Call of Duty Black Ops 2 Freezing My PS3 Console Entirely

Black Ops II Technical Support

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 Freezing My PS3 Console Entirely

As others have stated in other forums online, my PS3 has been freezing in one of two situations while playing Call of Duty: Black Ops 2:

1) When a map is loading (once a lobby starts to launch into a game).  This occurs when the progress line at the bottom is almost completely finished. 

2) While in a lobby of people and the countdown to the game is ticking down.  It doesn't seem to matter what number it is during the countdown, as long as the countdown is going.  I've noticed the countdown does happen more often when there are 4 or 5 seconds left before the map launches.

These are total console freezes, necessitating a hard restart of the system.  This cannot be good for the console.  Every time, the system must rebuild the file system.  Eventually this is going to cause a failure of the system.

I don't know if this catastrophic problem is being addressed.  I would like Activision and Treyarch to inform consumers if they are going to address this particular issue, as it is widespread and appears to have damaged many people's PS3 consoles.

This is the only game that has ever frozen up the whole system like this.  It seems to happen 1 out of every 20 map launches from my experience (once a game is being played), but there is about a 1 in 3 chance when it's the first map you're launching after initially loading the game the first time in a gaming session. This is very strange behavior for a game.  It's happening over, and over, and over.....all the time.

First Gen PS3, 80 GB Version

Level 1
129 REPLIES

Re: Call of Duty Black Ops 2 Freezing My PS3 Console Entirely

in reply to SophicSage

Happens to everybody I know sometimes it messes up high zombie rounds, it happened that much to a friend of mine it broke his ps3, he took it to the shop and the show owner said he had atleast 25 ps3's in with the same problems all broke because of black ops 2 and it was the day after release. If the game broke my ps3 id break some treyarc staffs legs

Level 1

in reply to SophicSage

IT DOES IT TO MY XBOX AS WELL. USUALLY WHEN IM IN THEATRE MODE.

Level 1

in reply to SophicSage

I called Sony tech support today, and the guy on the phone didn't sound surprised at all when I toild him what was happening.

I deleted the BO2 content (not saved games) from my PS3 and re installed everything and I also did a filesystem restore (which didn't erase anything somehow). He said that he does this a couple of times a week and has never had a game crash. But, then again, he also didn't seem frustrated with anything, so he must not be a BO2 player.

Level 1

in reply to rreno88

Also, he said that if Activision's servers time out when communicating with the PS3, it could possibly corrupt files on the hard drive, which is what the filesystem restore fixes.

He also made it very clear that it was Activision's servers, not Sony's.

Level 1

in reply to SophicSage

Six times...MP or Zombie mode...Six times I have had to hard reset my AC3 500gb bundle. I am only level 44 on my first go round in BO 2...More of a zombie man. Not only am I getting the screen freeze which upsets me beyond belief when I have to hold the power button to turn it off. I am also getting host migrastion due to Activison's below par servers. MP is MP for a COD game it is no good....B3 much better(EA SERVERS). Anyhow I get the screen freeze not only while loading a map but during game play....be in the middle of shooting in domination pop pop pop....nothing...hard reset....jump in a teleporter to avoid a hoard of undead zombies....black oblivion...hard reset....Four man zombie game level 21 host migration..not one time...not twice...three times baby....Now the best is when the audio goes out in this game and it sounds like a freakin helicopter in your head set and you have to restart the system to solve it(proper reset at least).I love this game too bad it has so many flaws...I almost broke the game last night before it breaks my new console or.....me..................

Level 1

in reply to durtyb21

I've had a few instances..where I've become very..inclined to snap my disc, and just 'wipe' the 60 dollars away. So not worth the headaches at this point. Its a matter of don't release the game if you know its going to make people not purchase your game and not trust the title anymore. I believe anytime a title goes wrong, they should be forced to either fire the staff or leads who were okay with releasing the games prematurely.. OR.. make a new title for the game. the shitside of call of duty-or something to this effect, and not fool the people who want a very responsive, overly played game title, that people will buy simply because its the latest title, and in reality are getting set up for failure, because ..the game is a failure (as of now) IT HAS A LOT OF POTENTIAL..

Level 4

in reply to SophicSage

Same thing happen to my system too, everytime i start playing BO2

no matter if i'm in a lobby or in a campain my whole system freeze.

I'm planning on taking it back to the store for a new one but

i wanna know if it's worth it because i don't wanna use up my warrente.

Level 1

in reply to SophicSage

Everyone is having the same issues... I was playing Zombies and doing really good and then all of a sudden the entire system crashes. It's happened so many times i've lost count.

This is just ridiculous, they should issue an official apology to everyone for all the hardships the PS3 users have been experiencing. Unfortunately, just like the rest of us, once you open the package you cannot return the game. So we are all S.O.L. dealing with a game that is hardly usable.

This really is unexceptable, I'm not happy with the amount of time and money I have invested in this game.

Level 1

in reply to SophicSage

just be glad its 1 out of 20 games you freeze, currently 1 out of 2 games i'm experiencing this, and now my system is having an issue even reading the black ops disc.

Level 4

Studios