that don't want it could be the same amount as people that do, while the majority don't care either way.  Without a clear statistic, who knows?

scotland-rules wrote:

I still think if we a ran a poll on the main lobby of MP where people got to vote "Do you want Skill Based Matchmaking to be standard across all game modes in CoD" (then an explanation of what that means The vote would probably be no and that's not just opinion, I've watched a lot of videos on the subject and I've watched a lot of threads on the community about it and I just think everyone likes the 'Mixed Chocolates' of MP that CoD provides.

Everyone may like it how it is but are also scared to have change.   People beg for change and when something changes they cry that it changed.  I personally am tired of the COD's skill less multiplayer.  Having a bit of a challenge is rewarding.  Nothing is really rewarding about beating up on scrubs all day long, just saying.

scotland-rules wrote:

I mean the community kind of flipped out when the discussion came up in BO2 that the standard MP might have been weighted with some kind of Skill Based Matchmaking.

Well considering it wasn't explained how it works or why people should accept it, allows for people to expect the worst from it.  In my opinion it hardly even worked.

scotland-rules wrote:

Forcing people to play competitive to such an extreme level (more than casual competitiveness) would ruin MP. That's why Esports is separate.

Just having it isn't forcing anyone to play more competitively.  If you don't care about winning, then you probably will have a lower skill level compared to someone who does.  As for wanting a skill based matchmaking system, doesn't directly correlate to eSports.  Halo 2 had a SBMS before the game was even picked up by MLG.

All they really need to do is make a system that doesn't reduce pool size based on rank, and have a rank for each playlist.  As I have stated before a simple skill level on each playlist based off of wins is very simple to make.  If anyone has ever played Forza 2 or Forza 3, then you would still get matched up with higher or lower level players but you were expected to finish in a certain location.  If you were further back than you expected location then you lost rank, and if you were higher then you gained rank.  It is a very simple system.

I personally think that COD's matchmaking needs to change in one way or another.  With eSports or not, I think there should be a skill based ranking system in the game.

• 56. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
                    scotland-rules

iivrruummii wrote:

scotland-rules wrote:

I tried but I rather have a more competitive multiplayer than be in eSports.  A more competitive game would give the game more of a purpose to play.  Players that are good and want a challenge can easily find it online without going to a 3rd party website.  The amount of people that don't want it could be the same amount as people that do, while the majority don't care either way.  Without a clear statistic, who knows?

scotland-rules wrote:

Everyone may like it how it is but are also scared to have change.   People beg for change and when something changes they cry that it changed.  I personally am tired of the COD's skill less multiplayer.  Having a bit of a challenge is rewarding.  Nothing is really rewarding about beating up on scrubs all day long, just saying.

scotland-rules wrote:

Well considering it wasn't explained how it works or why people should accept it, allows for people to expect the worst from it.  In my opinion it hardly even worked.

scotland-rules wrote:

Just having it isn't forcing anyone to play more competitively.  If you don't care about winning, then you probably will have a lower skill level compared to someone who does.  As for wanting a skill based matchmaking system, doesn't directly correlate to eSports.  Halo 2 had a SBMS before the game was even picked up by MLG.

All they really need to do is make a system that doesn't reduce pool size based on rank, and have a rank for each playlist.  As I have stated before a simple skill level on each playlist based off of wins is very simple to make.  If anyone has ever played Forza 2 or Forza 3, then you would still get matched up with higher or lower level players but you were expected to finish in a certain location.  If you were further back than you expected location then you lost rank, and if you were higher then you gained rank.  It is a very simple system.

I personally think that COD's matchmaking needs to change in one way or another.  With eSports or not, I think there should be a skill based ranking system in the game.

I'm kind of getting tired of the discussion because I don't see it going anywhere as we both have totally different view points.. I'm going to make this reply brief because I've said everything I want to say.

The fact is we have services that allow you to go against skill based opponents, its just not a core feature of the game because the core feature of the game isn't about being an overly competitive game and I think that is why eSports is separate. I think the vast majority of players understand that CoDs success has been largely due to its random nature of skill vs casualness and even a bad player can do well in some games as its the 'mixed chocolates' analogy, you never know what you'll get.

I think to change that you'll be changing the core of the game. CoD offers the pick up and play feeling and therefore that's why some other FPS games aren't as popular as CoD because they don't deliver on that and vastly changing this would hurt CoD. It has enough following that'll survive but I don't think it would thrive the way it has.

BF series has this issue because the skill required to do well in that game is much higher than it is in CoD. I've played a fair amount of BF and I love it but I can't play all the time because I don't always like performing to that level, sometimes I want the mindless carnage of CoD and that's again why I like it because each game is random and full of surprises. I could go in and do well and next game I get my ass handed to me.

I'll relate this to another popular game. The GTA series. GTA has a minority following who wish to make a simulation of Cops in the game and each game they've campaigned for inclusion to have people become police in the online multiplayer free roam but because they're a minority its never happened and instead they have their own group with 3rd party services in which they can do this by making their own rules and playing the game differently....a little like eSports, (Not the same concept but you get the picture)

It does sound like perhaps you have outgrown the series which can happen for some people. You said in another thread recently CoD has never lived up to what you expect and perhaps this means you've started to outgrow the series and wish for something more than the series is about.

• 57. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
                      iivrruummii

As I said, I really don't care what esports does, I want a skill based ranking system because I think it will positively make the game better for everyone.  You use the same exact rules as before but with a rank overlaid.  Very simple concept and it won't change the game much.  All it will do is give something for people to strive for, like having a good K/D, SPM, etc.  It is very simple to incorporate and not very cost effective.

• 58. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
                        shayswhim

when are you talking because i played on ps2 on black hawk down for gbs and when you would set up a match any kind of launcher or claymore ied whatever was banned permitted you could you frags and tacticles so ya im curious when you are talking??

• 59. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
                          shayswhim

cod should have the same meta fro ranked and public for example look at LoL or  any game simalar to it the public and ranked playes have access to the exact same stuff literly the exact same only real difrenxce is the pros know most champions and items they know to look at what other players have for items or if a player is mising and adapt there items and play style accordingly

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next