Black Ops II PlayStation 3

in reply to GraphiteTek

Does anybody even know the difference between a "Hacker" and a "Glitcher" anymore ? , the war machine used to be a glitch nothing more

JD-ILLusiONS-JD1
in reply to JD-ILLusiONS-JD1

Glitch - something buggy in (software) code, manifesting with specific (or sometimes) random sequence of events. Typically a temporary system/code failure (software error)

Exploit - taking advantage of the glitch (e.g. exploiting the usage of. An exploit is not a glitch... one exploits the glitch)

Hack - Manipulation of code/device, or the installation of 3rd party code on the device (typically to compromise security)

Hacker (classic definition) - Someone extremely knowledgeable proficient and coding

Hacker (modern definition) - One who manipulates code, jailbreaks, installs custom or 3rd party code in order to exploit and compromise security

* not meant to be precise definitions... I just woke up.

RLBL

99.99% of those who people call a "hacker" are nothing of the sort.  They are just idiots using a hack that someone more intelligent created.  I see lots of people driving cars, but how often am I looking at a driver who actually built the car?  Not very often.

sennalike
in reply to sennalike

agreed. my definitions apply to the 0.01%

RLBL

Please explain how your last statement is applying to the 0.01%

JD-ILLusiONS-JD1
in reply to JD-ILLusiONS-JD1

which last statement?

To the post you are replying to, or the previous... answer your question to the post you replied to would be redundant.

If you are referring to the previous, I will refer to Sennalike's comment:

millions of people drive cars, but how many can actually build them.  Someone using a hack, is not really a hacker (by what I was talking about above).  Someone writing the program, is in a different league than someone taking it and using it.  They are using a hack, yes...but they themselves are not a hacker.

RLBL
in reply to sennalike

While your definition is accurate and your percentage is probably conservative if anything, I think every one on the forums that calls someone a hacker is talking about that person being a hack user.  If no one did anything but create code that was never used in a lobby, no one would give a chit.  If someone uses that code to get an advantage over someone, people are gonna biatch.

Is calling them a hacker technically correct? No.  Are you going to get the entire community to start calling them "In-game users of malicious coding"?  I doubt it.  In fact, if you want to bring positive change to the forums, I suggest starting smaller, like when to use then and than or there and their or unbelievably, know and no.

Kothar44
in reply to Kothar44

Been there done that... anyone who tries is called "The Self Appointed Grammar Police"

That has a familiar ring to it.

RLBL

"That has a familiar ring to it."

lol 

Kothar44
in reply to Kothar44

Yeah, I understand the difficulties of using such names/phrases.  It's similar with the misuse of the word "camper".  The problem I have with the term "hacker" though is different in my eyes.  A real hacker, someone who can break into the code and change it to do certain things is actually someone who has a degree of intelligence.  People who use hacks online in public matches are simply idiots.  Developers see it the same way, otherwise there would be a lot more perma bans and console bans.

sennalike

Studios