Seriously doubt its worth getting

Advanced Warfare Xbox 360

Seriously doubt its worth getting

I know i posted this in a thread but i feel as though this community needs to start thinking for once.

I seriously dont think it is worth getting. I have not played COD in a few months because of the recycled material that has come about with this series now.

Let me break down why I think this game is not worth it.

We now have 3 developers making COD; IW, Treyarch and Sledgehammer. IW is in charge of making the modern/futuristic warfare games. Treyarch is in charge of making games that are NOT modern/futuristic. And now Sledgehammer is in charge of making whatever it is they are making.

I have 2 problems with this Advanced Warfare game. This first problem being that with just the trailer alone, it looks too much like Titanfall. You see soldiers hoping around with jetpack like uniforms and using weapons that are too futuristic.

The second problem I have is, why is Sledgehammer allowed to make this game that far into the future? Doesnt anyone remember the whole lawsuit that IW hit Treyarch with when Treyarch tried to make their game take place in 2024? IW claimed they solely owned the rights to make CODs based in the future. Yet Sledgehammer is getting a free pass to do that? Something doesnt sound right here. Why prevent Treyarch from making games in the future but allow Sledgehammer to get away with it. I dont care if Sledgehammer helped IW make Ghosts (abomination that was), they are now their own separate entity when it comes to making COD so they should not be allowed to make that kind of game in terms of legal standing.

These games are starting to get too futuristic. Pretty soon we are going to have a COD version of Halo with the way things are playing out. They can only milk the series for so long before not only do things get repetitive and recycled (looking at you MW3 and Ghosts), but also when the games start looking like a different game franchise like Halo and Titanfall.

I honestly do NOT expect this game to do well. I understand that millions of people will buy the game to start but the problem there is that they are only buying it because its "Call of Duty". They are only buying it because of the name. Then they will run into the same boring recycled issues they have had in the past 3 years and then the forum will inevitably light up with people complaining how this new COD is the "worst COD to date" (and dont act like they wont because everyone here knows this happens every year with every COD) and its not going to change.

In all, I really dont think this game is worth getting at all. They are only trying to compete with Titanfall since Respawn is a rival due to who the president and ceo are (west and zampella, the ones Activision fired). Not only that but there is only so much you can milk out of a series before even your fan base says "you had a good run but that run should have ended 5 years ago, enough is enough, you are just embarrassing yourself now."

COD should have quit while they were at the top. But they didnt. Now they are releasing nothing but crap and the same issues they refuse to address.

Level 37
22 REPLIES

Re: Seriously doubt its worth getting

in reply to KT Phoenix

Sounds like you are just done with the series.  You've argued that if they don't change it becomes repetitive and if they do change then its no longer COD.  That really doesn't leave them any options for what to do next.  Either way they go you will be disappointed.  That's a sure sign of someone that is just done with the series.  I'm not knocking you for it.  We all move on at some point in time.  Hopefully you can find something else that brings back that spark that you used to get from COD.  Good luck to you my friend.

Level 69

in reply to phxs72

You misinterpreted what i was saying.

What i am trying to say is that there is no originality anymore with COD. And the more they try to put things "futuristically" the less it feels like COD.

Look at MW2 on up. MW2 was original because of the whole killstreak system. BO 2 was original with their pick 10 system. But the games after that only repeated what these games did and there was nothing more. There has been no originality with COD since BO. Everything after BO has been pretty much a copy and paste of the previous titles with the only changes being maps, weapons (barely) and perks (barely except ghosts).

It is not hard to see the repetitive and stale nature of the COD franchise. What is worse, the developers dont even act like they are interested in the problems these games have been having. Its like they only fix a certain number of things to meet their quota of "looking like they are doing something" just so people thinking they care but after the first few patches and updates, the devs are nowhere to be found anymore.

What I am saying to have the originality without losing what COD really is. It is a military FPS game but if these companies keep making these game futuristic, then we will have a COD version of Halo.

Level 37

in reply to KT Phoenix

COD was never original.  Nothing hardly is anymore.  COD was released after MOH.  COD4 was basically just like Socom and Rainbow Six.  Nothing ever has been original.  The only thing original is how they present it.  AW is completely different game than Halo and Titanfall, based off of how they present it, even though the game has some of the same characteristics as other games, what make it COD, is how it feels.

Either way if you don't like how the game is with the boost jump and other things, there is most likely going to be a bare bones type gamemode.

You know what is funny, Halo Reach was an attempt to become more like COD, and it slowly started going downhill.  Now COD is becoming more like Halo, but the outcome will be either hit or miss.  I am buying it no matter what because it is COD, the same reason why I buy Forza, Halo, etc.  I enjoyed the previous games, so might as well try the next.

AW is refreshing just like COD4 was.  I have high hopes for this game's multiplayer and hope that it can last me a good 1-3 months after I am done with Halo 2A/5's beta, ACU's Coop, and Destiny. 

Level 47

in reply to iivrruummii

Halo Reach tried copying COD?  Only played one match on it but it doesn't surprise me.  People like it for what it is.  Gears of War Judgment was criticised for the same and that flunked big time.  You initially couldn't use a rifle and a shotgun in combat, which is the silly restriction COD tries (admittedly Overkill overrides this but at a significant cost).

Level 31

in reply to KT Phoenix

There are only so many ideas shooters can do.  If originality is such a big deal then why not highlight the game modes that COD borrows from others?  Let's see:

Kill Confirmed is Greed from Unreal Tournament/Thief from Timesplitters

Search and Destroy, Demolition and Gun Game are from Counter Strike

Domination is from Unreal Tournament

War is Control Point from Half Life

Headquarters is Onslaught from Unreal Tournament

King of the Hill is from Unreal Tournament/Gears of War (at least with Gears it is the same developer mostly)

Other shooters do the same too:

Battlefield has Domination and incorporated the killcam feature in BF3/4 (forget which but it was not in BC2 it seems)

Halo's Grifball is Unreal Tournament's Bombing Run

Double jumping in Destiny is in Unreal Tournament

Crysis copied the tag collecting feature from Greed/Thief as above

Oh and the perk system COD invented is just burrowing from RPG games.  The killstreaks, in their current form, appear to be original.  However, Black Ops 2 has titles showing off killing sprees, which were the killstreaks in Unreal Tournament.  I have the Mega Killer title in Black Ops 2 and, like its namesake in Unreal Tournament, they show off a multiple kill in quick succession.  The only difference is the kill requirement and the time limit, the idea is the same.

Level 31

in reply to SitRepPro

It's not the ideas, its the execution of those ideas.

COD4 wasn't completely original, but it did the  FPS Military Arcade Shooter genre better than anyone ever had.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

I dare say that the execution of these ideas is what will either make AW great or banish it to the graveyard of titles that burned bright and left quickly.

Level 69

in reply to phxs72

Execution of ideas.  And choice of ideas as well. 

Level 40

in reply to SitRepPro

SitRepPro wrote:

There are only so many ideas shooters can do.  If originality is such a big deal then why not highlight the game modes that COD borrows from others?

Nothing wrong with borrowing ideas so long as it enhances what CoD, for me and lots of others, including the OP, is meant to be.  You start borrowing things that changes the basic core of your game, like boost jump, then you've gone too far. 

Level 40

Studios