Black Ops forum

in reply to ArkansasBoy
Taking into account guests, suicides, dashboarding, and general lost connections, about tree fiddy.
Ishkandir
in reply to ArkansasBoy

tarallo1 wrote:

WesTheDuck wrote:

ArkansasBoy wrote:

What would you consider an "average" KD? I've heard many opinions on this, and i can never find an agreeable answer. I used to think about 1.00 was it, but if you look at every player's combat record in your lobby, usually you will only find 2-4 people with KD's above 1 (well, that's just from my observations).

But anyways, now I'd say about .80, what do you think?

The real average is 1. Just because someone dashboards doesn't mean they didn't get any deaths, it just means it doesn't show up.

But you do have to take suicides in for account. So I would estimate between .90-.95.

I don't like to count those, nor do I think they should count to someone's K/D, but hey, that's just me. I'm sure we've all accidentally "fell" (more like slipped) off the side on Summit.
WesTheDuck
in reply to ArkansasBoy
I would say somewhere between .7-.9, based on what I've seen. I'm one of those guys that checks out a lot of combat records when I hop into a lobby.

As far as a "good" KD goes - I think anything north of 1.00 is good. If you can get into a game and not die more times than you kill on majority, then that's good.
TickTak77
in reply to ArkansasBoy
My question... who cares? Don't bother keeping track of K/D. Boosters, connection issues, etc all make most stats meaningless. And please don't think I am saying this due to my "low" K/D. It's well above average.
unimsw
in reply to ArkansasBoy

unimsw wrote:

My question... who cares? Don't bother keeping track of K/D. Boosters, connection issues, etc all make most stats meaningless. And please don't think I am saying this due to my "low" K/D. It's well above average.

because its a fun way to keep track of how well you are doing
cy7s
in reply to ArkansasBoy

tarallo1 wrote:

WesTheDuck wrote:

ArkansasBoy wrote:

What would you consider an "average" KD? I've heard many opinions on this, and i can never find an agreeable answer. I used to think about 1.00 was it, but if you look at every player's combat record in your lobby, usually you will only find 2-4 people with KD's above 1 (well, that's just from my observations).

But anyways, now I'd say about .80, what do you think?

The real average is 1. Just because someone dashboards doesn't mean they didn't get any deaths, it just means it doesn't show up.

But you do have to take suicides in for account. So I would estimate between .90-.95.

Not only that, but the word average in this case means something different than that of what it usually means. Most people would think 1.00 would be the average, of course with fluctuations with suicides and dash boarding, it would change some... But then you have to think of it from a math p.o.v. Lets say there were only 2 people ever playing Black Ops. One guy killed the other one 4 times and then the guy who died four times finally got a kill. Their K/Ds are 4.0 and 0.25 respectively. But their AVERAGE K/D is 2.25, because K/D cannot go below 1.0, therefore making any K/D average as many people understand invalid.
Optimized_OD
in reply to ArkansasBoy

unimsw wrote:

if you don't care, i suggest don't bother with this thread.

like someone else said, the distribution curve is what we're really interested in. that said, when taking the average K/Ds of players, there should be a minimal amount of playing time to even consider them. playing time, a factor, that should increase along w/ time.

for example, a player has 5 days of playing time today; he is eligible to be used within the sample pool. next month he has 5 days and 12 hours of playing time. you wouldn't use him as a sample to get the average K/D of players. that would hopefully prevent new accounters, old accounts, boosters, etc. from tarnishing the results.
mrmercmansir
in reply to ArkansasBoy
There was a LONG thread on this topic some months back. I'll try to summarize what I remember.....

- As someone mentioned above, you can't really take a mathematical mean (what most people think of as an "average") when the variable in question is a ratio (as KDR is). Instead you want to look for the median player (the person such that half of all players have a higher KDR than him/her and the other half of players have a lower one).

- Someone on Den Kirson's page actually tried to track this by checking the lobby leaderboards over the course of several days of playing. IIRC, they found the median KDR to be in the .80 - .90 range. So while that was only a sample, yeah, it looks like the average person goes negative (modestly) on average. (Which actually makes sense, I think, if you sit down and do the math on the statistical properties of ratios.)

If I'm wrong, or if someone else has the actual data, please chime in.
randomguy987
in reply to ArkansasBoy
Not sure about everyone else...but my average KD is .33...when I go beastmode it's .67
ixcgenocid3
in reply to ArkansasBoy

unimsw wrote:

So, what is the average K/D? That was the question. Not, "do we keep track?"
faintassault

Studios