Make Ranking Up More Meaningful

Advanced Warfare General Discussion

Re: Make Ranking Up More Meaningful

in reply to Ghamorra

ghamorra wrote:

I can see that. But it's not like it will take forever to level up each class. If you want to unlock everything it might. However, if they keep the ammo crate you can gain access to a random weapon and you can always pick one up.

I don't think that there's as many super casuals who only prestige a couple times over the course of an entire series. I think there's a lot who reset themselves or have multiple accounts. I think there's a vast majority, possible >90% who prestige at least 5 times. Those who don't prestige shouldn't dictate how a game functions and punish the other 90%.

It's tough to make everyone happy and normally I favor the casual, but when it comes to leveling I think there needs to be a system that favors those who play a lot. Casuals will never fully realize the game, even with the current system in place, so why bother trying to please them?

The problem with this system is you're cutting away a huge amount of the game to people who can't play on a daily basis. The classic ranking up system allows the best of both worlds, this system you're suggesting only really benefits those who have days upon days to sink into the game and therefore it isn't accessible for people who don't have that amount of time. Now these people do prestige but it takes them a lot longer than those who play everyday.

You start making the game favour those who play more and more, you cut off a significant portion of new players. I think that's why BF series hasn't got as much of a fan base as CoD is because that game isn't accessible to those who are casual. CoD has and always is going to be a casual shooter at heart and that's why the devs have favoured this classic ranking system for so long is because it does offer the best of both worlds. 

Activision Ambassador

in reply to Scotland-Rules

As biron said below and as many of my clan members would tell you, Call of Duty loses interest once you hit max prestige. A couple months ago several members of my clan ran out of things to do. They hit max prestige and most of their guns are gold. Far more players "beat" Call of Duty and lose interest than players. I see no logic in limiting a game because of casuals who will never come close to unlocking all of the game. So why try?

They have to understand that this game isn't going to wait around for them. If they really want something out of the unlock system then they have to work for it and not have it handed to them.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

ghamorra wrote:

As biron said below and as many of my clan members would tell you, Call of Duty loses interest once you hit max prestige. A couple months ago several members of my clan ran out of things to do. They hit max prestige and most of their guns are gold. Far more players "beat" Call of Duty and lose interest than players. I see no logic in limiting a game because of casuals who will never come close to unlocking all of the game. So why try?

They have to understand that this game isn't going to wait around for them. If they really want something out of the unlock system then they have to work for it and not have it handed to them.

I think this is one of the topics we'll have to agree to disagree on.

However, I think by making a game that requires around 30 days total game time to reach Max prestige is automatically alienating a lot of the CoD population. I think your statistic of 90% of CoD players prestige 5 times is wrong, because from what I see there is a lot more players below 5th prestige than their is above it by looking at leaderboard stats and just in general.

I think, the need to have a system that works for both. For example I would have hit prestige 10 easily on Modern Warfare 3 because I was on prestige 7 when they announced that they were moving the number of prestiges up to 15 and then later 20 and I decided to stop because I knew it was unrealistic that I'd ever beat that game so I gave up and stayed at 7 and then when crap ops 2 came out I went back and prestiged further. However you get the picture. If someone feels that they will never have a hope in hell of beating the game they'll stop or they'll only do something once and to be fair giving someone that feeling isn't right. Personally the solution to players who do play 30+ days in game time is simply to allow them to start over if they wish or give them exclusive challenges or both. They could give a set of exclusive challenges in which they can complete while they redo the prestiges.

I think you'll find the players who end up with 30 days on the game will beat the game regardless of whatever system we put in but the casuals will have no hope in hell and its not a very good feeling from the start that you'll never be able to beat the game.

That's why a classic prestige system like we had in previous CoDs will work best because it caters to all players. Your system would be like saying 'right with advanced warfare we'll make the game total MLG style where we have ranked matchmaking so you're always challenged' many people who are casual players who don't want to be tryhards would feel alienated and under your system they would feel alienated.

Activision Ambassador

in reply to Ghamorra

You're basically describing how BO2 did levelling up and I think they had it spot on. Plus a bit of how BF4 makes gun unlocks work.

I've no problem with either system. I liked in BO2 that if I prestiged my guns would still be how I left with whatever attachments I had on them.

As for this casual arguement - I'd say I'm a casual player. I don't play COD all day every day. I have a job, I have friends, I like to play other games. But I'm quite happy with having to rank up to unlock things and I am also happy with having to use a weapon to unlock attachments and I'd have no problem with having to use guns in each class to unlock the next gun in that class. I like to think I'm working towards something when playing. This is exactly why I got bored of Ghosts so quickly.

Level 30
Highlighted

in reply to nfused

nfused wrote:

I like the idea of going back to ranking up to unlock guns, attachments etc.

Ghosts is so flawed in this way. You can be almost brand new to the game and go and unlock an M27 and thermal scope to make your camping easy immediately.

You should be rewarded for putting in time.

Lets be honest, in Ghosts all you needed was to build up your squad points at the beginning and then your sorted for all prestiges..hell they could have at least made it once you prestige you went back to 0 squad points, but no, you could immediately use your points to unlock everything you need to start again.

Yesterday, i found my self so bored of Ghosts, I went back to MW3 and decided to do a full reset and start from the beginning again, i forgot how hard it is having to level and using guns your not use to etc, but it also made me want to level up to get to that ACR and even get to that MP7 at level 74!

And also having the prestige award for being able to do 1 permanent unlock it makes you think carefully, knowing once you prestige you have to start from scratch, what 1 weapon do I want this time, do I want the gun I love but is unlocked about half way through, or do I want that one gun i enjoy using but is one the final unlocks...#firstworldproblems hahaha

Thanks for your input.

You've summed up exactly how I feel.

Activision Ambassador

in reply to Scotland-Rules

I hope the ranking up is the same as mw3 with some differences. You maintain weapon ranks/camos when you prestige. 30 prestiges. Camos on secondaries.

Level 1

in reply to danocraig94

danocraig94 wrote:

I hope the ranking up is the same as mw3 with some differences. You maintain weapon ranks/camos when you prestige. 30 prestiges. Camos on secondaries.

30 prestiges, you're joking right?

Activision Ambassador

Studios