BO2 UI error 29016 Technical Findings for Activision Support Staff

Black Ops II Technical Support

I am doing some investigating on the issue that MANY players have had playing this game. UI errors, being kicked out and reconnected to lobbies, only to be kicked out again before they can choose a class. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, my goal is to find what has happened. 

Now most of the affected people have claimed to going to hacked lobbies, and I agree. I  was also connected to a hacked lobby before this all started happening to me, as well as many other players as I've found out .I have found that not only does selecting barracks throw UI error 29016, but many other options including Combat Record menu items will crash the UI as well. Those options include "Career", "Combat Summary", "Game Modes", "Medals", and "Weapons". It's here in this menu that I've found what I'm theorizing is the issue, and it's weird but simple. 

When your selection box is over the Combat Record menu option "Career", I've found that my prestige is not what it was. What is more interesting, is that in parenthesis my Level has changed from "54" to "4.2949673e+009" which should be 4,294,967,300. I'm pretty sure this is either a security issue that is allowing modders to overflow some exp on weapons, items, etc that breaks the 55 cap and shoots it past a value that isn't part of the range, or the modders are simply modifying the Level value to astronomical proportions that is beyond the value range for the Level value. I assume prestige master wasn't good enough for the dirty hackers, but rest assured I believe that Activision, in order to save a community that still exists to this day due to the love of this great game, should impliment either a website form to file to have your account reset entirely, or an option for a roll back or modification of the value back to within it's range. 

To any Activision support that is out there, and that could not figure this issue out, would it not make sense that creating new accounts to fix this issue must have pointed to values going beyond their range? 

The symptoms make sense. 

Joining a lobby kicks you out immediately, and forces a rejoin. 

It's really not a forced rejoin, it's just an error loop. Lobby can't handle an account with a level value out of it's range. 

My theory for this: You're connected to the lobby. Your system is sending network info to establish and join the match. You join the match successfully. The host then reads your multiplayer account info, like your level, to display on the leaderboard. It reads a huge value that is not within it's range, throws an error to your system and it retries the connection. Sometimes others get kicked as well from your system connecting and disconnecting over and over again. 

The menu items and barracks crashing are due to the level being so high of a value that it can not be displayed in the menus. It crashes any UI element that attempts to read a value that is beyond it's range. Think of it like programming a calendar program for a phone. You have a value called "months" that when selected, it's selects a corresponding value tied to your option. Month "February" might be month "2", but the value range for "months" might be "1-12". Now imagine you changed the value to "543". There's no month associated with that value, and so when it is being attempted to display on menus, which can't find any month associated with "543", it would crash. 

That is my theory, and I apologise for making it long. I just know some reputations for certain support staff for some companies can be less than adequate, so I am trying to make sure that it is understood by them, and they have an explanation for why it is happening. 

Other BO2 players. 

If you have had this issue, log back into the affected account and tell me what your level value is when you click on "Combat Record"! You do so by hovering over your own name in the multiplayer menu. Press "A" then select "View Combat Record". From there don't press anything, and your value will be listed in the center-right of the screen. I know this is an old game, but these issues were sometimes never actually fixed. Meerely having a shotgun method of fixing the issue that causes a player to lose every bit of progress they had is not ideal, but at least you know why it had just so been happening to work. 

Community, this is my first post and I apologise it is this long and boring, but hopefully I can do more research on other issues you all have and can help fix them. 

Thank you! 

Henry

HotPantsHenry
9 REPLIES 9

Another find. 

Selecting any options under "View League teams" will crash the running instance of the game entirely. 

HotPantsHenry

Hi, I'm experiencing this problem and have looked everywhere for answers or some kind of fix and you seem to be the only one who knows what is going on so I was just wondering if there was any chance you could help me. My level value is 4.2949673e.009 by the way.

JackEvz123

I'm currently working on getting a modded system so I can help players out. The only way to fix it I believe is to revert your level back. A temporary fix is to play league matches until your level updates. It should only take 2-3 matches but I understand that not everyone plays league. Hopefully soon I can have a system and start fixing y'all's issues. 

But yes, play league until your level updates, and once it does (you can check your level by clicking your name once in league. It'll have your previous prestige and level listed) you'll be able to play pubs until you close the gsme

HotPantsHenry

Any updates?

Greenchevelless

It's absurd that a gamer would have to go to such lengths to fix something for people when those who made the game and profited from it don't give a *****!

NameToast
Spoiler
I looked into what you were saying and it's true I am a level 4.2949673e+009. Could no longer play on my husbands Xbox so when I bought mine i bought another copy of the game (just lala night) and cannot play!!!! This is ridiculous! I spent money on another copy!!! They are just letting people pay for ***** that won't even work! For something they cannot or won't control! This is out of hand and I am furious! They need to shut down all servers and SEOs selling the game. Refund those who deserve it. 
NameToast

I have now aquired the equipment necessary to help people recover their accounts in one way or another. 

Please email me at jehenrywork(at)Gmail(dot)com so I can attempt to help. 

NOTE TO EVERYONE: IF YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE PLEASE JOT DOWN MY EMAIL ADDRESS FOR FUTURE REFERENCE. IVE WITNESSED AN ACCOUNT BEING FLAGGED DUE TO EVEN MENTIONING THE OLD INCEPTED METHOD OF HELPING PEOPLE WITH THEIR ACCOUNTS. 

HotPantsHenry

UPDATE: Sorry for going incognito everyone! I have gotten multiple emails from people and the old way I would attempt to help could only fix a specific issue for one person.

The old method required too much personal information and I have gotten side tracked with life after that.

Now, I've gotten more information about the issues and it seems to be that people using mod menus (Jiggy, etc) are doing this intentionally. They have access to mods that can edit your kills, level, etc beyond the limited value which is causing the various UI issues.

Please refer to the email address above as I am currently at work. Once i'm back to my lovely little house, I'll be hard at work getting everything rigged up and I'll get everything rolling. I know many people might have already moved on from this, but as soon as i know FOR SURE that it is working, I'll post another update to let you guys know!

HotPantsHenry

Thanks for trying to help. My level value is also 4.2949673e.009.

Kat707

Studios