New hard drive and gaming router. No more WTF moments :)

Advanced Warfare General Discussion

I bought a new 2 tb hard drive for my ps4. http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-SpinPoint-ST2000LM003-Notebook/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

when taking out the old one i noticed the cache size on the old drive is 8MB

while the new drive is 64MB.

next i put my cable modem into bridge mode and bought a new

Ac gaming router Amazon.com: NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R8000): Computers & Accessories

Now heres the kicker. all the WTF moments in COD have gone away. (of course theres a few but they are believable now)

i dont think it was the router as much as the hard drive.

this is my theory why:

the PS4 constantly records during gameplay (unnown to most of us)

when you activate to record a game it only marks that as a start point but it records behind the scenes regardless

you'll notice during game if you hit the share button it will have an option to save clip? even though you were NOT recording.

kinda like a dvr.

well with the stock drive being a 8 MB cache size it must be hell on the system to record 1080p while playing the game.

as soon as i installed the new hard drive and reinstalled the software and my games. i played COD and i just cant believe it.

hardly any WTF moments at all. straight boss mode.

the router may or may not have an effect. im hard wired and always was so i dont really see any difference there. but

the hard drive definitely did something.

besides that the ps4 system is so much faster and responsive. the games load way faster, no more waiting for the keyboard to pop up,(its instant now).

and best of all that dumb spinning circle waiting for the party list to load, or messages to send...YUP ALL GONE

just thought id share

we all know things are as good as their weakest link.

this stock hard drive is one of them.

Robaboa1
157 REPLIES 157

Do you like the netgear?  I debated between an Asus and Netgear when I wanted to replace a router and decided on ASUS, although the nether was rated higher (AC68u vs R7000).

I went with the ASUS because I liked the firmware interface, and Merlin supports it (which is basically tweaked and fixed ASUS-WRT fw).

I was told that the R7000 was a better piece of hardware, but to make it shine it would need to flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato. I did not wish to buy a router that inferior stock fw, but to be rated so high, it could not be so bad...

Hmm.. maybe this is off topic to your post... my bad

RLBL

rlbl wrote:

Do you like the netgear?  I debated between an Asus and Netgear when I wanted to replace a router and decided on ASUS, although the nether was rated higher (AC68u vs R7000).

I went with the ASUS because I liked the firmware interface, and Merlin supports it (which is basically tweaked and fixed ASUS-WRT fw).

I was told that the R7000 was a better piece of hardware, but to make it shine it would need to flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato. I did not wish to buy a router that inferior stock fw, but to be rated so high, it could not be so bad...

Hmm.. maybe this is off topic to your post... my bad

nighthawks are a great WIFI router  actually don't think there's a better WIFI router on the market right now ( really don't understand why they added "gaming" to it past trying to make it appeal to gamers" the power of that nadeshot endorsement eh )

what lets the nighthawk down is the software as you said, its ancient i dont think netgear have updated their core software in like 10 years  netgear seemed to have this new business strategy nowdays as do the other big router companies of adding a ton of tech specs to make their new router seem better as it resonants with the pc gamer/console gamer who see better tech specs= better product.  also if you can make your router look like a dead spider +10 points to gryffindor

as you know when it comes to routers all that extra processing power is needed for the wifi stuff like beamforming which is why the nighthawks excel in that area.. the irony of a router built for great wifi advertises itself as a gaming router though does confuse me.

i would agree with you though given the choice of a nighthawk or asus i would've chosen the asus for exactly the same reasons

Maccabi Level 75

But wait wait wait.....its "the game" ... you've been going on and on for MONTHS about how its not possibly on your end and how the game is "broken" and how we have no idea what we're talking about. And how its "lag comp" and "rewind time" and then "sbmm" and every other tinfoil hat theory .

So now that we've went thru all this, a simple "sorry, I was wrong" would prolly going a long way.

Glad you figured it out.

gotsomestars Level 75

gotsomestars wrote:

But wait wait wait.....its "the game" ... you've been going on and on for MONTHS about how its not possibly on your end and how the game is "broken" and how we have no idea what we're talking about. And how its "lag comp" and "rewind time" and then "sbmm" and every other tinfoil hat theory .

So now that we've went thru all this, a simple "sorry, I was wrong" would prolly going a long way.

Glad you figured it out.

Adding a better harddrive to a ps4 is a no brainer nowadays so many people have positive expereinces since doing that

Maccabi Level 75

Aye. I personally haven't done it ( I haven't had a reason to yet).  Hopefully won't need to for a while. But I really am glad robo figured it out. I was starting to go a bit crazy.

gotsomestars Level 75

it really really made a world of difference. you'd have to experience it to actually believe it.

thanks gotsomestars my forum brother (brother fight its no big deal)

Robaboa1

Rock on. I'm glad you can finally enjoy it. And if its any consolation, I think that sooner or later I'll have to buy a new HD too. So in a way, I have the same problem, it just haven surfaced yet. Have fun! Psn is still down for me. This was the only full day I had to play. Damn that lizard squad.

gotsomestars Level 75

Good to see all working out for you now.

Just curious what about xbox one users can we do something like this to improve?

Bulletcasster75

BanHammer told me that as soon as the ps4 arrived, a SSD was going into it. I did not think I would need one but I am more and more buying games digitally

RLBL

Studios