Make Ranking Up More Meaningful

Advanced Warfare General Discussion

Re: Make Ranking Up More Meaningful

in reply to RuggedSavior

thebiindsniper wrote:

If people want a game that lasts, speeding through all 10-20 prestige ranks doesn't help matters much.  Take the game slow.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

I don't get what you're suggesting by this either...

Activision Ambassador

in reply to RuggedSavior

MW2 lasted until September for me and I was modded to tenth in January.  I don't think prestiging makes a game last any longer.  Titanfall got extremely boring after 4 generations.

The only way a game can last is if it is fun to play.

Level 47
Highlighted

in reply to RuggedSavior

And the devs need to provide a game that offers challenges to slow that process down.

I barely play these days and have Prestiged 6 characters, without really working towards doing so.

That isn't a challenge.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to RuggedSavior

thebiindsniper wrote:

Let's make ranking mean something again aka let's restore the system that rewards the hardcore players while pooping all over the casuals.

The ranking system you mention is only rewarding to those who play more often.  What happens to the people who have jobs, family, and other life duties to attend to?  While Mr. "IPlayTooMuchCOD" runs around with his perfect setup along with the rest of his team, I have to suffer through the first 20-50 ranks in order to fully acquire my favorite unlocks.  At least with squad points, it not only allowed me to unlock my preferred setup quicker, but it also granted me more freedom to use whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.

Idea:  Why not give players a choice in regards to how they want to rank up.  Let the choices appeal to both types of gamers.

• Squad Points - Casual ranking structure; Items are unlocked via squad points.

• Classic - Persistent ranking structure.  Items are unlocked via ranking, challenges, and weapon usage.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

The system I suggested was basically MW2 ranking up system and people loved that game. I'm a student, I have work and then education so my time on Ghosts is limited but many people, including myself get bored of the game and therefore the system I'm suggesting makes the game more fun and lasts longer. I'm bored of Ghosts already because I see no reason to rank up. Because ranking up doesn't grant me anything. Okay,....it grants me a gold knife (P5) and then a gold PDW (P10) --> that doesn't exactly excite me.

Now if I had to rank up  to get my fav weapons and class items it would make me want to play more.

This system has been used for all games except Ghosts and it has worked well for everyone. Even those with limited time.

Activision Ambassador

in reply to Scotland-Rules

I know the ranking system offers incentive to play, but not everyone wants to be limited in their abilities in the first 30 or so ranks.  Some people are not easily bored, even when there are no challenges to unlock. 

As mentioned earlier, give people a choice of which ranking style they wish to pursue for each soldier.  Either the classic system, or the squad points system.  Everybody wins.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Level 52

in reply to RuggedSavior

The only thing that limits players is their ability. Unlocks only enhance ability, not replace it.

And you KNOW the choice would be abused.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to RuggedSavior

thebiindsniper wrote:

Everybody wins.

Nope.  Everyone would chose the easier option.

Weapons, perks, killstreaks, etc. should be unlocked through leveling up.  Better weapon at higher levels.  Attachments should be unlocked through getting kills and other challenges.

If someone doesn't want to prestige then they don't have to, and those that do have to sacrifice (nearly) everything. 

Level 47

in reply to iivrruummii

nicedrewishfela

I understand a player's ability is important, but I'm not exactly going to experience my full abilities in combat when my play style is severely gimped ie running into every IED without Sitrep, not being able to move fast while ADS'ing with ARs without Stalker, getting soundwhored due to a lack of Dead Silence, etc.  If the classic ranking system was forcefed to me, then that gimp will last a lot longer compared to the squad points system.  I would rather have more comfort over challenge when play a fun game like COD.

Iivrruummii

Well, that's their choice.  It's not about abusing "what's easier", it's about appealing to the preferences of the players.  Why should I be forced to rank up the classic way because "other people" like it?  I should have a preference in regards to what I prefer to unlock first.  If people really want to not have any control over their unlocks, then give them that choice as well.

If the people who chose the classic ranking system complain about others using the squad points system, then they are wrong by not accepting the responsibility and consequences of their choices.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Level 52

in reply to RuggedSavior

So you didn't enjoy COD4, WaW, or MW2? Had to unlock everything in that game... didn't "gimp" my enjoyment of those.

I just think, in this instance, your logic is flawed.

The needs of the many outweigh the few.

Activision Ambassador

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

I did enjoy previous games, don't get me wrong.  However, ever since 2007, I always asked, "Why can't I just unlock set weapons/perks/equipment/killstreaks the way I want?"

Why is my logic flawed?  Is it because I like to think about both sides of the coin and try to appease both the hardcore and casual players?  The logic of, "the needs of the many outweight the needs of the few" is also flawed.  A lot of people loved stopping power and OP killstreaks from MW2.  Since so many liked it, should we revert to that as well?  No.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Level 52

Studios