Ain't modding Illegal?

Black Ops forum

Could have sworn I read somewhere that modding/hacking a game could get you sent jail/prison, so why do people still do it?

Tell me why

below
RaNdOmNeWbPwNaG
19 REPLIES 19
yeah because it voids the copyright of the game.
jaxzon
Highlighted
Yeah so is downloading music and crack. People still do those things.
No_Diice
Driving over the speed limit is illegal
TheGuardian2
Dependent on usage and a few other things. The issue as a whole can be pretty hazy. In the case of consoles, however, you run the risk of being banned. On PC the regs are considerably looser. I don't advocate console modding personally, but always enjoy a good one on the PC.
temporalAgent
People think modding and hacking are the same when modding and hacking are 2 very different things, modding isnt illegal, and 10th lobbies on mw2 are not hacks theres mods. hacking is like breaking into a database or someone elses computer, thats illegal
ComiiczZ
Yea so is downloading movies/music etc.

That's why it's impossible to do it, OH WAIT. Smiley Surprised
hyperviper
Modding Single Player campaign etc won't result in consequences.

If you felt the urge, you could use infinite ammo/explosive bullets/aimbot etc for the MW2 campaign.

Hell, Bungie said once in Halo 3 you can mod offline, but the second you upload mods to file share, you get the banhammer.

I don't see what the big deal over modding is. One of the reasons I love the PC.

If people want to mod offline, why stop them? If people want to host a modded private match, why stop them?

Of course, a line has to be drawn. As soon as these mods enter online matchmaking, that is is crossing the line.
An Oreo

An Oreo wrote:

Of course, a line has to be drawn. As soon as these mods enter online matchmaking, that is is crossing the line.

More or less my opinion. Without modding we wouldn't have had a lot of the stuff we have now.
temporalAgent
Yeah it is illegal but chances of you gonig to prison are slim. They just ban you, that's all.
m00kster14

Studios