Rather than the 4 bar for ping, I rather wish it would just say the ping

Black Ops II Xbox 360

Often I go to game where I get 4 bar, and I'm miles behind. Ping matters so much in this game that the difference between 50ms and 100ms is massive and the 4 bar system just doesn't tell me enough to help me decide wether I'll have a good game or not.

Tiny_cabbages
33 REPLIES 33

PC games and even console games back in the day used to show the actual ping in milliseconds , it gave you a good measure of how your game would be.

Even during COD4,WAW and MW2 having a four bar let you know that you had a good connection ,Nowdays that dont mean shit, Hell Ive seen lobbies where everybody had three bars or less even the HOSt because the LAg Compensation added so much Latency to his/her ping to put them on the same lagging level as the rest of the players.

ChronicCritic1

Unfortunately, they'll never do that because it would show how flawed the competitive-based matchmaking system is. So I'll break it down for you

4bar = <199ms latency

3bar = 200-300ms latency, have fun watching the enemy eat bullets.

2bar = 301-500ms, you may as well back out.

1bar = You shouldn't have even been connected to the game in the first place.

No, those aren't entirely accurate, but neither is the "4bar" system- Given that I've had numerous 4bar games, that felt like 3bar(or worse). And numerous 3bar games that felt like I was 4bar. All in all, this can be blamed on competitive-based matchmaking, which doesn't set you up based on your connectivity with the host & those in the lobby... Rather, it goes off of who has similar SPMs as you & it doesn't matter if they're from China running on their walmart connection.

In short, this will never be done.

AudibleTuna

Tiny_cabbages wrote:

Often I go to game where I get 4 bar, and I'm miles behind. Ping matters so much in this game that the difference between 50ms and 100ms is massive and the 4 bar system just doesn't tell me enough to help me decide wether I'll have a good game or not.

the reason is because it will cause more harm than good as most people as aptly demonstrated on these forums havent got a clue about ping, connections or what would be a good ping in this game.. so you'd just end up with people leaving games assuming they can find a lower ping game.

Secondly reason is as people dont understand ping for the most part its not used for consoles, a bar system is something everyone understands,

Maccabi Level 75

That is the biggest crock of trash I've ever read... If someone doesn't understand ping, they're either fresh out of the womb or 40+ years old..

Furthermore, what is so difficult to understand about Milliseconds??? 100 of them are equal to 1/10th of a second. 1000ms = 1 second... It's safe to assume that <199ms = 4bar, which is very misleading considering that a good reaction time is <1/10th of a second... Add on a possible 1/5th of a second and you're wayyy under average.

AudibleTuna

That is pretty much the direct answer from any dev that makes games for consoles. Bottom line is Devland has long realised console players are too thick to be allowed to see such info. The rational is the unwashed masses will use it as an excuse for all manner of supposed shortcomings in a games online performance. Case in point - "Lag Comp". Smiley Wink

RatedM2

AudibleTuna wrote:

That is the biggest crock of trash I've ever read... If someone doesn't understand ping, they're either fresh out of the womb or 40+ years old..

Furthermore, what is so difficult to understand about Milliseconds??? 100 of them are equal to 1/10th of a second. 1000ms = 1 second... It's safe to assume that <199ms = 4bar, which is very misleading considering that a good reaction time is <1/10th of a second... Add on a possible 1/5th of a second and you're wayyy under average.

While you may not like the answer that is the correct answer as to why we have bars and not ping as a number. Same reason we have bars on a mobile phone .

and thank you , you just proved my point again, 4 bars is not <199ms .

Maccabi Level 75

Mac give it up the masses will never understand. For as far as they are concerened everyone but them are wrong. No matter what they are told or by who.

Even if one of the devs or even if a MS PET came on here and told them why they would still call BS at that point.

trialstardragon Level 70

200ms under average?

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php

go there, youll find out just how fast 1/5 of a second really is considering AVERAGE reaction is above 200ms

cuddlemonster69

Even if most people's reaction time is above 200ms it doesn't mean everyone can't FEEL the difference between 50ms and 200ms. All you have to do is use the railgun in Quake 2 with 50ms vs 200ms of latency, the difference is obvious.

adeadfox

Studios