Gun DLC - I'm already put off

Advanced Warfare General Discussion

Gun DLC - I'm already put off

Hello CoD Community.

I've been a CoD fan all my life and I'd go as far as to have called myself a fanboy of the series. I've enjoyed most CoD titles excluding Black Ops 2 but I'm not here to talk about that. I'm here to talk about Gun DLC. At the end of the gameplay shown at E3 we got told if we pre-order AW we'll get exclusive access to a custom EXO-Skelton Suit thing and an EM1 Quantum Weapon.

Personally I'm now put off AW already. I got a feeling back in Black Ops 2 that CoD would be changing to have Gun DLC full time. After-all they introduced the first ever DLC weapon. Now in Ghosts it seems we're getting one with every map pack. However I'm totally put off by Gun DLC as I see it as a form of Pay to Win and I honestly think that its granting a tactical advantage. 

The big question is: Why are they producing paid weapon DLC?

The answer of course is money. I guess DLC sales started to decline and they wanted them picked back up. However I don't understand why in such a big shooter that they're wanting to grant others tactical advantages?

I mean they have map packs, micro dlc and a massive, massive fan base.

Now if they introduced weapon DLC for free then I think I'd be more than happy to have it. Having free DLC means the developers want to give something back to the loyal fan base but also ensure the balance of multiplayer is maintained. Its a competitive shooter and the selling point is the Multiplayer. So upsetting the balance isn't a good idea.

To this day we still see Ripper DLC complaints and it was largely agreed it was granting a slight tactical advantage.

So am I the only one put off by this news of weapon DLC? As a pre-order and obviously it will be in the game?

Activision Ambassador
16 REPLIES

Re: Gun DLC - I'm already put off

in reply to Scotland-Rules

Though I agree with what you say, if you play other games the truth is online gaming is heading in this direction of paying for things, BF4, War Thunder, Blacklight retribution, etc all pay as you go. Good or bad?

personally, if I buy a game I would want all content given to me.

as a business professional, I can understand more profits are to be made but at what expense?

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to Izjar11

Blacklight Retribution was a Free to Play - you expect it in free to play games. I've always expected it from BF as its an EA title, I've only seen rare moments of generosity from them.

The problem is CoD is huge and that's the reason it bothers me. They don't need to introduce paid Gun DLC but they're doing it for extra profits and completely unbalancing the multiplayer but they know they have a huge market and can afford to upset us all they like.

Its also a money factor as well. The price of the map packs is huge. I mean £12 per pack (don't know about Dollars) whereas you see other companies producing new (not reskined maps) and selling them at £7.99 or less. And you think to yourself? Is this value for money?

It isn't.

Activision Ambassador

scotland-rules wrote:

Blacklight Retribution was a Free to Play - you expect it in free to play games. I've always expected it from BF as its an EA title, I've only seen rare moments of generosity from them.

The problem is CoD is huge and that's the reason it bothers me. They don't need to introduce paid Gun DLC but they're doing it for extra profits and completely unbalancing the multiplayer but they know they have a huge market and can afford to upset us all they like.

Its also a money factor as well. The price of the map packs is huge. I mean £12 per pack (don't know about Dollars) whereas you see other companies producing new (not reskined maps) and selling them at £7.99 or less. And you think to yourself? Is this value for money?

It isn't.

I've played many free to play, and they are actually pay to play (they trick you) because you can purchase all the more advanced things with some prices upto $99.99.

The map price (IMO) should be less, its not huge but should be less money than what the game costs.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

My question is this... will that weapon and Exo Suit be available to ALL upon release, without the "Bullet Bronze" Camo?

If so, not a problem. But I agree that I am not liking the move to "Pay to Play".

Pre-Orders and DLC should NOT impact the balance of the game. Players should be working to unlock things, not handed them.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

I blame mobile games. Mobile games use a micro transaction format and make bank. They're super easy to make and even though they're cheap you buy so much of them that it makes more than a ton of money. Console games are trying to do the same thing. However, players are already spending 60+ on a game thanks to all the DLC.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

Has turned me off mobile gaming. I play Tapped Out (Simpsons), which has In App Purchases, but they don't dictate the course of the game (though lately they have gotten worse about it). I wanted some variety so tried other games... and  it seems the norm these days is that if you want to progress, at all... you need to put down some cold, hard cash.

Skill and persistence is out the window.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
Highlighted

Well... it's a pre-order bonus.

... but...

... I don't like that. I'm okay with making it availble for all to buy or free to anyone... but bonuses are often tied to a certain retail chain. Do you get nothing if you pay full bank and download it digitally?

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
Level 75

in reply to RAN Kismet

It will be free to all after 3-4 months.

Level 75

It looks like it's just a skin so nothing to worry about just yet.

Level 48

Studios