What Game Engine Will They Be Using?

Black Ops forum

I really would like to know if they are still going to use the cod4 engine with some updates to it or will they completely have a new engine from their previous game. If anyone has the Intel on this than reply please!
trujunky
18 REPLIES 18
As far as my intel says, its looking like Treyarch will be using a similar engine to World at War with some updates/modifications
Defensor Fortis
JediMaster Shark
Well, the CoD4 engine is a very good engine, so as long as they update it visually I'm OK with Black Ops then.
tapsoda1
The problem with the usage of the COD4 engine is that it belongs to INFINITY WARD, Black Ops is made, developed, and run by TREYARCH
Defensor Fortis
JediMaster Shark
Okay let me get this straight, the engine that Treyarch used in WaW was given to them by Infinity Ward because they were halfway through production on their game and Infinity Ward came out with CoD4 so they had to revamp everything. So thus that engine is technically theirs.
IF_ii_IR_IE_x

JediMaster Shark wrote:

The problem with the usage of the COD4 engine is that it belongs to INFINITY WARD, Black Ops is made, developed, and run by TREYARCH

So have you just been sitting under a rock since BEFORE WAW came out? WaW used an updated version of the Call of Duty 4 engine. IW gave them the engine to use. So, no, he is not wrong, it may very well be the CoD4 engine...
NP_Carling26
Actually, every call of duty game since modern warfare 1 have all run on Id Software's Quake 3 engine. That is fairly disappointing considering that game is nearly 11 years old.

For those who are too young, or have no idea what Quake 3 is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_III_Arena

Quiet possibly the best FPS ever made.
hydr0nium
I would hazard a guess that Treyarch will be using the IW4 engine, which was used in Modern Warfare 2. Though they will likely do some modifying to enhance visuals, etc.
W1NG3D

hydr0nium wrote:

Actually, every call of duty game since modern warfare 1 have all run on Id Software's Quake 3 engine. That is fairly disappointing considering that game is nearly 11 years old.

For those who are too young, or have no idea what Quake 3 is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_III_Arena

Quiet possibly the best FPS ever made.

MW1 uses the IW engine, They do not use the ID 3 engine from quake. Only Cod1 and 2 used it I think.
jmurray87
Pretty sure all of infinity ward's products use the tech 3 engine. The initial start up screen in mw2 has the copyright info right there. It would not make sense from a business point of view to license the engine for Call of Duty, not use it for MW, and again use it in MW2.
hydr0nium

Studios