Thoughts on Pay To Play for Black Ops MP?

Black Ops forum

Highlighted
just came across this on the Call of Duty Wikia under trivia for Black Ops

It is rumored that Activision is planning on charging a fee for the multiplayer use of Call of Duty: Black Ops.

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Black_Ops
jasonthakilla17
108 REPLIES 108
what are all of your thoughts on this and would it affect your decision to buy the game is officially announced?
jasonthakilla17
Not only will Treyarch and Activision loose sales but people will also protest any future games they do, I remember a interview Bobby Kotch or whatever the guys name is where he stated that he wanted to charge for online play but it would be next year and not this year.

The Interview he stated something along the lines that they would be charging $19 for 4 month's or $60 for a year on top of what Xbox live charges, he also said that future gaming addon's will raise in price to better suit Activision and the money they put into the games.

Now if this does happen I know a lot of people will return the game the very next day after they buy it and I for one would be one of those individual's.
MegaPikachu

wingedcolt wrote:

Not only will Treyarch and Activision loose sales but people will also protest any future games they do, I remember a interview Bobby Kotch or whatever the guys name is where he stated that he wanted to charge for online play but it would be next year and not this year.

The Interview he stated something along the lines that they would be charging $19 for 4 month's or $60 for a year on top of what Xbox live charges, he also said that future gaming addon's will raise in price to better suit Activision and the money they put into the games.

Now if this does happen I know a lot of people will return the game the very next day after they buy it and I for one would be one of those individual's.

i will never play CoD again if this happens
Aaron_K_-47
Activision is retarded. If they are to do that, my gaming career is over, as well as MANY others.
commander1222
I wouldnt pay for it.
Mark_666SKFL
If I had to pay then its a good thing that I got COD4, WAW, and MW2 to play.
xdaoroman
No, i would get them charging PSN and online for the Wii sincere there online is free but Xbox 360's online is expensive enough.
bigboom11

bigboom1 wrote:

No, i would get them charging PSN and online for the Wii sincere there online is free but Xbox 360's online is expensive enough.

Yea someone mentioned that in the interview and Kotch just went on to say the servers and material is expensive to allow free play, so they have talked with Ms and PSN about allowing them to charge for online play along with what they already pay.

Ill go and look for the interview now.

Edit with the interview:

http://dlb-network.com/2010/02/activision-subscription-fees-for-call-of-duty/

For those who don't want to go to the link here is what is said-

In a recent conference, Activision Blizzard has revealed to investors, a new Call of Duty, announced that a subscription for the series is in the works. What isn’t a surprise about the announcements is a plan for a Call of Duty 7 this year. However, what may surprise everyone is a plan for implementing a subscription based service for the Call of Duty franchise. During the conference, Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick said, “If you think about the success we’ve had in other product categories on subscription, you can get a sense of the direction that we want to take that franchise.”

Although we most-likely wont see a subscription fee this time around for Call of Duty 7, we may see it for Infinity Wards next big drop. Remember there was rumors before that Infinity Ward was working on an MMO type shooter, and that fits the subscription profile pretty well; However, only time will tell.

*Within this same conference they also hinted that they might not release as many big, plastic peripherals this year.

Another Link-

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=227204

Activision says you should "expect" paid-for online models such as those in World of Warcraft to make the transition to other games, including Call of Duty.

Speaking during yesterday's BMO Capital Markets Conference (which sounds fun), Activision Blizzard CFO, Thomas Tippl said that while WoW's model is difficult to replicate, players should expect new monetization models for its other games soon.

"It's definitely an aspiration that we see potential in, particularly as we look at different business models to monetize the online gameplay," said Tippl. "There's good knowledge exchange happening between the Blizzard folks and our online guys."

"We have great experience also on Call of Duty with the success we had on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. A lot of that knowledge is getting actually built into the Battle.Net platform and the design of that," he added.

"I think it's been mutually beneficial, and you should expect us to test and ultimately launch additional online monetization models of some of some of our biggest franchises like Call of Duty."

According to the Activision CFO, there is a demand from its core fanbase to pay for additional services.

"Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet. From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that," he said.
MegaPikachu
thing thats messed up about that is we already pay anwhere between $60-$150 (diff editions) not to mention they will probs do a special edition console for $300 and they say they need money for servers. i think thats some BS they make millions (possibly billions) off of these games and dont forget the DLCs which sell millions so i really dont see how they can say its too expensive to run servers when the company is probably one of the richest game companies right now. what i think is they just wanna make their fat pockets even fatter, im in no way trolling/hating/or bad mouthing Activision but they honestly need to think with their minds not their money
jasonthakilla17

Studios