A discussion on using radar

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

A discussion on using radar

The radar in this game is often a deciding factor in survival.   For most players, the strategy is second nature, but it's surprising how many players don't know how to take advantage of the radar to keep themselves alive.  I thought I would take a few paragraphs and offer some of the techniques that can take full advantage of it. This disucssion will focus mainly on Black Ops 2, however the techniques here will likely carry over well to ghost and other past COD games since the radar mechanic doesn't vary all that much between game releases.

The basics:

In case anybody doesn't know, whenever you fire an usupressed gun or your opponents have a UAV in the air, you appear as an orange dot on the opposing teams minimap.  The supressor prevents this when you fire and the ghost perk will prevent you from being on a UAV if you are moving at half speed or greater.  The orbital V-stat give the opposing team your real time posission and directon and you cannot avoid being on it through conventional means. UAV's can  be shot down and Counter UAV's blind the opposings sides radar completely. 

Using the Radar Defensively:

Quite a few players don't understand that the radar is meant to be a defensive tool rather than offensive one.  It can be used offensively, but this is much harder than it appears.  For most inexperienced players who are out hunting for kills, when they see a little orange dot appear, they immediately travel towards it to get a kill.  When players appear on the radar for firing a weapon, they are usually wounded from a gun battle and have a half empty magazine for killing someone.  However, when players are in a vulerable state they are more alert and expect other players to come and kill them.  Rushing off blindly towards a dot on the map any distance from you is a good way to get yourself killed.

By the time you reach the dot on the map, the other player has recovered any missing health, reloaded and likely moved to a different location.  Also, he may have team mates near by and they will be happy to kill you as well. Instead, you should use the knowledge you gain from the radar to gain the upper hand.  The position the dot is tells where they fired their weapon. Most likely, they are wounded and need to reload.  They are going to try and find a safe place nearby to revcover their health and pop in a fresh mag.  If you have good map knowledge, it's not hard to get an educated guess to where they are going to try and do that.  You should instead use that knowledge to go and flank that position and try to catch them off guard for an easier kill. Also, if you see multiple dots, it might be wise to avoid a group too large for you to tackle alone without the element of surprise.

The radar can also tell you quite a bit about your opposing team's play style.  Having a UAV in the air for 30 seconds reveals a lot.  When your team get's it's first UAV find a safe spot and open the whole map for a few seconds.  Count the number of dots present on a sweep.  This will tell you the number of opposing team members running stealth build.  See if there are any clusters.  This let you know if they are working in fire teams or running lone wolf style.  Watch the dots movements, this will let you know if they are camping, play objectives or just combing the map for kills randomly.  A skilled team armed with this information can dominate any game type and it's well worth the 20 to 30 seconds it takes to glean it. 

I am going stop here to avoid making this too long to digest.  If there is interest in this topic I might add to it later.  Also feel free to share any additional tips you have or ask any questions. 

Level 10
26 REPLIES

Re: A discussion on using radar

in reply to darkrangeresp

Being a born-again HC player, I'm well conditioned to playing without the mini-map. To be quite frank, I only really use the UAV to get a rough fix of whats happening with the spawns and if I'm about to run into trouble. I use my VSAT primarily to protect my streak, getting kills is a secondary concern. I tend to start of streaks at 100mph, and by the time my VSAT goes up I've almost ground to a halt hahaha!

Level 31

in reply to Bielsalmighty

Players tend to be less radar reliant in hard core due to the removal of the minimap with the rest of the HUD.   There are also some players who prefer to do without and that is fine too. I am just trying to offer some advise to players who want to use the radar to improve their performance. 

Level 10

I did wonder if you'd think I was being holier than thou LOL wasn't my intention at all, was just offering my personal take on Radar use.

Back on Blops 1 I ran Spy Plane and Counter Spy Plane as standard. Amazing how much of an advantage you can gain by spamming those two out. Foxed many an enemy team that did

Level 31

One thing Ive learned is that when you see a red dot from enemy fire its always hard to guess which direction they went or where they are hiding and etc. Like you said, with map knowledge you can usually have a good idea where the enemy went but its best to just take a quick glance and if you dont see the enemy then just take note and move on.

Way too many times I have jumped the gun after seeing a red dot assuming I knew where the enemy is and ended up gettting killed by that person or his teammate. I would actually consider this a bad habit of mine.

PS

Good topic

Level 28

Radar is a throwback to good fps games.  Playing this game is the factor in survival as it's your last hope in not being downgraded to pretending children's games make you a good player.  You are over under thinking.    Go fight if you can't get out radar is a joke and you are the punchline.

Level 3

in reply to darkstaar13

darkstaar13 wrote:

Radar is a throwback to good fps games.  Playing this game is the factor in survival as it's your last hope in not being downgraded to pretending children's games make you a good player.  You are over under thinking.    Go fight if you can't get out radar is a joke and you are the punchline.

what?

Level 45

in reply to darkstaar13

darkstaar13 wrote:

This guy has been posting the weirdest most incomprehensible posts! He leaves you guessing what prescription hes on.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to darkstaar13

I have read this about 5 times and I still just don't have a clue what you are talking about. At all.

Level 6

in reply to GP95RT

Think hes trying to say that only "bad" players use radar, or something along those lines. Its difficult to tell what people are saying when theyre on drugs lol.

Level 35

Studios