New hard drive and gaming router. No more WTF moments :)

Advanced Warfare General Discussion

Robaboa wrote:

i dont think it was the router as much as the hard drive.

this is my theory why:

[....]

the router may or may not have an effect. im hard wired and always was so i dont really see any difference there. but

the hard drive definitely did something.

I wonder if it's because you can load everything faster than stock PS4's that you are being selected as the host?

I'm not trying to take away from your skill, but if it is the hard drive itself, this may be why you are finally "killing it" because even you admit it may not be the router.

Is there any way you could play with your old router (with new hard drive) to rule out the router?

JCONNOR

JCONNOR wrote:

Robaboa wrote:

i dont think it was the router as much as the hard drive.

this is my theory why:

[....]

the router may or may not have an effect. im hard wired and always was so i dont really see any difference there. but

the hard drive definitely did something.

I wonder if it's because you can load everything faster than stock PS4's that you are being selected as the host?

I'm not trying to take away from your skill, but if it is the hard drive itself, this may be why you are finally "killing it" because even you admit it may not be the router.

Is there any way you could play with your old router (with new hard drive) to rule out the router?

i really dont think its the router. my basic internet connection results are pretty much the same. i didnt turn on QOS on the new router because while it may lock a certain amount of bandwidth to a specific device it also will limit that device to the bandwidth you set.

the hard drive really made the difference. i win fights im not supposed to win all the time now. lol

plus i have all my content on my ps4 with 1.5 TB left to spare.

i'll also note I have a great game experience on AW even in parties that one guy is in UK, one is in California, and im on the east coast of US. it just doesn't matter all games are good like (i know some of you may or may not agree) BOPS 2 is.

Robaboa1

I wonder what would happen if you put a SSD into the PS4?

Talk about instantaneous load times!

The issue I have with current SSDs is 500GBs are about $500 (almost $1:1 GB). We're still at the phase when (new) hardware isn't cost effective yet considering the return. Give it a three, four years and 1TB SSDs will probably be around the $100 range... If that?

JCONNOR

the SSDs and SSHD both have been tested on ps4 and they both have similar results.  the ssd being the best but you cant even find a 2 tb ssd or sshd .

best bang for the buck is in the op. its like 8 times faster read/write speed and the PS4 is a smooth machine now. no more choppy bullcrap and quick as ever.

i have a PC gaming rig and i know the Hard Drive upgrade i did last year made a huge difference in gaming and overall system responsiveness.

some games just load everything into the ram and only refer to the drive or disc to resolve errors

BUT some games access the drive constantly like assasins creed.

to access the hard drive for game info, while it is recording in the background like a dvr, and the drive only has a 8MB cache is a recipe for shitty game play.

the hard drive changed everything for the better WAY better

Robaboa1

I still find it depressing that the way to fix a game on a console was a hardware upgrade to the console.  This is one reason people play on consoles, so they don't have to keep upgrading and the console is just a year old.  I also didn't see this as a PS4 issue only.  *sigh*

ChiliDog304

well guys you have to admit 500gb (stock drive) isnt big enough anyway.

with all the free games and the disc game data install, and recordings you have to delete a game to put a new one on anyway, because it gets full so fast.

at least sony gave us the option to change the hard drive.

Xbone you cant even put in a bigger HDD until microsoft makes one,  and it HAS TO BE MICROSOFT. no exceptions.

plus the graphics on the xbone are like 40% LESS powerful then the PS4

its a no brainer.

again i have no more issues with COD gameplay, what so ever. no more struggle and hoping my gun will kill. its almost like i 2 shot everyone now.

feeling sorry for the opponents sometimes.

good luck

Robaboa1

40% less? WoW what a beating!!!

CoD Top 10 in the World Playa
MakoShark222

I appreciate the effort Robaboa has gone into reporting his findings, but... There is still no conclusive evidence it is the hard drive upgrade alone. It could be the router, or both.

If somebody else who is having problems with the game could try this... upgrading to a 2.5" HDD with 32 or 64MB cache... Without getting a new router and it improves their game, then we may be onto something. Until then there are too many variables, IMHO to make any real conclusions.

I am glad it is working for Robaboa, but again, one person is not a sign this is "the" cure all for this (or any games) woes.

JCONNOR

No problems at all here on original HD and older router. Game runs smooth as silk!

CoD Top 10 in the World Playa
MakoShark222

JCONNOR wrote:

I appreciate the effort Robaboa has gone into reporting his findings, but... There is still no conclusive evidence it is the hard drive upgrade alone. It could be the router, or both.

If somebody else who is having problems with the game could try this... upgrading to a 2.5" HDD with 32 or 64MB cache... Without getting a new router and it improves their game, then we may be onto something. Until then there are too many variables, IMHO to make any real conclusions.

I am glad it is working for Robaboa, but again, one person is not a sign this is "the" cure all for this (or any games) woes.

Even though theres documented examples all over the net of the improvements changing the hd makes to a ps4 ..okay then

Maccabi Level 75

Studios