FFA Leaderboards: Why judge on "Score per Minute"?

Black Ops forum

Currently, I'm about 6000-ish on the Xbox FFA Weekly leaderboards, with about a 2.30 K/D ratio and a good portion of my games won (I had a 47 win streak at one point...I'm assuming it counts second and third place as "winning"). I noticed, though, that kills, wins, or anything else matters...just score.

Scrolling up to the top of the list, I see the person in first place with about 800 SPM, with an extremely small amount of kills and games played.

What.

I'm just confused, why not do the leaderboards based on kills and games won? It seems to make more sense in FFA.
RSCNyx
8 REPLIES 8
Someone with an average of 800 SPM is making an average of 16 Kills per minute (FFA is 50 score per kill, right?). That's slightly more impressive than if someone was capable of getting 20 kills within a 10 minute time limit. That's why I think they did it that way. The more score you can rack up in a shorter period of time means you're actively playing, as opposed to winning a match but spending the majority of it getting only a kill or 2 here until you manage a decent kill streak reward.
kastro187420
Potentially someone could join a random FFA, get a lucky spawn and get like 20 kills in a minute. He leaves the match, and ta-da, #1 on FFA leaderboards.
Cs1294
SPM is the best indicator of a decent player - if its low then you know they are camping scum
UK ScorpZ

UK ScorpZ wrote:

SPM is the best indicator of a decent player - if its low then you know they are camping scum

Not true.

My SPM on Domination is below 200.. but that is because I constantly lap the map and flank campers.

Just because I don't launch myself at flags and into firefights doesn't mean I camp.
Cs1294
Score per minute is a good overall addition, but not a good way to run leaderboards. All it does is tell approx. how hard you rush. Leaderboards should be about the amount of time you've dedicated to the game (Overall kills/wins/time played).

Keep in mind, you can't dashboard for a high amount of kills... you'll end up losing kills (or not counting the ones you got in game, to be more accurate) whereas if you wanted to you could dashboard every game you don't get a super high score and work your way up the leaderboard like that. Leaderboards based on kills also make it easier to find hackers, they pretty much line up for you at the top.
A_Ninjakitty
I can't really agree with that logic. As stated, I usually go around with a shotgun, and sometimes there goes long periods where I don't find anyone.

Like in Hotel, which is for some reason in the FFA rotation. That map is huge, and I could spawn on one side of the map when they're all in the other, fighting over one of the two window rooms.

I'm very active when it comes to FFA, but the highest SPM I managed to get is like, 170. Then again, I don't use Chopper Gunner or any Killstreaks like that. Just SP/CSP/BBird.

Eh. Not that I really care. Was just curious why they did it that way.
RSCNyx

Cs1294 wrote:

Not true.

My SPM on Domination is below 200.. but that is because I constantly lap the map and flank campers.

Just because I don't launch myself at flags and into firefights doesn't mean I camp.

I'm the same way pretty much. SPM is by no means perfect, but it's a step above what we had before.

I was just on World at War earlier and using my Flanking Class. Doing so, I managed to easily dominate the overall kill total on the map, and get multiple sprays on enemies from behind. That's one reason I really enjoy World at War.. it's easy to Flank if you know what you're doing.
kastro187420

In FFA your score per minute essentially tells you how fast you win the game. In FFA the first to 30 wins so it really is the best way of determining who is best. And just play one game and be ranked high on the leaderboards, you have to play a certain amount of games before they rank you.  

HeRmY26A

Studios