How could it... and how should it work?

Advanced Warfare General Discussion

How could it... and how should it work?

Ok, so we've been having discussions on here, some have degraded into arguments, about some of the things confirmed for this new title in regards to Multi-Player. Boost-Jumping, Side-jumping, the possibility of cloaking, grappling hooks... Please feel free to add anything I missed.

Thus far, I have expressed my doubts and concerns about additions like the Boost Jump. Never have been a big fan of the super, or Halo-style jump. My experience with it in games has been negative, and I just didn't see it fitting into the CoD lexicon.

This weekend, however, I finally got to spend some time in Titanfall for the first time.. and it really made me rethink my position quite a bit. While there was quite a bit I wasn't crazy about in that game... the freedom of movement I absolutely fell in love with. The Double Jump capability wasn't Overpowered to me, and it was done in such a way the movement felt natural. It was freeing to be able to wall climb and pretty much go wherever I wanted to go.

But it worked in that game because it was implemented the right way.

So basically, in this thread.. I don't want to debate whether things should or should not be in the game. Some we know are back, others could very well be in the game based on what we've seen. So, if they are going to be in the game.... let's discuss what can or should be done to make it work effectively in game. Because, let's face it.. we've seen innovations put into the game before that weren't implemented correctly.

So here are a few of my thoughts on how things could and should be implemented to work effectively in game.

Boost Jumping- I really liked how this worked in TF, using a double jump rather than a constant rising jump. It had a purpose, not just to jump really, really high, but to traverse the map effectively. In order to be effective, you had to learn to control it. Want to get to the top of a building? Had to double jump at the height of your jump to get more height. Want to jump a wider gap? You'd have to time your double jump longer into your jump in order to get enough distance to clear the space. It needs to require some thought and skill, or you just get people bouncing around constantly... which isn't much fun in Multiplayer games.

Secondly- Map Design is KEY. Having the boost jump is simply a gimmick if it doesn't serve any real purpose. CoD has always had a limited range of motion and exploration. There are always, and have always been, limitations on where you can and can't go. We all know the invisible walls and bizarre boundaries put into CoD maps to date. In order for the Boost Jump to really reach it's full potential, we have got to be given more map freedom than ever before. Maps have to have a level of verticality and accessibility, and players have to have more freedom of movement. If done correctly, this could really help make the game more strategic and even cut down on some of the "extreme" play styles we have come to know over the years. Run and Gunners can't just run willy nilly as they have to be aware of directionality and movement of enemies, and Campers can't rely on staying in one spot as they can be attacked from multiple angles.

Cloaking- In order for this work, in my opinion... it should NEVER make a player completely invisible. While they should blend in with their environment, they should still be visible through their outline, and upon discharging their weapon the cloaking ability should be disrupted.

I see this working as equipment, taking over a slot in your loadout. You can turn it on and off, but the effects only last for a short while before needing to be recharged. Perhaps with the new Exo Suits we will have specialized abilities.... this could work in that regard as well.

That's it for now, would love to hear your thoughts on how these implementations could, or should be used.

Please feel free to discuss other new elements that I didn't touch on, since I only focused on these two.

Keep it positive and remember we are discussion implementation, not arguing about if they should be in the game. Enjoy, and Happy Gaming.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
34 REPLIES

Re: How could it... and how should it work?

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

Shooting a weapon while jumping should be damn near impossible. Sure you can pull the trigger but it should only be hipfire and be very hard to control. Jumping should not be something you can repeatedly do as in, you shouldn't be able to constantly double jump across the map as your only means of travel.

Cloaking should be a one use thing, have multiple counters, and short use item.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

Cloaking and double jump work great in titanfall.

The cloak is rechargeable, but it can only be activated once per charge. And if you cloak, then shoot, the shot disables it. Also once you start the cloak,your charge is gone,  so if you cloak, then immediately shoot, you cannot cloak again until it fully recharges. It takes about 4x as long to charge as it lasts so choosing when to cloak is important. Also the cloak doesn't make you invisible, it just bends the light. Its really only useful against titans. You can see a cloaked pilot very easily once you learn to look for it.

The double jump also isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I think that has more to do with map design.

I don't think either one hurts the game.

The funny thing about all of it is that its nothing that we won't adapt to. In TF if you play like you are playing cod, you will get destroyed. Adding another dimension to movement is great IMO. Just about every other shooter is boring to me now. I find myself trying to wall run and double jump every time I play.

To be even more honest I don't think I'll be too interested in cod once destiny drops. Its just too "simple" for me after playing TF and destiny.

Activision Ambassador

in reply to gotsomestars

Honestly, I would like the movement of AW to be as fast as TF. I have TF on PC and it is a good game. COD needs some new elements and boost jumping is a welcome addition for me. I hope we can ADS and fire while in the air with no penalty to accuracy. May the player with superior reaction, coordination and accuracy win. They need to make boost jumping deeply integrated into the gameplay and not just something that should be used tactically.

Level 35

in reply to Run_N_Gunning_C

These are super soldiers so they should be able to jump, shoot, and ADS at the same time.

Level 47

in reply to iivrruummii

Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong.

As far as gaming goes you want the gameplay to work. The last thing you would want is for a player that is jumping to have a large advantage.

Without playing the game it is impossible to know how the mechanics of such things play out.

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

in reply to FalconR6

I don't see how jumping and shooting is going to be advantageous.

With the jumping mechanics like Halo's, it will be interesting how they balance rockets, because I know that rocket launchers may be very good when jumping and shooting down because it is easier to hit a target when aiming down at them.  

Level 47

in reply to iivrruummii

iivrruummii wrote:

I don't see how jumping and shooting is going to be advantageous.

With the jumping mechanics like Halo's, it will be interesting how they balance rockets, because I know that rocket launchers may be very good when jumping and shooting down because it is easier to hit a target when aiming down at them. 

Which is why people are concerned about the BJ...

... if I wanted Halo gameplay... I can play Halo.

They need to make it very hard fire while... hard to the point it's a determent to try it.

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
Level 75

in reply to RAN Kismet

rankismet wrote:

They need to make it very hard fire while... hard to the point it's a determent to try it.

Why does everything need to be hard?

Level 47

in reply to iivrruummii

Thats what she said.

But really.. I do feel there should be a skill factor to it. Perhaps no aim assist when jumping?

I just think I'd like to see jumping have a real purpose in this game.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

Studios