Latency

Black Ops II Technical Support

Latency

There is much speculation that if you have latency it cannot be fixed as each player is dependent on the host for a good connection.  However I find this logic flawed by one fact, there are some players who experience next to no latency at all and they are just as connected to the host as I am.  I've had crews from my internet company to my house twice to replace the modem and better my ping, yet the game is frustrating and almost unplayable 85% of the time.  I know this is not the experience of most players, so I have to figure it's something between activision servers and my ps3?

Here are my stats:

I'm using a Zoom 5350 cable modem through Time Warner

Speed test: 19mbps

Ping: 15-19ms

Hard wired

Ports forwarded with static IP

Usually no other devices running (laptop disconnected from net)

I have satellite tv, so no draw off the net

Level 3
23 REPLIES

Re: Latency

in reply to polar-rising

Hi Polar-rising.

Thanks for posting.  Can you describe the latency you are experiencing (choppiness, sluggishness, etc.).  Have you noticed it happening in any particular game mode or playlist?  You stated the game is unplayable or you 85% of the time, are you also getting disconnected?  Additionally, have you noticed considerably more lag during peak hours or any other time frame?  Also, if you have a video of the issue you are having please provide that as well.

Thanks ^AH

Community Coordinator

in reply to _KidA_

Hi, thank you for being 'on it'.. I don't really ever get disconnected from games and it doesn't seem to matter which game mode (I do bounce around quite a bit).

I would say the problem is worse at certain times, I usually play sometime between 8pm-11pm pacific.  Is that a peak hour?  Why would that make my game play bad and not others in the same lobby?

As far as sluggishness or choppiness I'm not sure, whatever you would call it losing every time you go head to head (besides sucking lol).  Seriously though, I'd say it somewhat resembles a flip book in varying degrees.

I have saved numerous games on my channel, please let me know what you think.  Thanks!

Level 3
Highlighted

in reply to polar-rising

Thanks Polar-rising,

Unfortunately, we are unable to access your account (privacy) to look into your theater.  If you could link us to a video so we can get a better understanding of what you are experiencing that would be most helpful.  If you haven't already done so, you may want to try changing the search preferences for a match to Best.  The search for a match may take a bit longer; however, it will try to place you in better quality games available.  Here's more info Activision Support

^AH

Community Coordinator

in reply to _KidA_

Yes, sometimes under the 'best' preference it becomes worse, sometimes it is worse under 'any'.  There seems to be no real difference between the preferences, nor is there any difference if I get 3 or 4 bars (usually I have all 4).  That's a bit disappointing that you can't view my channel, I will try and post a link asap.  Thanks again.

Level 3

in reply to polar-rising

Sorry for the delay.. I was watching some of the worse games in theater mode and I noticed something odd.. the lag didn't seem to be picked up.  It was as if there was no latency at all according to the clips.  Maybe that will help with a diagnosis?

Level 3

in reply to polar-rising

I'm really hoping to correct this issue.  There are some other really great games out there right now, but if I can get this sorted out will be more likely to try Ghost.  Looking forward to hearing back with your input!

Level 3

in reply to polar-rising

Hi  Polar-rising,

Thanks for the update.  Although you have listed past results for Speed/Ping test.  Can you please link us to a current Speed test Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

It's quite unusual that your are experiencing this 85% of the time.  Additionally, it may sound basic but have you rebooted the router?

Thanks ^AH

Community Coordinator

in reply to polar-rising

Sometimes I get results by rebooting my modem(no router), I was desperate for some decent play last night so I unplugged it for a minute and restarted it.. still bad.  I'll explain again what it's doing.. it's almost like there are ten "mini-freezes" at a time, it seems to happen at the worst time, like running into an enemy lol.

This morning's results:

Ping- 33ms

Speed D- 22.62mbps

Speed U- 2.22mbps

Not the best ping today.. I will hook up laptop and run ping in cmd

Level 3

in reply to polar-rising

Just a thought because it happened to me and perhaps it's happening to you as well.  Have you checked your power levels on your router channels?  I had a problem awhile back with some mini-freezes, host disconnects and even occasionally my router would just reboot itself.  After looking into the error messages on my router via googling them, I discovered that the cause of this problem was a weak upload signal strength.  Sure I could surf the net but basically what would happen is my router was effectively whispering to my cable company and my cable company was telling it to speak up.  So my router would increase it's power levels to compensate and eventually those levels would get so high that my router would trigger a safety feature and shut itself down.  I ended up buying a signal booster to put inline with my router and that bought my power levels back down to where they should be and cured this issue.  It's not a lag cure all but it did help.  If you decide to get one be sure to get one with an active return.  Otherwise it won't help.  The one that I purchased was a Motorola BDA-K1-RA.

Level 69

Studios