Ain't modding Illegal?

Black Ops forum

It is illegal, but since when does illegal stop people from doing something that is fairly minor? Someone opened up something they paid for... the modding just voids warranty. The using Xbox Live and playing hacked games is the real issue and it is minor on the law side so I think getting banned is punishment enough.

Our countries justice system is so fucked up, the last thing I want to see if a murder walk free to make room in a cell for some kid who modded his xbox, which could and would happen if they got into that much trouble for it.

I mean the kid who hacked Palins email address was on the line for a larger sentence than some guy who murdered like 3 people.... I wonder how that case turned out btw. (I hate stuff like this, we have blurred the line between what punishment fits what crime....)
HaloFreak7777

No Diice wrote:

Yeah so is downloading music and crack. People still do those things.

Notch_Jonson
In algeria every game is hacked, so we get games here for 1$ >.> <.<

Not that I buy from here though But I checked out the game stores in Algeria. It's not illegal there.
Merciless_Foe
you go to jail becuase you change a game that you bought o.O thats weird... i mean you dont hurt anyone, i thought you get banned and thats it... would at least be the most logical option for me Smiley Frustrated
yeticod
Highlighted
Isn't it illegal in terms of grammar usage to combine words that make no sense? After reading this look at your thread title..
F4UCorsair

ComiiczZ wrote:

People think modding and hacking are the same when modding and hacking are 2 very different things, modding isnt illegal, and 10th lobbies on mw2 are not hacks theres mods. hacking is like breaking into a database or someone elses computer, thats illegal

Modding — n

slang the practice of modifying a product to alter its appearance or to increase performance

Hacking --- verb

Computers . to devise or modify (a computer program), usually skillfully.

I dont see much of a difference.
Willis64781
There isn't a law against it. Microsoft could technically sue, claiming that the hackers are scaring away customers (which they are). They already lost a suit claiming that a particular hack was in violation of a patent Microsoft has on their code.

@above: Hacking is just a term for problem solving. It actually came from an MIT model train club. Computer hacking doesn't necessarily involve software either.

Modding is also a verb, and is just slang for modifying. It has nothing to do with performance.
montand_sarm

No Diice wrote:

how do you download crack, may i ask?
titchyboy360

titchyboy360 wrote:

No Diice wrote:

how do you download crack, may i ask?

Lol
Kid_

yes think of it as a bus pass you are aloud to use the bus but you may not tamper with the bus

abdusayshello

Studios