New hard drive and gaming router. No more WTF moments :)

Advanced Warfare General Discussion

Questions regarding this for anyone.

1.  Is bridge mode for wireless wi-fi only?  From what I see wired does not need bridge mode.  I'm on wired.

2.  I hope the fix is not a new hard drive and the PS4 hardware is the issue.  Is there a way to turn off capture to make the most out of the available cache?

3.  I have an open Nat, port forwarded wired connection.  Linksys e3000 router.  Lag is lobby to lobby, worse when I hear foriegn languages, so I would not have thought it to be hardware either.  Do I really need to sink hundreds into new hardware?

4.  I've heard some routers have geo limiting abilities.  Does the nighthawk have this and is giving you a better connection by limiting host distance?

ChiliDog304

Hate to do this, but instead of starting new thread...trying to bump up for some forum assistance.

ChiliDog304

Dforums wrote:

Questions regarding this for anyone.

1.  Is bridge mode for wireless wi-fi only?  From what I see wired does not need bridge mode.  I'm on wired.

- RLBL: He put the cable modem into bridge mode because he did not wish to use the routing capabilities of the ISPs hardware. The cable modem/router combos are inferior routers so putting into bridge mode allows one to use it as a modem only and leave the routing to a more capable device .

2.  I hope the fix is not a new hard drive and the PS4 hardware is the issue.  Is there a way to turn off capture to make the most out of the available cache?

- RLBL: I am concerned as to why other games play fine (within acceptable tolerance).  for more see next answer.

3.  I have an open Nat, port forwarded wired connection.  Linksys e3000 router.  Lag is lobby to lobby, worse when I hear foriegn languages, so I would not have thought it to be hardware either.  Do I really need to sink hundreds into new hardware?

- RLBL: that is a very good question. One has to decide if playing a game is worth investing more coin into hardware to possibly have a better experience playing said game. There are no guarantees because other factors will have an impact on your playability (location, concentration of players). since MW2 my ISP has stopped throttling P2P packets; I have up scaled my internet package, changed routers , configured CoS/QoS to the point where I have bandwidth always available for gaming... And I still have issues playing some games (well, one game series...)

4.  I've heard some routers have geo limiting abilities.  Does the nighthawk have this and is giving you a better connection by limiting host distance?

- RLBL: no IT does not. I have no researched it at all, but as far as I know only the Netduma R1 does...

MY opinions are my own, and are up for debate

RLBL

Thanks.  I thought I had read that if you are wired most routers are basically equivalent if you are port fowarded and have an open Nat and everyone else is offline in the house.  Wireless is completely different ballgame though.  My wired internet is 50 Mbps, but know location is key too.  I am only a couple hours from Columbus, OH and Pittsburgh so close to a few larger cities but not in one. 

This game infuriates me at times, lol.  I had very few issues with Ghosts until populations dropped and expansions hit, but it still was not this bad for me overall even in July.

ChiliDog304

PPossibly from a simple connection point of view, however most router/modems combos sure feature poor. If one is not making use of more adanced features then stick with it

RLBL

I have a Motorola modem and a linksys e3000 router.

ChiliDog304

Robaboa wrote:

I bought a new 2 tb hard drive for my ps4. http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-SpinPoint-ST2000LM003-Notebook/dp/B00I8O6 OQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

when taking out the old one i noticed the cache size on the old drive is 8MB

while the new drive is 64MB.

next i put my cable modem into bridge mode and bought a new

Ac gaming router Amazon.com: NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R8000): Computers & Accessories

Now heres the kicker. all the WTF moments in COD have gone away. (of course theres a few but they are believable now)

i dont think it was the router as much as the hard drive.

this is my theory why:

the PS4 constantly records during gameplay (unnown to most of us)

when you activate to record a game it only marks that as a start point but it records behind the scenes regardless

you'll notice during game if you hit the share button it will have an option to save clip? even though you were NOT recording.

kinda like a dvr.

well with the stock drive being a 8 MB cache size it must be hell on the system to record 1080p while playing the game.

as soon as i installed the new hard drive and reinstalled the software and my games. i played COD and i just cant believe it.

hardly any WTF moments at all. straight boss mode.

the router may or may not have an effect. im hard wired and always was so i dont really see any difference there. but

the hard drive definitely did something.

besides that the ps4 system is so much faster and responsive. the games load way faster, no more waiting for the keyboard to pop up,(its instant now).

and best of all that dumb spinning circle waiting for the party list to load, or messages to send...YUP ALL GONE

just thought id share

we all know things are as good as their weakest link.

this stock hard drive is one of them.

Nice on the R8000, I returned my R8000 after 2 weeks, I found the connections inconsistent compared to the R7000. I'm back on the R7000 and for me at least it performs better. I'm glad you're enjoying the R8000.

PUR4IDO

bridge mode is just what you place your main modem in.

then you only plug in the new router to one of the ports of the bridged mode modem.

(NOTE) in bridge mode it will only give one ip so only connect your new router (note: it will automatically turn off wifi on the main modem when you place it in bridge mode)

on your new router you'll see a port that says internet it usually a different color thats the port you plug the main modem into.

then access your new routers interface per user manual  and set it up to your liking

i would hard wire your ps4 to the new router and find your ps4's ip then go into

firewall or security setting in your new router and put the ps4's IP in DMZ mode (if that is available)

or open the specific ports for it (videos how to on you tube)

Robaboa1

Robaboa wrote:

bridge mode is just what you place your main modem in.

then you only plug in the new router to one of the ports of the bridged mode modem.

(NOTE) in bridge mode it will only give one ip so only connect your new router (note: it will automatically turn off wifi on the main modem when you place it in bridge mode)

on your new router you'll see a port that says internet it usually a different color thats the port you plug the main modem into.

then access your new routers interface per user manual  and set it up to your liking

i would hard wire your ps4 to the new router and find your ps4's ip then go into

firewall or security setting in your new router and put the ps4's IP in DMZ mode (if that is available)

or open the specific ports for it (videos how to on you tube)

BTW, so very happy that atlast you have found the issue (Will say tho, could have found it sooner if you hadnt resisted us)

deamonomic

As everyone else has said ... congratulations on erasing the WTF moments. Like I said the other day, all us forum vets who "go through the same old responses" to issues like yours do so ... because just about all of us have been where you were.

In fact, I'm dealing with it myself right now. Even though I have already dealt with it in the past and know the likely sources of my issues. Problem right now I have is a wallet problem.

Anyway, glad to hear you got it figured out.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
nuttin2say

Studios