Sledgehammer needs to be open to Perk rebalancing

Advanced Warfare General Discussion

Sledgehammer needs to be open to Perk rebalancing

One of the drawbacks with closed BETAs is that you only get an incredibly small sampling of what players tendencies are. A major oversight over the last few years is the lack of attention Perks get when rebalancing the game after it's release. In Ghosts particularly we have a few oversights with perks and this could be for any number of reasons. Be it a perk that's needed because of an overuse of something like Incog costing 3 points and no less than half the players in a lobby using Thermal or Trackers, or be it a generally useless perk like Off-the-Grid which costs 3 points and is really not worth much of anything because of lack of SatCom use, or a perk is too useful and costs too little like Danger Close which costs 3 but should be treated like Deadeye and cost 5.

Black Ops II had a few perks that were also pointless. The combining of perks, reduction in costs (if they stick to the point system), or the re-arranging of their location. The only perk I'm ever aware of being modified after release was Amplify. Perks are more important than most players realize. Everyone uses perks and some perks are staples among playstyles. Perks are also perks, they shouldn't feel needed which in some cases you feel as if you have to use it. Flak Jacket in Black Ops II, Incog in Ghosts, Assassin in MW3. These perks weren't used so much because a player liked using it, it was used so much because players can't play the game without it. Explosive spam in Black Ops II, everyone using Thermal and Tracker in Ghosts, and the non-stop spam of UAVs in MW3 thanks to the new Hardline.

Perks should be balanced so you can still use the perks you want concurrently with the perks you need

Level 75
26 REPLIES

Re: Sledgehammer needs to be open to Perk rebalancing

in reply to Ghamorra

they should have something that allows us to choose any perks, and when they are combined with certain loadouts, tacticals produce a smaller improvement in usage, aiming, timing, speed, etc.

So adding perks together gives a desired effect in terms of overall character movement, speed, agility, resilience, etc.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

I get your point to a point. There are perks an attachments which will always be used more than others....

... but...

... too often, this community's first reaction is it's the games fault versus their inability to adapt the game at hand. Essentially... people have wanted every game to play like COD4 after COD4.

Adapt to the map at hand.

Adapt to what your enemy is doing.

People focus on showing up whitehot on a sight versus why they allowed themselves to even be in the sight.

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

I don't know if it is perk re-balancing or making sure the game is balanced so that you don't NEED to use certain perks.

Perks should be just that.. a Perk. It shouldn't be practically mandatory to use, but something that enhances your abilities and your game.

You make it so that attachments cost just like Perks, you balance things out.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

About 99% of perk balancing is just this. Being able to play a match without thinking to yourself, "How much of an impact would Incog have made?" If the answer to that is something along the lines of "a lot" then we need to take a look at the perk balancing. I understand what rankismet means by "adapt" and "too often, this community's first reaction is it's the games fault versus their inability to adapt the game at hand. "

It's a tough job balancing the game out but I do not want another Ghosts/Black Ops II where every class I need Incog/Cold Blooded. I don't want a situation where I need a anit-radar perk because of all the spam. We need to get away from building our classes solely to counter parts of the game.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

I think that was a huge downfall in Ghosts.

Ironically, I felt like there were no Overpowered classes in BO2. In fact, I could run around quite well without any perks or attachments at all, and Diamond Camo gave me a reason to do so.

Sure, in Ghosts I could play without Incog or SitRep or other perks, but the difference is notable. rankismet has a good point, but you can't always stay out of the crosshairs when you glow through obstacles. To make the game playable and enjoyable it is better to run those perks, and while it might just be me, I feel like I have to run them. There is no penalty to Thermal Site users, whereas Incog users get punished 3 points. That..isn't..balance.

Everything you equip should cost, Black Ops 2, I feel... got it the closest so far. Perk Tiers, Wildcards, attachments costing points, the ability to equip only a secondary(and earn camos for that secondary making it worthwhile). The only thing I would have liked to have seen added to the Create a Class system was Three points for Scorestreaks for each class, or the ability to use a wildcard to forgo streaks in favor of 2 additional slots.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

I could do well without perks, and though I haven't tried it enough to give an honest answer, I have done well without perks in Ghosts. But as you said, it's a whole new world when you're exposed as much as you are. I've held back my comments on IEDs and have defended them from the perspective of someone who's used them and watched players walk away unharmed. That being said it doesn't mean that IEDs aren't everywhere. I don't run SitRep so I can't say just how much of a difference it makes, but I do know how many times I've come across an IED and it's a lot so I can easily see why players feel they have to use it.

Perks should be bonus and mostly used out of preference.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

You're not going to do very well w/o perks, because you will be at a disadvantage against capable players. If you get into a lobbies of morons, sure but in a lobby against your peers no.

Level 19

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I think that was a huge downfall in Ghosts.

Ironically, I felt like there were no Overpowered classes in BO2. In fact, I could run around quite well without any perks or attachments at all, and Diamond Camo gave me a reason to do so.

Sure, in Ghosts I could play without Incog or SitRep or other perks, but the difference is notable. rankismet has a good point, but you can't always stay out of the crosshairs when you glow through obstacles. To make the game playable and enjoyable it is better to run those perks, and while it might just be me, I feel like I have to run them. There is no penalty to Thermal Site users, whereas Incog users get punished 3 points. That..isn't..balance.

Everything you equip should cost, Black Ops 2, I feel... got it the closest so far. Perk Tiers, Wildcards, attachments costing points, the ability to equip only a secondary(and earn camos for that secondary making it worthwhile). The only thing I would have liked to have seen added to the Create a Class system was Three points for Scorestreaks for each class, or the ability to use a wildcard to forgo streaks in favor of 2 additional slots.

That's because in blops 2, you could take bullets, not die take cover and out skill the person who was shooting at you. In Ghosts, once they start shooting at you/connecting, you're dead.

Level 19

in reply to PUR4IDO

It is not skill to absorb 5 bullets (enough to kill you with any weapon) , then turn and shoot back. That is not skill, that is the guy who was shooting you getting screwed by the worst hit detection in fps history.

Activision Ambassador

Studios