Primitive backpacking

Call of Duty Black Ops II Off Topic

Primitive backpacking

So me and a friend are going primitive backpacking in the Catskills on March 20. We plan to stay 3-4 nights. If you dont know, primitive backpacking/camping is when you go into the woods away from trails and civilization with minimal supplies. We are bring sleeping bags but no tent, very little food and water and no forms of communication.

So has anybody ever done anything like this before? I've gone camping plenty of times but always at sites. Do you suggest i bring a gun? Im just wondering what supplies anybody recommends in case i forgot anything. The catskills are home to 1200-2000 black bears but im not too worried about them, im more worried about a creepy family living in some cabin in the middle of nowhere. Those movies never end good.
Level 49
160 REPLIES

Re: Primitive backpacking

in reply to reaper2792
If your taking very little food, I suggest taking a gun, you might starve otherwise.
Level 22

in reply to reaper2792

CloudTM wrote:

If your taking very little food, I suggest taking a gun, you might starve otherwise.

yea, we were hoping to pull off some bear grylles-type traps for food. That and fishing should be enough. I'll eat bugs if i have too. I guess the gun will have to be a last minute decision.
Level 49

in reply to reaper2792
Make sure you take a gun with at least 2 bullets. Then you and your friend have to decide who kills who and then kills themselves when things go horribly, horribly wrong. Which they probably will.
Level 27

in reply to IntoTheVoid

IntoTheVoid wrote:

Make sure you take a gun with at least 2 bullets.  Then you and your friend have to decide who kills who and then kills themselves when things go horribly, horribly wrong.  Which they probably will.

This is still one of my favorite posts in the 3+ years i have been here. +5

Level 49

in reply to reaper2792

Have you taken any primitive backpacking trips lately, Reaper? Any planned for the future?

Level 53

in reply to -pictureframe-

I actually went camping last weekend. My plans were to do it primitive style, but then i realized it was double xp weekend, so i changed my plans this way i could do both:

http://cdn.pophangover.com/images/camping-fail-9.jpg

Level 49

in reply to reaper2792

Lag was minimal I assume

Level 59

in reply to reaper2792

IntoTheVoid wrote:

Make sure you take a gun with at least 2 bullets. Then you and your friend have to decide who kills who and then kills themselves when things go horribly, horribly wrong. Which they probably will.

[sarcasm] That's what I call support!!! [/sarcasm]
Level 22

in reply to reaper2792
Never thought about to do that as private person...

I had to do something similar in my Army time. We had to go into the woods, it was kinda a survival training with limited food and water, so i know what awaits you. Good luck (and fun...!?) to that reaper.
Level 75

Studios