Random rank reset - faq

Black Ops forum

Highlighted
I will donate $100 dollars to the charity of choice of the developer who takes ownership of this crushing issue.

Please add your FAQ points of interest so that we can collect everything that is relevant in one post. Thanks!

Facts as we know them:

- You have NOT hacked, boosted or exploited game play in ANY way.

- You have NOT been banned, you have not violated ANY terms that would cause your account to be reset.

- This issue can happen to ANYONE of ANY rank. Prestige does not matter.

- Some people have been able to get their rank back by exiting out of the game all together and then going back in.

- The local backup folder for single player games is of no help

- Completely uninstalling Steam, CoD Black Ops, your Anti-Virus or any other application does not make any difference

- Port forwarding the games ports does not make any difference

MAJOR Issues:

* Rank reset to 1

* Classes become un-editable

* Can no longer change weapons

* Can no longer change perks

* Can no longer buy contracts

* Can no longer buy new weapons or equipment

Last Confirmed Save Issue:

After upgrading to prestige 1 everything works well, BUT everytime I buy new weapon (after gaining rank, not prestige just those 1-50 ranks) some previous weapons in that where bought pre-prestige 'normal level' can't be bought. CoD points are paid and then after clicking 'BACK' button, it loads... fetches data... and the class. For example, FNF

When this issue occures youI don't lose CoD points,you just can't buy some guns because it resets to the "last confirmed" save.

Possible Replication Methods (This have NOT been confirmed)

1. Action: Player is kicked from a server, by an admin to open up a reserved slot.

Behavior: After joining the next game it is highly likely rank will be at 1, create a class is disabled. If you play another game your

rank does not go back to what it was.

2. Happens when Steam servers are updating.

Behavior: After joining the next game it is highly likely rank will be at 1, create a class is disabled. If you play another game your

rank does not go back to what it was.

Prevention Methods:

When create a class is disabled, use CTRL+ATL+DEL to close Black Ops, so it will not save anything.

Restart and check that everything comes back to normal.

Support Issue:

The only path for support is through Activision!. Activision! owns Treyarch so they are the go to folks for support.

Steam provides account validation and download bandwidth as well as game content. CoD Black Ops is a third party application for them. They can not access the player data either.

GameServers is the host for the data, they host it and would not have access to the account information.

This leaves us with Activision! as the only direct contact for help. They have told us they do not have access to the accounts,

that means that they have to contact a developer or other rep with Treyarch to look into this issue.

What do I think is happening?:

My best educated guess ( I have made my living for the last 20 years in tech support and as a SQL DB admin/developer) is:

This is data corruption issue caused by a lost connection or connection interruption when the record set of the player is being updated. When interrupted their code assumes that the data stream is being hacked defaulting the record set to level 1. So now they have to sort out the who's who. Ultimately they need to change the data stream validation to insure the record set transmission has completed by receiving back an encoded validation. I have a feeling this is where they are going to find their problem.

We are your Gamers and we need help to be made whole again, please fix this!
Blackjack_Nova
34 REPLIES 34
Anyone want to add to this? If you lost rank, post about it.
Blackjack_Nova
This is good and should be sticky but i think in the "Technical Support" section.
Transporter76gr
this hasn't happened to me, but I just wish they would acknowledge that the problem exists and that they are working on trying to find the cause and correct it.
zbug
Wow - I aint had this happen however I OFTEN have my class reset straight after I edited it - it says "Fetching Stats" and then resets. This game is broken broken broken!

I think your stats are saved on THEIR server which means the problem lies there. Their database or something gets corrupted and you lose you hard earned sh1t.

I have been following all my mates back to MW2 - it has many issues to but is WAY more fun than BLOPS and far less stressful......maybe it is just the players dunno but I have given up for now.
_FRacTuR3_
Stupid double post....
_FRacTuR3_
FAQ Updated..
Blackjack_Nova
Yeah, this happened to me also. Last year if i recall correctly. I had Prestige 2 Level 22, got kicked from a server. When i joined back i got kicked again, then poof level 1. I thought that my eyes see wrong but no, Create a Class and all other stuff got locked caused by the resetting. Neither i could change my weapons because they kept resetting. I sent them email (to Activision ofc) but they replied that they don't have access to the ranking systems so they cannot modify, delete my account infos. I mean what the hell, even if i had my rank reset to 1, MAYBE i would struggle to get it back to it's original state, BUT i cannot even change my weapons.

I wish i could get my rank back. I didn't touched the game ever since i got my rank resetted. I haven't done anything hacking or anything like that, and even if would have hacked they would have had to send me an email notifying me about the incident.

Although i highly doubt that any developer will look over these and MIRACULOUSLY rebring my rank and fix my weapon problem.
just4fun49
just4fun49 -

Although i highly doubt that any developer will look over these and MIRACULOUSLY rebring my rank and fix my weapon problem.

The developers have a few choices

1. Totally disregard any previous rank, accomplishments, video or any other data that shows the rank the player had achieved. DO NOTHING.

2. Write code/database query that will look at every reward that could be given to a player, and then if their data is corrupt, (meaning the record contains a mismatch of rank to possible rewards or weapons) then look at the play time the player has put in game. If everthing checks out, then the system could reset the rankest in accordance with the high reward record found.

3. They could open a support ticket for EVERY record that is corrupt and ask US THE PLAYERS THAT BUY THESE GAMES, what out Prestige was and then allow support to reset it to that level. Who really care other then the person this happened too! I do not care what kind of database they are using I could write the code to do this, it is not rocket science it is database admin 101!

Why the developers have not given the tools to the support staff to help out is beyond me.

Oh, i think they will do 1. NOTHING.
Blackjack_Nova
Strange... when everyone said that MW2 is so bad and so much worse than Black Ops still it didn't have such "critical" issues. They gave me no other choice other than abandon the game. As i said i would have been willing to re-rank (aka i would have tried to fix it still it was not my fault) but there ... i cannot even change my weapon.

I wish i'd knew that they listen to us and try to fix these problems ... but they simply ... don't.
just4fun49

Studios