Less, the same, or more perks?

Advanced Warfare General Discussion

Less, the same, or more perks?

Each year it seems that we get more and more options for perks. Some are pretty useless and are only useful every no and then for situations that aren't really that big of a deal. Some perks are always useful and tend to have huge impacts on how a player plays the game. Other perks are solely used to counter annoyances like Incog, Cold-Blooded, or Ghost.

Having less perks means each perk is more useful. You can pack enough of the meaningless perks together into one fairly valuable perk. Or you can balance all the perks out to same level of convenience. In the end, perks aren't going anywhere but how they're implemented will always change.

I particularly like the middle ground that allows a play to pick a playstyle that suits them. They're just useful enough to have value and make sacrifices but not so useful that you start to wonder if the game was decided solely based on perks.

Level 75
45 REPLIES

Re: Less, the same, or more perks?

in reply to Ghamorra

That's mainly because they took old perks and strips each into a shell of its former self such as scavenger and fully loaded that used to be scavenger pro.

I honestly think they should just go back to the 3 perk system. It seem to be the most balanced system overall, and not as easily abused like what we have now.

Level 6

in reply to Ghamorra

I like the simpler system better where the perks weren't so stripped down but I do like that Ghosts gave us a little more points to work with since they didn't charge for attachments.  So either beef up the perk abilities with less of them or keep them split out and add a few more points to the loadouts.  Also, we really should go back to the 10 class system.  Having a bazzillon perks and only six classes really doesn't allow you to fully explore what's out there unless you are willing to give up some known useful classes and take it on the chin if your experimental setup just doesn't work.

Level 69

in reply to phxs72

For me the 3 tier system was great because all the perks I wanted were powerful and available. Black Ops II took a lot away from me when they put all the stealth perks in the same category. Ghosts did something interesting and made all the perks available and allowed me to full embrace how I wanted each class to be. One class for running around, another for stealth, a third for sniping, and a fourth for when I want to take things seriously. I liked having full access to tap into each style of play.

However, as others have said, you're stripping away the power from some perks. Stealth now requires 3 different perks to choose from which really puts a strain on your point budget. It has it's good and bad.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

I am good with the traditional three tier system or the Ghosts system. I don't want to see another system like Black Ops 2, because it ended up being very unbalanced.

If I had to choose I'd keep it how it is with Ghosts because I find it opens the door for much more depth and play styles. I prefer the freedom.

Level 15

in reply to Ghamorra

Really liked your post.... sometimes less means more... What they did with Ghosts (for me) was like a slap on the face. They just take the previous perk and splited'em and added a very few new perks... So I really prefer the 3 Perks System.

Level 2

in reply to Ghamorra

I'd like to see more than what we have in Ghosts. Keep all the one's we have now and add 5-10 new one's. Pea brains complaining' about perks being split up, but I don't see the problem. You can still run the same setups in old cods, but you aren't forced into a pro version. It's also much more balanced because pro versions just gave people who didn't prestige the advantage. I would like an increase in total points we have to use so we have more options per character. Also, bring back One Man Army, but just remove its ability to resupply explosives.

Level 2

in reply to phalconpunch

Actually in Ghosts you get less than you did in the past CoDs. For example, in MW3 i liked to run Scavenger Pro,Assassin Pro, and Stalker Pro. On top of that i got to have a primary weapon,secondary weapon,lethal, and tactical. I dare you to attempt a recreation of that in Ghosts. Oh.. thats right, YOU CAN'T! In the past CoD's you traded speed for stealth and vise versa, or you could do a mix and match and get a mixed result.

We don't actually have more in Ghosts since about half of the perks are from past CoD's and were stripped down bare. Adding 5-10 new ones would end up just causing imbalance. Though considering you just mentioned One Man Army, i can tell you love imbalance, so the concept of a balanced game is lost on you i think.

Just think about this. Less perks=more balance, and more perks=less balance. This is where the saying "less is more" comes into play.

Answer me this. Do you want imbalance or balance? Choose.

Level 6

in reply to Ghamorra

I'd like to see things go back to something more simple.

Too much "garbage" in the game now.

Fix the net code and let's get back to gun on gun, that's what determines the out come of the match.

Please note that when I state "gun on gun", I'm not referring to "running and gunning" or "camping", any play style is fine by me, just get the net code corrected and let players go gun on gun.

I know, wishful thinking for some, but ya asked!

Level 4

in reply to Ghamorra

I personally like the variety option, the old ways (one perk many things) was over used and players cried OP. Now we each are given combinations to choose from giving, us all more balance and less reasons to cry OP. Ghost has improved that, I hope AW does so as well.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

Studios