Brainstorming Ways to Save the COD community from nihilist moral shipwreck

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: Brainstorming Ways to Save the COD community from nihilist moral shipwreck

in reply to Kalkiavatara

A very interesting post, exquisitely composed and, as Starbuck noted, poetically executed.  That being said, I think that your concerns are somewhat misdirected, as the root cause lies outside of the realms of the Call of Duty universe and is an issue for wider society as a whole.  Desensitisation due to information overload, the rising popularity of "shock" humour, the well-documented deleterious effects on human behaviour as a by-product of internet anonymity and individual social circumstances are all at play here.  The magnitude and scope of the problem is enormous and complex and its solutions are far beyond what could reasonably be achievable through dialogue on a forum of this nature. 

I think it's important to point out that the behaviour and actions of those referenced in your post represents the activity of a minority of the community.  The majority, at least in my experience, tend to keep to themselves and abide by the code of conduct.  There are negative elements within many, and perhaps all sub-sections of the gaming community and it is in no way limited to those who play Call of Duty.

The Developers and enforcement team for there part seem to do a pretty decent job in dealing with infractions when they are flagged to them, but we are dealing with cases of poor taste and offensive imagery rather than outright instances of criminality so the punitive actions need to be measured and proportionate, which I think they are.  All we can do really for our part is report emblems that, in our own estimation are crossing a line of taste and decency 

Level 29

in reply to WKMMS

I only read two lines and I could tell this post is a good answer

At least this thread seems more educated then the "Why did my flag get me banned" post

But over the past year I can say I have seen some animal sex emblems but not as many. As for child based emblems I have seen none. There are still quite a few racist based emblems but what do you expect from a civilization which is now more full of generic hatred toward each other than there was in the "pervert" group. Since you got the case of anonymity now the "fun" of showing hatred has spread faster than the actual hatred itself.

With Microsoft keeping things such as privacy on the internet more sacred than before it has backfired into this monstrous behemoth that we have to deal with.

Level 72

in reply to Kalkiavatara

So basically you dislike some things the COD community does.  If you have managed to navigate here and post you should be somewhat familiar with the internet and very aware that this is not a COD issue.  The company in charge does take action against offensive emblems.  I believe your post is intentionally silly and ignorant.

Lets brainstorm. My interpretation of your language is a condemnation of players based on a moralistic view.  While I will say that inappropriate emblems should be removed one must understand that it takes time.  The bigger issue is the condemnation and your interpretation of how players feel.  One can joke about things while being opposed to them and to say people are nihilistic because of jokes is irresponsible.  I do not know what country you are from but the global tendency is to create laws both to punish people for actions deemed unfit and in some cases to protect freedom of speech.

Also the ideals you are pushing are absurd.  How would one be non glib.  Respond to the inundation of questionable actions with extreme moral indignation and actions.  We would never be able to play a game we would be too busy crying out for a cessation of immorality to ever actually enjoy anything.  Also it is not for you to decide how one must react to  the most criminally atrocious acts.  Are we to fully empathize break down and dedicate our lives to the prevention of not only those acts but the mere mention of them?

You make reference to a moral vacuum.  I would say that a moral vacuum is not inherently immoral.  While it may seem trivial in a fps (by the way you are playing a shooting simulator in which your reasons for killing humans and animals is murky) there are positives that can come from it.  The company will punish those who violate the letter of the law but you can not force morals on people and you need to be less offended or abandon your adventure into the internet.

Edit:  I forgot the rating system is there to protect you from seeing things you believe are immoral.  If your moral faculty disagrees then you need not be here.  Also "radical individualism so limitless, sadistic and psychopathic/dyssocial aggressors against all human decency" is the most naive thing I have ever read.  You don't go from flowery happy humans to the unfiltered evil that exists in human minds through COD.  You are absurd sir and you would have to do a lot of research before you could even pretend to have an understanding of what you are talking about.

Level 3

in reply to Kalkiavatara

You can't change the community, you can only control your own behavior.

The community is a diverse mix of people, cultures, attitudes, and behaviors. The worst will always be more visible (The old squeaky wheel), but there are good people out there.. a lot of them.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

Some kids pee in the pool because there parents dont think its wrong either . They dont have the thought that other people have feelings.

Level 72

in reply to Kalkiavatara

I appreciate everyone responding who was sincere. The most odd and random reasons were given as pretexts to personally attack me in the private message box. Those out there who remotely know me, know I meant well here... Semantic and other issues are irrelevant here..

Based on the response received both privately and publicly, I myself am disengaging from this topic. FoxHound can decide what to do now, I'm lost. Bizarre. I only wanted to create positive moral uplift around here, for people to reflect a little... I meant no ill. I apologize to all offended.

FoxHound, or whoever is deputized, decide what you think is best for the company I guess... I in my own eyes was hoping against hope once again and trying to do an experiment in cultural-moral dialogue, and the responses I have received are even wilder than previous ones... Whatever is best for all.

Level 2

in reply to Kalkiavatara

If you believe in something.. stick with it. Every thread you have ever started... you run away from.

You are passionate about this. Engage in some positive conversation with folks and ignore those who are just rude or nasty about it as they don't deserve the attention.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

PM nicedrewishfela.

Level 2

in reply to Kalkiavatara

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions my friend.

Apology accepted.

Now, climb down from your high horse, get some mud on your boots soldier. Change the world one frag at a time

Level 7

in reply to Kalkiavatara

Kalkiavatara wrote:

Based on the response received both privately and publicly, I myself am disengaging from this topic. FoxHound can decide what to do now, I'm lost. Bizarre. I only wanted to create positive moral uplift around here, for people to reflect a little... I meant no ill. I apologize to all offended

Don't give in to the very people whom you're trying to expose.  Don't be so melodramtic.  Like I said, notwithstanding I might feel your writing can be simplified a bit, I agree with the point you're trying to make. 

Level 39

Studios