BO2 keeps crashing and restarting, caught in endless loop.

Call of Duty Black Ops II PC

Highlighted

BO2 keeps crashing and restarting, caught in endless loop.

I was playing around in the graphics setting and I accidentally changed the display mode from full screen to windows and that's when things started to go wrong. BO2 starts, crashes en restarts in an endless loop. I can't even end it with the taskmanger so the only way out is CTRL>Alt>Del and restart my PC. I tried everything I can think of, verified game cache, reinstalled BO2, reinstalled steam, ran DirectX executables, changed the display resolution form Nvidia control panel and I reinstalled the graphis driver all without any result. Basically BO2 is completely FUBAR.

Then I got an idea and I installed Steam on the C harddrive (I've always had Steam on my E harddrive) to the default location. After that I let steam install BO2 so now that's also on the C harddrive. I started up BO2 and it runs like nothing ever happened. My C drive however is a SSD and I'd like to have BO2 on my 1TB E harddrive (for space reasons) so I deleted BO2 from the E drive and copied over the folder from my C drive to E because I thought if it works on the C drive it has to work on the E drive as well. Guess what, it doesn't. As soon as I start BO2 from E it again gets caught in the same crash>restart loop.

I'm completely out of ideas so if any of you has any clue what's going on I'd  love to hear it. Btw, this is on Win 7 64 bit.

Level 4
2 REPLIES

Re: BO2 keeps crashing and restarting, caught in endless loop.

in reply to Drawcansir

Unfortunately, you cannot just copy the folders. It doesn't work at times.

The best method is to delete the Black Ops 2 folder in your E drive. This I believed are due to Windows security and Black Ops 2 setup issues. The folder must be deleted and re-install from Steam.

PS. Even Steam did not delete the BO2 folder, you must delete the folder manually.

Level 4

Re: BO2 keeps crashing and restarting, caught in endless loop.

in reply to danquake

That did the trick, I manually deleted the BO2 folder and reinstalled the game and now everything is fine again. I can't believe that one simple thing was the issue, weird stuff. Anyway, thanks for the help man, appreciate it.

Level 4

Studios