Lag and Camping: Correlation or Excuse?

SOLVED

Black Ops 3 General Discussion

Lag and Camping: Correlation or Excuse?

COD,

I enjoy this game (allot) its fun, entertaining, difficult, chaotic and better than previous titles. I want everyone who reads this to understand that.

Now, the more I read and debate with those who feel differently two words are always thrown into the same sentence: Lag and camping.

Is it coincidence that the players who do not like the game, complain about lag and camping at the same time? I mean its curious, almost every response you read or get its, I hate it because of lag or camping.

This is not new, of course but until now I'm realizing they focus on those two words.

So my question: What is the relation between the two? Why do the "un-happy" players defend their threads, posts by stating the two?

Is this the norm or an excuse?

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Lag and Camping: Correlation or Excuse?

in reply to Izjar11
Solution
‎14-11-2013 12:42 PM

LOL Preach on!

I believe those 2 have become the de facto excuse for anything bad happening in any COD game. You can't get into any game without someone blaming campers or lag for their reasons for losing and because almost everyone does it, when you get killed, just say it was lag or a camper and you are excused.

With this game though, based on what I believe is happening, is that as long as you have a good connection, you will have a good day. Those who are having a legit problem with lag in this game probably have connections that are not optimal, whether due to a bad set up or location.

As far as camping goes, I have always called camping those who sit in corners ADSing. For the most part, due to the wide openness of the maps and multiple paths, camping is no longer a viable option for doing good. I do not call camping holding down one building as most buildings have multiple paths to get inside. If you are going down the same route to get in the building multiple times and the enemy sat there taking you out over and over, I blame you.

What the complainers fail to realize is that there are multiple reasons for someone to take cover, such as hearing you coming, reloading, changing classes, etc. So they end up killed by the "camper" and since they view their "mad skillz" as perfection, there is no way they could have been outsmarted by some "stoopid camper".

Level 40

in reply to Izjar11
Solution
Accepted by topic author Izjar11
‎16-11-2016 05:04 PM

In BO2 I encountered a truck load of lag/latency. I actually found that it was a better option to be on the move rather than camp. Get around that corner first and you can make lag work for you. Camping in a corner sometimes gave my opponent an advantage -   they would "see" me first. Swings and roundabouts - sometimes you're better off just accepting lag being part of any online experience. If frustration overrides enjoyment turn over to the sport channel

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

[ Edited ]
in reply to Izjar11
Solution
Accepted by topic author Izjar11
‎16-11-2016 05:04 PM

I amg etting older, and I can honestly admit that I've lost a step or two.  That being said, I don't blame campers-it's a legit strategy it always has been it always will be.  What I do blame is the act that there are players who intentionally dork up their connections to gain a clear advantage in these games.  You wanna cry foul and claim cry baby go right ahead, but the player base in these games is steadily diminshing-the only salvation is that the more recent games have been tareting a younger audience and thereby gaining new players to replace the disgruntled previous players.

As I said, claim cry baby and git gud all you want but I have the ability to watch gameplay footage and when I see players stuttering around the map, and deaths are instantaneous with player visibility that corresponds to a ridiculous kill-cam of 1.5 + seconds or more of the player just trying to kill me, come on?  Keep denying the claims of foul play that's cool.  Just remember more and more people are getting fed up with the crap that is happening in these competitive online games, and more and more companies are starting to realize that you can't just keep lowering TTK in order to cover up for exploits in the way a game handles network traffic.  I remember the joke that was the call out of BF4 OOR advatage in the summer of 2015, Dice locked the reddit post in just about 3 hours after it was inundated with video evidence from games evincing exactly what they were calling the community out on much like you are doing here.  After that, it was all about how they were doing all they could.

Admittedly, it sucks when you get outplayed, especially when you're tired and just want to have some fun.  It's downright infuriating when you can't do anything but just get ***** on because all of the top players in almost every lobby are sub 4 bar players and even if they read a stable connection you watch the most stutter-infested jarring kill-cams that amount to a slide show of the greatest hits of their actions for the 3 seconds that they killed you.

Level 9
59 REPLIES

in reply to Izjar11

In my opinion its easier to kill the campers if there is not lag(much), like there is now.

E: Sry,noticed it is the PS forum. I play on PC but maybe its the same on PS?

Level 1

Re: Re: Lag and Camping: Correlation or Excuse?

in reply to _TangoDown

True, this game is giving me some of the best connections I have seen since Modern Warfare near flawless.

of our training"
Level 75

in reply to Izjar11

That just seems to vary from game to game, player to player, developer to developer. Game to game, BO1 (the game I started playing CoD in) had the least lag, BO2 had worse lag than BO1 but MW3 had it slightly worse than BO2, Ghost so far "feels" like it has it the worst,,, for me. Player to Player, Even if you rocking the same setup this year as you were last year the new game will connect differently, for some it will be better and for other s worse, unfortunately everyone's connection situation will be different. Developer to Developer, now this may be fanboyism but it seems like people who experience very little lag on 3arc games have way more lag on IW games and vice versa...

Lag I've learned is a fact of online gaming. My problems in Ghost FEEL much worse than they have in any other CoD game but I think it's not just lag. It feels like the guns in Ghost kill faster, you take the exact same lag experience you had at either BO2 or MW3 and apply that to Ghost with it stronger guns and I think it will feel like it has HUGE lag even if in actuality it has the same. Until very recently I lived with a Strict NAT Type, don't know if that made a difference but I had pretty horrendous connections on MW3 & BO2 but the games were still playable most of the times. With Ghost TOO many instances occur where I am dead before I hear the shot, Sniper style only to find an SMG put three bullets in me.....

Camping is very real in this game, every game has it, it's a play-style but this game definitely feels like it endorses it. Not only is camping much more prevalent but the game plays at a snails pace

All I can say is that this is the first CoD me and my kids picked up and put down in the same week....

Well not completely put down but all I can sink into this game so far is about 15 to 20 minutes a day tops (2 maybe 3 games), after that the frustrations sets in

Level 9

in reply to xtlc2003

generally speaking it seem that either Iw games work better for you, or treyarch games work better, for me IW has always played better for me, and I am loving the game.. minus the camping.. you are right that the game is slower, this is prob due to the camping because of the maps, and how now its not just a 3 way line of sight like it always has been but multiple... people are scared to move.. I do personally feel there are too many houses and crap to hide in in this game, but with that all said,im still having a blast playing FFA

Level 10

in reply to W_E_A_P_0_N_11_

W_E_A_P_0_N_11_ wrote:

people are scared to move..

This is something i never really understood, why exactly do rushers think people who camp, play defensive or take their time moving around are supposedly scared to move ? You hear this all the time from different sources, usually from people who think their playstyle (rushing) is only acceptable one.

Level 22

in reply to Raketti

Exactly rushers had cried because they were catered to so much over the last 2 COD's.  COD 3, COD 4, W@W, and MW2 if you ran around like a headless chicken you got sniped immediately.

Level 7

in reply to Raketti

Raketti, because that is exactly what it is.. being scared to move.. when you see players in corners with ieds and camping.. they are scared to move..  and im not a rusher, i move tactically.. stop assumming

Level 10

in reply to Izjar11

It's a bit of a cause and effect scenario.  If people think that they are lagging then they will camp to offset the lag.  With TTKs being so low in Ghosts, many people are confusing lag with good hit detection.  Regardless they feel the need to camp.  Also the map design being as complicated as it is lends itself to camping primarily out of the fear of not knowing how to control the lines of sight.  Something that my complete disregard for stats early on has taught me how to deal with in rather short order.  I'm actually working on a CQC character build now that I've prestiged my AR build and I'm not having any trouble RnGing on these maps.  My only issue at the moment is that I could use a few more squad points to get everything lined out exactly like I want it but that will come in time.

Level 69

Re: Re: Lag and Camping: Correlation or Excuse?

in reply to phxs72

If people think that they are lagging then they will camp to offset the lag.  With TTKs being so low in Ghosts, many people are confusing lag with good hit detection.  Regardless they feel the need to camp.

And that's what I thought as well, but they are complaining about those who camp, and when that is not good enough they its lag then. I hardly read them say " I camp because I was lagging and now I hate the game" that is rare for anyone to say, I do that and promote that actually.

of our training"
Level 75

Studios