New hard drive and gaming router. No more WTF moments :)

Advanced Warfare General Discussion

on a related note interesting read here on changing the hd in a ps4

The PlayStation 4 hard drive upgrade guide • Eurogamer.net

Maccabi Level 75

maccabi wrote:

great article.

i thought this portion was quite informative

Can a hard drive upgrade boost game performance?

While the PS4 has up to 5GB of RAM available for use in games, filling that space up isn't easy - users could be faced with extremely long loading times, and having all the assets in RAM for a particular level/stage limits the potential to have more varied details on screen. In order to get around these issues, many games utilise the PS4's hard drive as a cache, streaming graphics data into RAM when needed. Trials Fusion is one such title and uses a similar system to the one used in id Software's Rage, where textures are quickly transferred into memory from the console's hard drive in small chunks - a process known as virtual texturing. This allows for a wider range of artwork to be displayed on screen and less instances of texture repetition across the environment. The downside is that transitions between texture mip-maps (different quality assets) are noticeable during gameplay as the PS4's HDD struggles to keep up.

Robaboa1

maccabi wrote:

Excellent information.  I found the following quote interesting...

Performance also remains unchanged in all of the games we tried, with no clear measurable increases in frame-rate or reductions in tearing and judder at times when it appears that streaming could be one of the main causes.

The article showed clear advantages for upgrading HDs.  But performance wasn't one of them. 

Immerse me.
Yppecaye_the_Dogged

just checking back to say since the change (see OP) still no more WTF moments gameplay is awesome and the system is now so fast,

UPGRADE YOUR HARD DRIVE!!!!!

you wont regret it

Robaboa1

Robaboa wrote:

just checking back to say since the change (see OP) still no more WTF moments gameplay is awesome and the system is now so fast,

you wont regret it

What were your stats before?

What router did you have?

PUR4IDO

PUR4IDO wrote:

Robaboa wrote:

you wont regret it

What were your stats before?

What router did you have?

i had a ubee cable modem docis 3.0

i dont think the modem or new router really did the trick

BUT the hard drive just changed the whole ps4 experience. all games are more fluid. the system is so much more responsive. you can visually tell and you can see how fast everything loads up.

with the stock hard drive , its kinda like having a class 2 micro sd card (2 MB/sec) trying to record in 1080P on your smart phone.

it works but barely. instead of a class 10 that would work flawlessly.

COD now just plays great. every game so far ive had minimal WTF moments. all of them BELIEVABLE. where before the upgrade the WTF moments were constant and unbelievable.

I would recommend the hard drive upgrade. the one i listed in the op is the best bang for your buck 2 TB and works flawlessly.

if you need help installing a new hard drive id be glad to walk you through it.

its quite simple but there are one or 2 things that are a must. let me know

Robaboa1

Robaboa wrote:

you wont regret it

I've read though that upgrading is really only beneficial if you're mostly playing digital games. When it comes to disc versions the improved performance is minimal at best.

Bleak5170

Great to hear!! Did you try any game play with just the hard drive upgrade? I'm baffled how a game designed for PS4 requires a new hard drive and modem to function properly. It should run as well as you describe with standard router and HD. I can't go tampering with our router so HD replacement is my most viable option. I'm browsing on Amazon as I type this

Stop triple capping in Dom you clowns
Silz616

So you are telling me the brand new hard drive in the brand new system can't keep up with the brand new software?  I guess I'll be waiting for the next version of ps4 to come out.

Mtausch11

Poorly designed software again. Typical, engineers build software on clean systems with ten times the power of what they are programming it for, and then say it's your problem. 30 years @ I.B.M. taught me that.

And yes, upgrading the HD and having high quality routers will help with all your gaming experience, but nobody should need to.

Juanfartez

Studios