What Game Engine Will They Be Using?

Black Ops forum

jmurray87 wrote:

hydr0nium wrote:

Actually, every call of duty game since modern warfare 1 have all run on Id Software's Quake 3 engine. That is fairly disappointing considering that game is nearly 11 years old.

For those who are too young, or have no idea what Quake 3 is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_III_Arena

Quiet possibly the best FPS ever made.

MW1 uses the IW engine, They do not use the ID 3 engine from quake. Only Cod1 and 2 used it I think.

No, stop confusing yourself and others please... Every COD game has used the Id Software engine including MW2, they obviously enhance and modify it for every other iteration of the COD series.

Check the back of your COD game's case, read the fine print - It will always credit Id Software for the engine.

kaizersosa

kaizersosa wrote:

jmurray87 wrote:

hydr0nium wrote:

Actually, every call of duty game since modern warfare 1 have all run on Id Software's Quake 3 engine. That is fairly disappointing considering that game is nearly 11 years old.

For those who are too young, or have no idea what Quake 3 is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_III_Arena

Quiet possibly the best FPS ever made.

MW1 uses the IW engine, They do not use the ID 3 engine from quake. Only Cod1 and 2 used it I think.

No, stop confusing yourself and others please... Every COD game has used the Id Software engine including MW2, they obviously enhance and modify it for every other iteration of the COD series.

Check the back of your COD game's case, read the fine print - It will always credit Id Software for the engine.

Agreed.
Mooretl16101981
The explosions in the begining of the trailer look very similar to those in CoD WaW. I think it's the CoD4 engine, just an updated version
ceko1
All 'main' CoD games (and I guess even all 'secondary' CoD games) have been using the Quake III engine. Though every CoD title had their own 'heavily modified' version specifically for the game. They just added and improved alot to the engine to make it look better and keep the preformance they have. Though I'm afraid they can't mess alot with it because they'll have to sacrifice their beloved 60 FPS on consoles if they want to add more detail and improve the engine alot.
FullMetal1

TruJunky wrote:

I really would like to know if they are still going to use the cod4 engine with some updates to it or will they completely have a new engine from their previous game. If anyone has the Intel on this than reply please!

I'm pretty sure this is their last time using Infinity Ward's engine to make Call of Duty: Black Ops.
dlim783
donr know
evolutionx
I hear they've been using the same engine since Call of Duty 2 but have heavily modified it over the years.
Weird-Guy
Call of Duty used the id Tech 3 engine (Engine that powered Quake III: Team Arena)

Call of Duty 2 used the IW engine (Based off the id Tech 3 engine)

Call of Duty 3 used the Treyarch NGL engine (I have no info concerning this)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare used an enhanced CoD2 engine

Call of Duty: World at War used a modified CoD4 engine

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 used an enhanced CoD4 engine (Named IW 4.0)

Call of Duty: Black Ops will use a modified CoD:WaW engine

pwnage19
Its probably going to be 1 of 2 things. 1. New engine 2. WaW's engine
madlag

Studios