Changing Xbox DNS settings

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Changing Xbox DNS settings

Hi All

Ok I was experiencing the awful lag issues (insta-death, no bullet recognition, going negative in every game and not being able to compete in any 50/50 gunfight etc etc...) so I read up on it and this simple fix has totally sorted out the game for me.

Go into your Network settings on the xbox and change your DNS settings to:

Primary 8.8.8.8

Secondary 8.8.4.4

Sign out and back in for the change to take effect. Voila.

These are Google's servers. This means you will no longer use your own routers DNS settings and should experience a much better connection. This change has made a MASSIVE difference for me so I'm presuming this will work for everyone who doesn't currently use these settings. (My xbox was set to auto and was using my routers IP as the primary server previously).

Credit for this and full details on this here:

http://www.charlieintel.com/bo2-intel/the-elagaphant/

Hope it sorts out the issue for some of you.

Level 1
139 REPLIES

Re: Changed xbox DNS settings and it fixes lag issues completely.

in reply to lingham77

First, that's great if it's helped you out and you're able to enjoy the game more now.

But I'll just warn everyone to not get too excited... I've had my Xbox set to the google servers for years and still had the same latency issues as everyone else with MW3 and this game.

Level 5

in reply to lingham77

I remember a network guy posting these in his "elagaphant" post back on the MW3 forums...Worth showing again though.

Level 7

in reply to Cablez

Yeh that's the link I posted above to the 'Elagaphant' article. It's honestly worked a treat. I was surprised it would have such an impact.

Yeh I guess if you're already using these setting this isn't much use but I'm thinking most people won't be, they'll just be set to 'default' like I was.

Level 1

in reply to lingham77

Nice reminder post OP.

What people dont understand at all is that even IF there were no lag compensation the xbox gameplay STILL will require very low bandwidth usage.

Without lag comp they STILL would not use any of their "fast internet" since gameplay on the Xbox is set to a maximum amount. Or at least a fraction of an amount then their "30 down 5 up connection."

They still dont understand that "fast internet" is only used for downloading to a PC and streaming movies.

Lag compensation doesnt slow down your connection, all it does is smooth out the wrinkles in the lag that is normal with ALL internet connections. Without lag comp they still would not hit anything and the killcam really would be 2 or 3 seconds off.

Level 72

in reply to starbuckfrack

MW2 had lag comp in it, and it was nearly flawless. I never felt like I was behind as much as I have in MW3 and BO2. All these multiplayer games have it, it's just been implemented poorly over the last couple of games.

Level 1

in reply to lingham77

Worked well for me. I took the second 'complicated step', not the Google servers and while there is still a way to go, I've definitely noticed an improvement. Changed my primary and secondary DNS servers, didn't really worry about the MTU setting. The game is still not perfect, but it's PLAYABLE!!

EDIT: Thing is, why have I had to do this now? I've never has to fiddle with the inner workings of my internet before, but every game, including every other CoD, still functioned as intended.

Message was edited by: iKushtyy

Level 11

in reply to iKushtyy

Yeh same, this is the first time i've needed to do this too. Maybe somethign to do with the new match-making working on ping times now as opposed to location etc. Any improvement has got to be worth it. I only did the DNS change too. Glad it worked, I noticed a huge improvement last night and I'm hoping it's the same when i play again later. I just think people should give this a try, nothing to lose after all, and it's made me actually want to play this game now whereas I'd got pretty disenchanted with the constant dying up to this point. Hopefully they chuck a fix/patch out soon but for now this seems to have done the trick.

Level 1

in reply to lingham77

ive been using the google servers for two years and this game still unplayable.  3arc alone is capable of fixing this.  glad it worked for you though, assuming its not a placebo affect.

Level 4

in reply to stinklemange

Nah, It can't be a placebo effect, I was coming bottom of every match, always negative and couldn't win any 50/50 encounter. I knew it wasn't me cos I'm usually pretty consistent. As soon as I switched DNS I was top of the table for 3 games running and my SPM had doubled from 200 to 400, I clocked up a 2:1 K/D across the matches I played and I was winning the majority of 50/50 encounters. Even the ropey knifing was working spot-on. Could be I got into a weak game I guess but I could feel the difference in the bullet recognition, more like playing BO1 or MW2 for me so I think not. Other people have also said it's helped. Hopefully some people will get a benefit from it.

Level 1

Studios