Knifing in Black Ops Needs to be Addressed

Black Ops forum

[ wrote:

G-man":1sj93bi5]They should take notes from Bad Company 2's knife. It only worked at a certain range, was slow, hard to use, and made it so you could knife someone... but it took a lot of time and talent.

That's a good idea, the knife is bipolar. Sometimes it doesn't work sometimes it lunges 10 feet.
GhostSquad

[ wrote:

G-man":2tfp7hdv]They should take notes from Bad Company 2's knife. It only worked at a certain range, was slow, hard to use, and made it so you could knife someone... but it took a lot of time and talent.

This.

Every BFBC2 knifekill is actually rewarding, whether used sneaky or as a last resort. Of course, BC2 also rewards the player with the knife-victims dog-tags. Treyarch should steal this idea actually.

But back to the knife in COD, I saw someone suggesting that COD games should go back to their roots and use bashing with the rifle-butt for mellee, which, in my eyes, wouldn't be a bad idea: use mellee to stun your enemy, while each bash could do, say 30-50% damage when used frontally, and it could do 75-100% damage when used from behind (as in: you smash an unsuspecting enemy's skull).

This idea could go hand in hand with another idea to make the proper Combat Knife an equipment item, you know, choose if you'd like grenades, claymores or a knife.

Uncle_Graves
I agree. They should really put some skill back into the melee system. With all this lock-on and lunge nonsense its really just connection/lag and luck when you go head to head with melees. I would think eventually they would add some more depth to the system, with blocks/counters available, but honestly with lag it would still be random in most cases. They should atleast make it so bayonets have a distinct advantage against knifes head to head, in W@W knifes are still better against someone with a bayonet.

I think it would be cool if everyone had the option to throw their knife MW2 style, but if they didn't retrieve it they would be out of luck with no melee ability. That way they could keep the awesomeness of the throwing knife included as well as frags (which are essential in an FPS) while keeping it balanced.
Crunk N DaTrunk
I say just go with how you knife in Battlefield. Not too fast. It's more realistic and a fair fight. And fix the Air Knife.
Childofpain

Crunk N DaTrunk wrote:

I think it would be cool if everyone had the option to throw their knife MW2 style, but if they didn't retrieve it they would be out of luck with no melee ability. That way they could keep the awesomeness of the throwing knife included as well as frags (which are essential in an FPS) while keeping it balanced.

You know, this would actually work if knife was an equipment item: instead of frag grenades, claymores, etc. you could choose to have the combat knife which would work exactly as in W@W and replace the regular mellee (i.e. pistol whip, rifle-bash), but could also be thrown like a throwing knife, and if you can't retrieve it you're back to your regular mellee.
Uncle_Graves
Just remove all knifing perks, and make the time it takes to knife longer.
kamikaze1

Childofpain wrote:

I say just go with how you knife in Battlefield. Not too fast. It's more realistic and a fair fight. And fix the Air Knife.

+1
shilo25
I agree. Make the knife like BFBC2 or SOCOM.
matrix3214
in reply to dballa0880

jwalk wrote:

Sane Hedrone wrote:

I definetly think the standard knife needs a nerf. Even without commando, the lung is pretty ridiculous.

I personally think the lung should be removed completely, to make the knife only usable at extreme close range, and therefore being a last resort, like it should be, rather than a weapon of its own.

The knife should never trump the gun.

Kmife doesn't beat SMG or shotgun in close range, Knife doesn't beat AR/Sniper rifle in medium/long range. Quite balanced IMHO.

knife DOES beat shotgun or smg at close range.
o_Head_x_ShotZz
no kinfe, bashing like in cod1 & 2

2 hits, 1 hit from behind = perfect.
TKsoldierPL

Studios