Make Ranking Up More Meaningful

Advanced Warfare General Discussion

Re: Make Ranking Up More Meaningful

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

nicedrewishfela wrote:

This this this.

Folks, want to know the issue with allowing people to unlock anything anytime? Just look at Ghosts.

Bring back unlocking guns and unlocking their attachments. Made the game infinitely more interesting and replayable.. and helped maintain balance.

Exactly

Could you imagine MW3 being able to Unlock the ACR from the word go? I know you could use a prestige token to unlock it but I mean seriously that would be very over-the-top.

Overall I'd like to see a system where I have to rank up to unlock perks, weapons etc then have to complete challenges to unlock the attachments e.g. get 20 kills with the grande launcher to unlock the shotgun. Get 10 kills to unlock the red dot sight, get 40 kills looking through the red dot sight to unlock the holographic sight.

Overall I really dislike this new 'fad' where you use points or 'in game' currency to unlock stuff. I preferred the good old fashioned rank up and unlock process. Made the game more fun.

Activision Ambassador

in reply to Scotland-Rules

I liked the way BO2 did things. You have to rank up to unlock things and when you prestige you can choose something that is permanently unlocked.

It makes ranking up worth something and it makes prestiging worth something as well.

Level 30

in reply to biron_w

For all the complaints people have about what BO2 did wrong... they forget how much stuff Treyarch got right with that title.

The Create a Class was just about right, with a few tweaks it could be damn near perfect.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

I moaned about that game a lot. I've gone back to it now and it's not that bad. There are still a lot of annoying things: small maps, rubbish spawn system and no spawn protection for Scorestreaks(because it's no fun spawning and getting killed by a Lightning Stirke and then spawning again and getting killed by a Hellstorm Missile ) being the main problems.

I agree Treyarch did a few things wrong but I also agree that the Pick 10 System was a great idea. Same with Scorestreaks. That just needed a bit of Tweaking as well.

Level 30

in reply to biron_w

If they took the create a class from that game, added 3 more slots for scorestreaks(killstreaks) so that each class could have it's own streaks (which is so valuable to strategic players), I think it would be just about right. The wildcard system really made for balanced classes as well. Could even add a Wild Card allowing players to bypass score/killstreaks in favor of 2 additional slots.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
Highlighted

I would also like to say that I would like for most challenges to no reset.  The only challenges that reset are weapon challenges.

Level 47

Let's make ranking mean something again aka let's restore the system that rewards the hardcore players while pooping all over the casuals.

The ranking system you mention is only rewarding to those who play more often.  What happens to the people who have jobs, family, and other life duties to attend to?  While Mr. "IPlayTooMuchCOD" runs around with his perfect setup along with the rest of his team, I have to suffer through the first 20-50 ranks in order to fully acquire my favorite unlocks.  At least with squad points, it not only allowed me to unlock my preferred setup quicker, but it also granted me more freedom to use whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.

Idea:  Why not give players a choice in regards to how they want to rank up.  Let the choices appeal to both types of gamers.

• Squad Points - Casual ranking structure; Items are unlocked via squad points.
  • Classic - Persistent ranking structure.  Items are unlocked via ranking, challenges, and weapon usage.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Level 52

in reply to RuggedSavior

thebiindsniper wrote:

Let's make ranking mean something again aka let's restore the system that rewards the hardcore players while pooping all over the casuals.

The ranking system you mention is only rewarding to those who play more often.  What happens to the people who have jobs, family, and other life duties to attend to?  While Mr. "IPlayTooMuchCOD" runs around with his perfect setup along with the rest of his team, I have to suffer through the first 20-50 ranks in order to fully acquire my favorite unlocks.  At least with squad points, it not only allowed me to unlock my preferred setup quicker, but it also granted me more freedom to use whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.

Boo...hoo.

Level 47

in reply to RuggedSavior

You can't design a game with only one group of players in mind. I don't get to play often anyways, and I am all for a better leveling system.

The game needs  override the needs of individuals. Good players won't be hurt by this system, they will still be able to win regardless of their level.

But a true leveling system is needed to keep a game fresh, interesting, and challenging for all.

They didn't need to add more, random prestiges for people who raced through the game... and they don't need to dumb it down or simplify it for those of us who just don't have time to play.

This game needs to get back to a true leveling system. The Choice wouldn't work, as you know that players  would take the easy way out and choose to get things without effort, while dedicated players who grind it out will suffer. So the choice doesn't work or make sense. True leveling will make this series fun, replayable, and balanced again.

Activision Ambassador

If people want a game that lasts, speeding through all 10-20 prestige ranks doesn't help matters much.  Take the game slow.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Level 52

Studios