Game won't Launch ( PC Open Beta)

SOLVED

Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Support

Everytime I press play on Battle.net, it says the game is running and a black window appears and immediatley closes. Sometimes I don't even get the black box and it just asks me to press play again. Other times I get a message that pops up for only a second or two stating that I need to update drivers and asks if I want to go to a website to learn how to update them. I have already checked and my Graphics Drivers are already up to date and I have the most recent update of windows. I've restarted my computer and reinstalled the beta several times along with downloading the most recent versions of the driver updates and nothing seems to work. I have a NVIDIA GeForce gtx 1070 ti ftw graphics card for reference. Please help, thanks.

Vexahlia
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Update: Please follow venom_brothrhood's posted video here: https://youtu.be/11fMvBDydQE

All credit of the video to it's owner and, best solution to: venom_brothrhood here on the forum. My steps did not include "Selective Boot" which is actually a key part of performing a "Clean Boot" I'd recommend his video for the solution as best fix because it actually ensures no 3rd party start-ups will interfere with the game.

Overall I believe this to be some type of startup item either Windows or 3rd party related possibly because if the clean boot video above has been working for most we can rule that as the case here.

---------Original post:--------------

Hey,

I'm new to the forum and have not played COD in many years. I'm an IT guy that just helped a gamer buddy of mine on the open beta with the same problem. He clicks PLAY "Game Running" window briefly comes up then closes. Basically unable to launch the game. Other issues I've been reading is some people are able to launch the game but during map loading it crashes then or later on into the game.

In my experience as a software enthusiast Beta games are typically not optimized right off the bat and little things running on your PC and high graphics settings tend to be part of the problem.

First off, when I remoted into his PC (He's running Windows 10 1803 build) I then went to disable "Non microsoft services"

1. Windows Key + R
  2. Type: msconfig
  3. Go to services tab at top
  4. Check the box at the bottom left that says "Hide all Microsoft Services"
  5. Once step 4 above is checked then you'll click on "Disable all"
  6. From here: Carefully go through the list and ensure your important services like ones from (Nvidia, Intel, Windows/Microsoft) are re-checked since you just clicked on disable all you want to manually re-check the important stuff before applying.

Now in that same list in services his PC I left the following on his UNCHECKED:

• BattleEye Service (Not sure if this service was contributing to the problem but I left it unchecked)
  • Chrome remote desktop (Not sure if this service was contributing to the problem but I left it unchecked)
  • Haste Esports Accelerator Service (Not sure if this service was contributing to the problem but I left it unchecked)
  • Killer Service V2 by Rivet Networks (Not sure if this service was contributing to the problem but I left it unchecked)
  • Logitech Gaming Registry Service (Not sure if this service was contributing to the problem but I left it unchecked)

I'm in no way associated with the devs in COD so I can't exactly explain why leaving the un-necessary / not critical services that start automatically disabled as explain worked *AFTER REBOOTING HIS PC* after making the change in msconfig a reboot is absolutely necessary to make this work.

As for the crashing later on into load the maps for some other complaints I've read. My suggestion, also did this for him is once you get the game to finally open go into the settings in the game itself (not the ini file) then go to "Graphics" then find anything that is set to "High" and bring it a notch down to Medium for now. Running your game maxed out isn't likely to help avoid the delayed crashing some are experiencing so therefore I don't recommend it.

In addition YES I did also take some of the already posted steps:

• Right click Blizzard App "Run as Administrator" or simply right click the shortcut > Properties > "Compatibility Tab" > Check mark " Run this program as an administrator " (Toward the bottom options) > Apply. Now your shortcut will always run it as admin by default.
  • Ensured he wasn't double dipping his security software. Example: If you have 2 Anti-viruses like Avast + Windows Defender ON AT THE SAME TIME, Disable one or the other. Preferable Windows 10 defender if you're using another premium style AV. If you can go into the settings of that AV and add exceptions to the "Do not scan or include list" (Google this per your AV solution) as a security profressional some people here on the net will say to temp disable your AV but why put a bandaid with holes in it rather than apply a proper patch? (Disabling AV leaves you vulnerable)
  • Redacted this step from original post (Not a solution to the problem) *Graphics Driver re-install

The biggest possible solution I think was disabling the un-necessary services through the steps I advised above in this post followed by the reboot to finalize seemed to be his fix. I hope this helps and, as a fellow gamer I truly wish everyone here best of luck. If this worked for anyone in this same situation please reply letting us know as we're very curious in this matter.

Cheers!

fryj13
37 REPLIES 37

the same

Luzaminishield

Same. On 1080ti

tanglopho

Welp. Reinstalling bnet launcher fixed it somehow.

tanglopho

Re-downloading the battle.net launcher didn't resolve the issue for me, unfortunately.

Vexahlia

oddly enough. when i switched the region to europe it loaded far enough for me to see some of the loadscreen. which that looked dope. but then it crashed. so RIP. havent gotten it to load that far since.

Dalasaurus420

Same issue here anybody found solution

Rektafrent

No solution for me yet, and all attempts to contact someone from support haven't yielded anything. By that I mean, no one has even attempted to reach out to me or even return a message.

Vexahlia

Same problem, still no fix!!!

Squidgypooh
they dont give a *****, very nice
DokterDansker

Studios