Dual Wielded Pistols Are NOT A Good Idea

Black Ops forum

In Modern Warfare 2, there was an option on some secondaries called akimbo that gave you two guns while limiting your accuracy on both. Given the game's already bad balance, it was generally ignored unless slapped on a shotgun or machine pistol, which led to devastating results.

Machine pistols and shotguns have been removed, but the fact that pistols remain, and the fact that you can dual wield them will lead to the disruption of balance.

Firstly, dual wielded pistols aren't balanced because they get to dual wield at no cost. All attachments should have some sort of downside (Bayonet=Slower melee, E-Mags=Longer reload, etc.) and dual wielding is no exception. While there is some downside in that you lose the ability to aim, this is negated by the fact that you have a primary to make up for the small range that the pistol had to begin with. Shotgun secondaries weren't balanced in MW2 because as long as you had anything but a Riot Shield, you could kill in areas the shotgun couldn't while dominating close range with the shotgun. With akimbo pistols it is the same scenario.

Secondly, akimbo pistols DO excel up close. One pistol is decent up close. Typically they deal SMG damage, just slower. Well, by dual wielding them, that fire rate is no longer a problem. You get to deal powerful SMG damage at rates of fire well over 1000 (the few SMG's that achieve this like the PPSH deal half the damage pistols do, and the SMG's that match pistol power like the MP5 shoot at around 800 RPM compared to over 1000). While they have little accuracy compared to SMG's, this is not an issue up close, and at far ranges an SMG will simply be beat out by your primary.

All of this means that akimboed pistols will be an issue in Black Ops. People using assault rifles or sniper rifles will simply slap them onto their classes at no cost and dominate close range while controlling far range.

Stuff Not To Say

-But you give up long-medium range combat for them! That's balanced!

-Nobody would use a pistol at long ranges to begin with. At medium ranges you can but they are outperformed by every weapon. Plus that range you are supposedly giving up can be kept by using a sniper rifle/assault rifle/LMG.

-It's fun to use.

-It disrupts balance. Balance>Fun>Realism

-They aren't even that good akimboed.

-Yes, they are. The weaker pistols are 3HK's with a fast ROF and big mags. The more powerful ones are 2HK's with the same fire rate, a slightly smaller mag, and a greater degree of accuracy.

-Then how come nobody uses them?

-They are overshadowed by akimboed Machine Pistols and Shotguns as of now, which are far superior CQB weapons and they are secondaries in MW2. However, those are being removed from the secondary list.

Revised. Again.
DropDragon
268 REPLIES 268
But running around as a sniper with silenced dual M9s had to be by far the best thing evar! I say keeps
CamelTowing
Actually, he's right. I'm sure treyarch feels the same way. And besides, they said they wouldn't copy IW.
Sergeantxrez423
What your trying to do is bitch and alter this game cause you got your ass raped in MW2 by people with skill, akimbo isnt broken its fair. Use your brain can you hit anything from far away with akimbo.... No there for it has a down side and is balanced , unless you played like me and sniped with Akimbo Mag's , But seriously you bitch at people runing around with Akimbop Usp's when your probly that one bitch in a Corner with a ACR-w/Tube and a PP2000-FMJ cause that shit is just fair as hell
SmokeCrackles

SmokeCrackles wrote:

What your trying to do is ***** and alter this game cause you got your ass raped in MW2 by people with skill, akimbo isnt broken its fair. Use your brain can you hit anything from far away with akimbo.... No there for it has a down side and is balanced , unless you played like me and sniped with Akimbo Mag's , But seriously you ***** at people runing around with Akimbop Usp's when your probly that one ***** in a Corner with a ACR-w/Tube and a PP2000-FMJ cause that **** is just fair as hell

you also can't hit anything from far away with shotguns, and since shotties are going to be primaries again, it would be a huge slap in the face, just as DropDragon said.
Sergeantxrez423
I already have a thread on the bull shit fact that you cant hit with shotties from far away
SmokeCrackles
I agree with NO Akimbo weapon. And if they're going to have them. Atleast have it as a perk or only be enabled when coming up across the same kind of weapon

( Pistols only )
guggi7

SmokeCrackles wrote:

akimbo isnt broken its fair. Use your brain can you hit anything from far away with akimbo.... No there for it has a down side and is balanced

I don't use anything akimbo just because I don't like to use weapons that others feel are "not fair"

And btw I can't tell you how many times I was killed from long distances by some tool using akimbo G-18's. I just find that to be a little rediculous imo. I don't think they should take anything out of the game, I just think Trey should find a way to make it more balanced some how.
Puppet_Ma5teR
it's pretty easy to balance akimbo for Black ops to make it work out ok. just make them shoot a little slower while dual wielding them and make it take longer to pull them out than a single pistol.
payneinc85
I dont like Akimbo' neither.

- Give's any weapon too much power, even handguns

- Looks ridiculous

- I know the game isnt suppose to be exactly like real life but it should atleast try to give the impression of realisim. I dont think firing 1 gun with 1 hand and reloading a gun with the other hand somehow, give's that impression.

And here's another way of looking at it from a weapon discription point of view.

'Dual wield weapon'

Imagine if the attachment description read like this.

'Double the Damage & Magazine size of this weapon at the cost of aiming down sight.'

Now, if people read it like that they'd have probaly played hell with IW.

icebankmice3if

Studios