Latency

Black Ops II Technical Support

Re: Latency

in reply to phxs72

That was explained to me as well but in my case my ISP adjusted something on their end. I think ISP's are conserving with power and the ones that are on the end of feed are experiencing issues.  That would save on money. That sucks they are making you pay for the power. Small fee but you can see where it would add up.

Edit: I'm paying for it too though because my monthly fee went up a few dollars but it would suck if yours did too and you had to also pay for the amplifier power? 

Level 18

in reply to phxs72

Thanks for your reply but I don't use a router, it's more of a modem.  I am also hard wired, aren't signal boosters for wireless?  I have replaced my modem 3 times trying to find a fix for the issue, none work better than the last.

Level 3

in reply to polar-rising

I aslo went through 3 modems to prove to my ISP that wasn't it. It's most likely your on the end of the feed and they need to come out multiple times like they did me just to fix it someway possible that is unknown. But not before they threaten you with a fee if they find out it's your end of 50 dollars. Then tell you it's your modem again and again or router and splitter ect. when it's not.

Basically what was explained to me at the end was other peoples are back feeding causing intermittent connectivity issues.  

Level 18
Highlighted

in reply to polar-rising

What you are thinking about is a wireless signal booster which basically just improves the range of your wireless connection.  I actually tried one of those and it was awful.  The lag was atrocious.  What I'm talking about physically gets hooked up to your cable and then you run your cable to the router.  Effectively, it boosts your hardwired connection.

Level 69

in reply to polar-rising

Hi Polar-rising,

Although you have contacted your ISP in the past, if you are still experiencing this issue 85% of the time you may need to reach out them once more.  Additionally, here are a few tips offered by PSN that may help improve connectivity for you  Troubleshoot Wired Network Connection Problem on PS3

Let us know the results.

Thanks ^AH

Community Coordinator

in reply to _KidA_

Thanks for checking back in.  I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Time Warner today, and when tech support didn't produce I asked for level 2 support.  Level 2 tech said that monitoring my connection, there was nothing wrong with it.  Evidently the connection was consistent in speed and ping, so much so that there was nothing that could be done to improve it.  It seems that everyone is playing the blame game and I'm caught in the middle, please don't tell me you're throwing your hands up too!  I will look at the link you provided and post back what I find.

Level 3

in reply to _KidA_

Thank you for the link however the trouble shooting guide is pretty limited and nothing there applies to this situation.  What will be the next step in gaining better play?

Level 3

in reply to _KidA_

So just for giggles I bought an extension coax and moved my modem close enough to the console to use a 3' cable.  The game play is no better by doing so, in fact usually it isn't so bad in the middle of the day but the lag is seeming to be even more consistent.  I would say 85% might be conservative to be honest.  It's like, shuddery, like the game wants to work but it pulses.  A good portion of the time it is worse in a shootout, the game sometimes will freeze for a split second then I'm watching a kill cam of how I died.  I was using the 12 gauge long barrel in close quarters in Hijacked against a quick scoper, I got four, yes FOUR hit markers on him and he wouldn't go down.  OG, I am desperate to make this game work right.  I have invested hundreds of dollars and countless hours in an effort to do so.  Please hang in there buddy, I really would like to get this solved!

Level 3

in reply to polar-rising

I have PM'd OGHuxtable and have gotten no replies.  It looks like he is done offering help.  Maybe there is a more knowledgeable mod around who'd care to help?  I will bump everyday just to say hi.

Level 3

in reply to polar-rising

I'm no expert but at this point you may have to consider that your modem may be going bad.  Or it could all be related to the time of day that you are playing.  I know when I play in that time range on the East Coast, I find myself in lobbies that are mostly hosted by West Coast players.  The lag is quite noticeable when that happens.  I'd imagine that if you are playing that late on the West Coast that it could be substantially worse for you given that Hawaii would be your closest neighbor and anyone else would be much further away.  Before I'd look at another modem, I'd try playing a couple of hours earlier and just see if it's any better.

Level 69

Studios